What's new

GM power steering boxes/Hydroboost

Onebad68

Kind of a big deal
Member Number
Loc
Hermiston, Oregon
I have an 87' K5, 454/400/203/205 on one tons and lots of other neat stuff. I bought it for too good of a deal to pass up. When I got it it had a 350 with a nasty solid lifter cam with a 3000-7000RPM range and was everything you didnt want for a crawler. I yanked it out in favor of a warmed up 462 big block. It is setup for hydro assist and the box is tapped (havent installed the ram yet) but is an older flare style fitting box. When I had the 350 in it that would not produce hardly any vacuum and the bower brakes were a bitch to use I opted for a hydro boost setup out of a 1 ton truck.

Problem I had at the time was the hydroboost is the O-ring style lines. I was able to piece together an AN line after about 5-6 orders of getting the wrong ones and it worked great about two years ago, I took it out to a local mud bog event and all was well until the drive home when it was wandering all over the road. When I got home realized the steering box was peeled off the frame. Welded in a support and added a stiffener and parked it in the back of the shop.

Got some friends wanted to go snow wheeling soon so I went to drag it out of the shop and down to teh garage to give it a cleanup and once over. Carb is all gummed up and needs cleaned but it had no power steering, I fought it down to the garage figuring it was just low but then noticed the trail of fluid from the shop to the garage. My AN line has a pinhole in it. Looking it up now it does not look like it is rated for the pressure.

I would like to just go back to a factory hose if possible or have a local hydraulic shop make one. Does anyone know where to find the actual fitting sizes for the older GM boxes and the newer 85ish hydraboost fitting sizes? It took me forever to piece the hose together last time and dont even remember where I even got them from.

Use steel fittings on the box pump and booster and then have a local hydraulics shop make you the hoses with the appropriate pressure rating and JIC ends.

I just saw those fittings listed somewhere the other day....

I don't know the sizes but the 454 that I put in my truck at one time had a power steering pump with o-ring style hoses. I cut those connectors off and installed the flare nuts of the old hoses on it.

Wait...... If you are running AN line you must have the fittings for the box and booster already, no? Just go get new hoses made at the hydraulic shop. AN and JIC are interchangeable

Have a 1 ton M1028 that has a big block and hydro boost brakes with aeroquip stainless teflon aircraft hoses and stainless aircraft hose ends.

Will get pics of its setup, how the hoses and fittings are routed and attached etc.

ETA: the hose ends are all medium and high pressure Aeroquip 666 and 246 hose ends.

Click image for larger version Name:	20201225_172052.jpg Views:	20 Size:	345.0 KB ID:	246019 Click image for larger version Name:	20201225_172145.jpg Views:	20 Size:	277.1 KB ID:	246020 Click image for larger version Name:	20201225_172118.jpg Views:	20 Size:	235.8 KB ID:	246021

Last edited:
Wait...... If you are running AN line you must have the fittings for the box and booster already, no? Just go get new hoses made at the hydraulic shop. AN and JIC are interchangeable

Yeah Im a retard. I noticed this last night. The fittings go to a -6 AN 90' fittings on both ends. Will have a hydro shop make me a hose this coming week.

Top Back Refresh