What's new

Generator wtf, What would IBB do?

Boss

Rabble-Rouser
Member Number
Loc
Salem Oregon
I bought this Kipor inverter generator a few years ago on CL. It tested good and ran like a champ. I fired it up now and again to keep it fresh. Never really loaded it. Just ran som random shit to make sure it worked.

Well as you probably guessed. It didn't work when I needed it.:homer: it started right up but once I put the pellet stove on it it ran for a minute then went into overload. I fucked with it for a bit (1:30 in the fucking morning) and kicked it to the curb. I braved the storm to my work and grabbed the Honda.

Since then I bought a Honda cuz that fucker always works flawlessly. Now I've fucked with this some more and these are my findings.

The stator produces voltage. 120vac each leg the inverter doesn't put out any voltage. The overload light comes on with no load. I'm suspicious of the overload modual. Is there a way to test this shit? Can it be as simple as replacing the overload module??

If it needs a new inverter it's junk because it will cost more than I paid. Can I make a non inverter generator out of it worse case?? Looking for someone knowledgeable in fucking with these things.

photo51496.jpg

20210306_154557.jpg

20210306_160505.jpg

20210306_160511.jpg

20210306_154546.jpg

how much is an overload module?

do you get voltage at the outlet before the overload module trips? Almost sounds like something is shorted on the inside.

how much is an overload module?

do you get voltage at the outlet before the overload module trips? Almost sounds like something is shorted on the inside.

Can't find shit in the webs regarding testing the inverter. From what I found they either work or they do not. I'd like to bypass the overload module somehow. They can be had at $150 but I'm not excited to get one without testing it.

I have no idea but why can't you rip it down to basics and install a HF inverter? Theoretically speaking...

oh god look at all those wires
jesus I gotta stock up on more of those old fuckin onan 2-cyl motorhome gensets

HA-HA

That's what you get for taking something as beautifully simple as fire and making it need electricity.

Carry on!

:laughing: fuck yeah, ran by itself on it's own thermostat for 3 days. Fuck stoking the fire at every hour of the night. :flipoff2:

[486 said:
;n334538]oh god look at all those wires
Because they're wireless :confused: ? :flipoff2:

they got like ten miles of wires in them too, but they're all just shellacked copper like they should be, and none of that potted circuit board shenanigans

I have no idea but why can't you rip it down to basics and install a HF inverter? Theoretically speaking...

The inverters in gensets Take AC convert to DC then back to AC. Not your standard DC inverter. Basically they "clean" up the generator power so that lights and sensitive equipment don't have issues such as flickering and damaging electronics.

If I were to get it working I'd probably sell it rather than throw it away. It's not enough power to run the electric water heater anyway.

Our water stayed warm for the whole time but it would have been nice to shower lol. I'll start looking for a 30 amp unit for that. The honda inverter is really all I needed for everything else. I ran 2 refrigerators, a pellet stove, security system internet, big screen TV, and any lights I wanted, (all LED) . It's small and puts out 15 amps.

you could probably get an inverter meant for solar panels, they take in "whatever volts the panels make because whatever sun they see" and spit out normal juice
just feed the genset's output through a rectifier and then into the solar panel inputs on the inverter

Probably a simple part - the hard part is finding what the failed electronic bit is. Possible it's as simple as the overload module, or sometime weird and simple gone amuck, but I'd bet it's going to be far more frustrating than it's worth to find and fix.

[486 said:
;n334563]

they got like ten miles of wires in them too, but they're all just shellacked copper like they should be, and none of that potted circuit board shenanigans

Inverter generators are the same as regular generators.. They just have the added awesomeness of functioning inverters. ..er um...well not in this case. :flipoff2: You get what you pay for color me shocked.... Got this unit at a steal. Guessing he knew it was a farked up lemon.

Anywho...just trying to salvage it. If I can make a generator out of it and sell it for a couple bucks. (informing the new owner of course) at least it won't contribute to the landfill. How ever...if it can be made whole by fixing something stupid it can supplement my power. Or just be there for back up.

[486 said:
;n334566]you could probably get an inverter meant for solar panels, they take in "whatever volts the panels make because whatever sun they see" and spit out normal juice
just feed the genset's output through a rectifier and then into the solar panel inputs on the inverter

I just need to run a pellet stove not start my house on fire. :flipoff2:

It probably suicided itself once it heard you power up the stereo and start blasting korn:flipoff2:
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
Muther fuckle.... you need to....
stick man.jpg

[486 said:
;n334538]oh god look at all those wires

Shhh. 6.0CCKB here:smokin:

[486 said:
;n334566]you could probably get an inverter meant for solar panels, they take in "whatever volts the panels make because whatever sun they see" and spit out normal juice

those are designed to be powered with DC voltage.

you'd have to rectify the AC voltage coming out of the machine and then pump it back into an inverter.

but I'm sure that there's other things that board does. Is it mechanically governed?

:laughing: fuck yeah, ran by itself on it's own thermostat for 3 days. Fuck stoking the fire at every hour of the night. :flipoff2:

What the hell do you need to cook for 3 days? A brisket only takes 12 hours an will run on a load of coals from the time you light it to the time you need to wrap it. :shaking:

The inverters in gensets Take AC convert to DC then back to AC. Not your standard DC inverter. Basically they "clean" up the generator power so that lights and sensitive equipment don't have issues such as flickering and damaging electronics.

If I were to get it working I'd probably sell it rather than throw it away. It's not enough power to run the electric water heater anyway.

Our water stayed warm for the whole time but it would have been nice to shower lol. I'll start looking for a 30 amp unit for that. The honda inverter is really all I needed for everything else. I ran 2 refrigerators, a pellet stove, security system internet, big screen TV, and any lights I wanted, (all LED) . It's small and puts out 15 amps.

Yeah you'll need a couple of diodes, I got mine off of an old cabinet stereo. You can even throw a capacitor in there if you absolutely have to.

Shhh. 6.0CCKB here:smokin:
cck: all parts NLA
doesn't matter one bit because they never die and there's a billion of them floating around
those are designed to be powered with DC voltage.
you'd have to rectify the AC voltage coming out of the machine and then pump it back into an inverter.
but I'm sure that there's other things that board does. Is it mechanically governed?
reading>you :flipoff2:
I'm sure it's got a mechanical overspeed governor, and those solar inverters can be set up for like 40-600V input

[486 said:
;n335013]
cck: all parts NLA
doesn't matter one bit because they never die and there's a billion of them floating around

reading>you :flipoff2:
I'm sure it's got a mechanical overspeed governor, and those solar inverters can be set up for like 40-600V input

yes, DC voltage, because solar panels don't make AC power.

which is why you need an inverter in the first place
:flipoff2:

yes, DC voltage, because solar panels don't make AC power.

which is why you need an inverter in the first place

you're still not reading the post you quoted back in #17
I mean it is near the end of the post and it's hard to read my garbage typing and formatting but still :p

[486 said:
;n335044]

you're still not reading the post you quoted back in #17
I mean it is near the end of the post and it's hard to read my garbage typing and formatting but still :p

fuck you

in my defense, I was pretty fucked up last night.

Boss dude: goto costco buy a decent generator and be done with it.

Maybe you have learned a generator is not something you buy on CL.

I say costco for such things as I dont personally have the time and patience to go dicking around with the generators internals.

Not sure what the warranty period is with the costco items of that nature but it has to be better than so character off CL selling the same type of thing.

Top Back Refresh