What's new

Generator

2big bronco

Og irate
Member Number
Loc
Prunedale ca
Looking for a quite efficient generator to mount on my small trailer with water tank, steam pressure washer, and fire pump. Primary use would be for whatever I need power for more then 100' from my house, and to be used if the power goes out.

Realistically it will get run for maybe 30 minutes to an hour/ week and maybe a full day every month or so. A year from now when I get a small shop set up it will also be my primary power for that for a while.

I'm currently looking at either a honda eu7000, akubota diesel 7k, or possibly a lincoln 10k welding machine. Any of these can be had for around 4k.

Thoughts?

honda
https://www.electricgeneratordepot.c...h-imonitor-lcd

Kubota
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect...or/p62917.html

Lincoln
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Lincoln-...43-3/202339557

I really want whatever is going to last the longest with the least maintenance. Quiet is also nice but not if it means more downtime

Last edited:
I've owned the EU and it was reliable AF.

That's what I seem to remember about them but have no idea in context of hours how long they last. The 7k kubota I think is the same one they use in the light towers and those seem to last 5k+ hours.

Yup, what they said. Honda all day every day. I have a Honda generator from the early '80's that still starts first pull and still quiet. No maintenance other than cleaning the plug and adding oil once or twice. I also have a a new one and same thing so far.

Fuck the Honda’s buy a little light plant. By far the best 8k-10k 120v genset ever. I have a little Honda and prefer the light plant.

Your iron worker so a welder

Fuck anything with a carburetor running on Komifornia gas.

My friend had a gyro and baklava truck in the city that ran off a Honda similar to that EU but older. He was pretty slack about maintenance and ran it 40-50 hours a week. It had shockingly high hours last I saw. The only way it would start is if I pulled the plug and put a tablespoon of oil in the cylinder to seal it up and give It compression. Then it would run all day and restart if you shut it down briefly. He is probably still dumping oil in it every morning and thanking god he got the fuck out of the Middle East when he did.

Last edited:
don't you have an 8k laying around trying to get sold? 4k buys a lot of fuel and ear muffs

We have the 8k EFI generac from Costco. It's rated for 8k continuous, so it's comparable to a 10k. I don't know if I would call it exactly quiet, but are any of the 7k+ machines? It was also $1000, so.....? Light plant or small diesel tow behind would be much better, but they usually aren't cheap.

Predator 8750 or 9000. Hell buy two of them. Honda if you need clean inverter power, i have n eu2200, but i love my predator 9000.

The Predator ones have been getting good reviews.

I plan on buying one here shortly as I am sick of the winter power outages every year.

We have several of the hondas at work. They fore up every time we need them. With a small load I think they'll run for 10 to 12 hours before needing fuel. Mayne longer, thsts just as long as we've had to let them run during a PSPS to keep some of our switches up.

i've thought allot about getting two of the predator 3500 inverter units and a parallel kit.

3500w when you need it and 7000 when you need it. if there where a parallel kit that would spit out 220v i'd do it in a heartbeat.

the 3500 is a really good unit me and allot of our group have been using them for a long time when camping and for any thing else. they really are one of the quietest gens out there. the generators i own and use are a trailblazer325efi, cummins onan cmqd10k, and predator 3500 invertor. they are all great machines, the price of the predator makes it the absolute best value.

Last edited:
I've got one of the Predator 2000s and so far it has been solid for a year. I can run it ~40' from an open window and sleep through it.

I used it this summer and last summer for PGE 'scary wind' shut offs. I ran it two days straight two days ago with no issues; I've got a freezer and a fridge on it.

I also used it during winter with tree down power outages. Low 30s on a shelf under a 'roof' in the snow was no issue.

It has just enough power to run a Skillsaw if I 'light' start it before hitting wood.:eek:

If you want efficient get diesel.

My 7kw Chinese no-name one will run for 10 hours loaded on 4 gallons. We were using 8+ gallons in a gas generac to run the same loads.

Mine was free because it stopped working. Replaced a capacitor and all is fine. :laughing:

I've got one of the Predator 2000s and so far it has been solid for a year. I can run it ~40' from an open window and sleep through it.

I used it this summer and last summer for PGE 'scary wind' shut offs. I ran it two days straight two days ago with no issues; I've got a freezer and a fridge on it.

I also used it during winter with tree down power outages. Low 30s on a shelf under a 'roof' in the snow was no issue.

It has just enough power to run a Skillsaw if I 'light' start it before hitting wood.:eek:

This
we ran one every single night, all night for 6 months
also used it for a circular saw, let it spin up first:laughing:

I would probably buy 2 different generators, one of these to move around, and a diesel light plant

I'll admit, I've been thinking about a 2k inverter just to run the swamp cooler and some fans at night. For now, screw it, I'll run the big bitch :flipoff2:

7k for ultimate shop use sounds a little light duty

lower RPM = high efficiency, seems like a 10k weldernator would be the better fit

Top Back Refresh