What's new

Generator exhaust muffler

zukemt

Member Number
Searched and didn't see anything relevant.

So, to save the missus and brats from the icepacolyps and snowmaggedon I purchased a generator (Briggs and Stratton 389cc) and it did just fine for running the furnace, fridge, couple space heaters and some kitchen appliances, the only issue is the fawking thing is ridiculously loud (even by construction site standards). Contrary to popular belief I actually do give a shit (small one) about my neighbors and also would rather not advertise the generator's existence due to the proximity of a shitty neighborhood Has anyone installed a quieter exhaust on their gen and, if so, what did you use?

Cliffs:
Bought portable gas gen
Too fucking loud
Need muffler ideas

We had a 10HP Wisconsin on a woodsplitter growing up that had pipe coming out of the exhaust port, then it went into a car muffler. Was fairly quiet, but you still got a fair amount of noise radiating out of the jug.

Aaron Z

We had a 10HP Wisconsin on a woodsplitter growing up that had pipe coming out of the exhaust port, then it went into a car muffler. Was fairly quiet, but you still got a fair amount of noise radiating out of the jug.

Aaron Z

I think a car muffler combined with some some plywood panels around the generator could help

unless you have more time then money i wouldn't mess with trying to quit it down. but a car muffler and insulated inclosure are about all you can do. might not hurt to try to quiet the intake as well, theres a formula i cant find right now for side chambers (like the weird box things hanging off all new car intakes) that may even help. the exhaust is only some of the noise, allot of it is the motor and generator head

if you can make it work with the habor freight 3500w invertor machines. they are bad ass, super quiet, and even my wife doesn't have a problem starting it.. just push the button. if you need more juice get 2 of them and runn paralel. i think you could even run 220v with two pallalled?? not sure. i've been just as happy with these hf gennys as the honda we used to use.

So something off of a stock Mustang or stock ricer should work? Got kids of all ages (say 35 and under) putting those obnoxious shit sounding exhausts on their wannabe 2F2F cars, should be able to find the cut offs without to much effort. I like the box idea to go along with the muffler, just need to design it so it comes apart for storage. Thanks guys!!!

So something off of a stock Mustang or stock ricer should work? Got kids of all ages (say 35 and under) putting those obnoxious shit sounding exhausts on their wannabe 2F2F cars, should be able to find the cut offs without to much effort. I like the box idea to go along with the muffler, just need to design it so it comes apart for storage. Thanks guys!!!

Just make sure you have enough airflow through the box to not overheat the generator.

Aaron Z

Just make sure you have enough airflow through the box to not overheat the generator.

Aaron Z

x2 but it should be ok in an ice storm with minimal air flow

still going to be loud because its spinning at 3600rpm, good generators have radiators and spin at 1800rpm :flipoff2:

You want the cheapest OEM replacement muffler you can find. The key is a perforated baffle design. You don't want a chambered design.

When our power is out, I run the miller bobcat IN the shop. I have 3' of flex pipe and 10' of rigid pipe to go outside, under the garage door. Then I slip on a car muffler at the end. It helps tremendously. It changes the noise to something tolerable, and cuts probably 30% of the noise volume.

Having the muffler half way down the pipe would be better.

Some day I will permanently install it through the wall.

if you can make it work with the habor freight 3500w invertor machines. they are bad ass, super quiet, and even my wife doesn't have a problem starting it.. just push the button. if you need more juice get 2 of them and runn paralel. i think you could even run 220v with two pallalled?? not sure. i've been just as happy with these hf gennys as the honda we used to use.

This ^

We've had ours for 5 yrs, it won't run the house AC unit but it handles everything else we need. Great on fuel, 2 pulls to start or the battery. I use my fuel jug and run it like you do a boat so I don't have to refill the fuel tank.
So quiet, under load you can stand next to it and talk

x2 but it should be ok in an ice storm with minimal air flow

still going to be loud because its spinning at 3600rpm, good generators have radiators and spin at 1800rpm :flipoff2:

Hopefully no more ice storms for a while (like 20 years or so).

I've done this on an old onan powered welder/gen
got a nissan versa muffler on it, they fall apart at a flange real convenient and all, all stainless except for the one flange

anyways, didn't find it significantly quieter than just running the screw on mufflers it came with
most of the noise comes from all the panels rattling and air cooled engines are just naturally very loud through the cylinder head
this had an oil bath air cleaner, so that's a very good intake muffler

My vote's on making up a little doghouse for it. labyrinth path on both sides for ventilation, place one wherever the fan happens to blow the hardest and the other vent nearest to where it sucks

I used an '89 Honda Accord muffler on my toy hauler's Onan 5500 and it did help quite a bit. But that's an Onan that spins at 1800 RPM, has rubber isolators, NHV cladding and is up in the bowels of a trailer.

Most of the noise you are hearing is the harmonics of the engine and generator - the biggest thing you can do to quiet it down is put MDF sheets around the generator when its running. Guys do this in the desert all the time.

Aaron Z

Permanently mounted fan on inside of box that turns on when the generator is started.

:homer:

8bce0ccd9a5842fb4addc89126e583f7.jpg

Top Back Refresh