120/240. 50/25a
60hz 1 phase pf 1. I don't know WTF that means

The mast and lights are long gone, wires cut

seller never verified that it made power, just sat for years

has 4 breakers for 4 lights
has 1 breaker for 120 and 1 breaker for 240

It has 4 larger gauge wires coming from generator head red/ white/ black/ green

I can only get 6 and 12 v dc from these, that doesn't make any sense to me

in an hour or so I'll probably drop it at my electricians house, but would like to rule out some things first

ideas?

I'll post pics shortly

thanks

[No message]

photo36523.jpg

photo36524.jpg

Exciter coil bad or magnet weak?

I have seen ways of waking those up by inducing a reverse current through the panel with 110/220 generators. Use something like an old corded drill...something with high draw. You can spin it backwards with the trigger pulled, causing an excitation current to flow into the circuit and it will kick-start the generation of electricity.

Some generators, when sitting for a long time without use, will lose magnetism.

The capacitors were probably for Metal Halide light heads. You would need to check the primary output voltage after the generator.

Exciter coil bad or magnet weak?

I have seen ways of waking those up by inducing a reverse current through the panel with 110/220 generators. Use something like an old corded drill...something with high draw. You can spin it backwards with the trigger pulled, causing an excitation current to flow into the circuit and it will kick-start the generation of electricity.

Some generators, when sitting for a long time without use, will lose magnetism.

I'd heard something about this, I need to look into it

Second set of pictures is the one that’s bad. These little light tower generators do not really have a voltage regulator. They just use a capacitor to regulate the voltage. I forget if I had to shock it to get it going once I replaced it. I’ll have to look see if I can find manual.

Last edited:
Second set of pictures is the one that’s bad. These little light tower generators do not really have a voltage regulator. They just use a capacitor to regulate the voltage. I forget if I had to shock it to get it going once I replaced it. I’ll have to look see if I can find manual.

So I pulled the coke can capacitor out, it's surprisingly light, maybe it leaked/ burned/ smoked

I saw something where you flash it with a car battery

is this brushless?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ArgWJI2yHQ

Start with this video and there are more (and probably better ones) that can go into the science of it.

I just tried this with a dremel tool, couldn't find a Chuck key for my old hole hog, not much eke inn corded drills anymore......

it didn't work for me

Now I'm thinking I can pull one of the light capacitors to test the generator?

So I pulled the coke can capacitor out, it's surprisingly light, maybe it leaked/ burned/ smoked

I saw something where you flash it with a car battery

is this brushless?
Read the pdf I posted it tells you how to check them.

I just tried this with a dremel tool, couldn't find a Chuck key for my old hole hog, not much eke inn corded drills anymore......

it didn't work for me

a dremel is not a heavy draw implement. You need something with a large brushed motor that has a sufficient locked rotor amps rating to draw a decent load upon startup.

it didn't work for me

Did you get it working?

Did you get it working?

I called my electrician, Jack of all trades friend asking about testing the capacitor, he tells me he'll look at it, drop it at his house 30 min away. I make it real clear it's not producing, not a distribution problem. I deliver. 2 days later he calls asking what I'm doing, "uh, coming over to bask in the awesomeness of portable diesel powered electricity? "

no, his sons car broke a ball joint on the road and needed a tow. So I did it. And he told me that he checked all the wiring, but doesn't know anything about generators, so I have it back now, still not working. But on the plus side, this little generator has seen some nice scenery:laughing:

I tried to save some time and it cost me, I'll order that capacitor and screw with it after Christmas

I called my electrician, Jack of all trades friend asking about testing the capacitor, he tells me he'll look at it, drop it at his house 30 min away. I make it real clear it's not producing, not a distribution problem. I deliver. 2 days later he calls asking what I'm doing, "uh, coming over to bask in the awesomeness of portable diesel powered electricity? "

no, his sons car broke a ball joint on the road and needed a tow. So I did it. And he told me that he checked all the wiring, but doesn't know anything about generators, so I have it back now, still not working. But on the plus side, this little generator has seen some nice scenery:laughing:

I tried to save some time and it cost me, I'll order that capacitor and screw with it after Christmas

Did you read that pdf I linked to. It walks you through how to figure those guys out. The cap is easy to check as long as your multi meter can do it.

Regular electricians are no good with gensets. You need to find a welder repair guy. I’m blessed to have a electrical wizard nearby who worked at marathon electric for many years.

but wait, there's more:laughing:

I got distracted from the light plant, I'll circle back to that one

I bought this 3kw libby military surplus generator from a cl whacko, no real info to go with it, just a gamble

it's supposed to use 24v battery pack or "slave cable" to power it up

It has a single cylinder yanmar diesel engine, with a 12v starter.

I initially jumped the starter off 12v and got it running, but no display on the LCD screen

today I rigged up 2 batteries to make 24v, it started using the momentary toggle switch, but no LCD display, none of the 8 or so idiot lights

admittedly I didn't check 120v this time, with the 24v hooked up, I'll try that this evening

no fuses I can see

Anybody screw around with these? Have experience operating a functional one?

I've seen a bunch of other 3kw military gen sets, but come up empty searching this one

photo43148.jpg

I’m guessing here but maybe the generator control system needs a 24 Vdc to run it, the voltage regulator, and your display.

If you knew the two wires going to the field and what polarity, I can help you flash the field.

At least the engine runs.
Got to ask, when the engine is running are you sure the generator is spinning? First thing that has to happen to make voltage.
Ask me how I know....

Try over at steel soldiers.com, they probably have the manual for it

I’m guessing here but maybe the generator control system needs a 24 Vdc to run it, the voltage regulator, and your display.

If you knew the two wires going to the field and what polarity, I can help you flash the field.

At least the engine runs.
Got to ask, when the engine is running are you sure the generator is spinning? First thing that has to happen to make voltage.
Ask me how I know....

Good info guys, I'll look a little deeper tomorrow

I was going to point out that you have a problem...then I looked at your username.

Top Back Refresh