What's new

Garage door spring tensioning tech

Baconator

Member Number
I have 2 16W x 14T garage doors in a shop I recently put up. I installed the doors but have never been happy with the tension on them.
Manufacturer recommended 10.9 Turns of the spring, at that level I couldn't even lift them up. I increased it to 14 turns, now they balance about 1/2 way up, but is really heavy at the bottom, and hard to get down once at the top.
I thought maybe I had the wrong springs but I have confirmed with the manufacturer that they are correct for my doors.

I plan on installing a Jackshaft opener at some point, however that wont be for a while. Id like to have the doors so that my wife can open and close them, right now she cant lift them up, or pull them back down once they are up.

Same issue with my door, but it's only 12x12. I was thinking maybe drum diameter could fix it. But I won't mess with it and just get an opener.

I'm in no way an OH door tech, but have you made sure the rollers are running free? It sounds like you have the springs too tight, and maybe the hard to lift part is a separate problem. I helped my brother re-tension his and it only took about half a turn to make it go from not staying up, to wanting to fly up on its own once released. 3 full turns over recommended seems like a lot.

I'm in no way an OH door tech, but have you made sure the rollers are running free? It sounds like you have the springs too tight, and maybe the hard to lift part is a separate problem. I helped my brother re-tension his and it only took about half a turn to make it go from not staying up, to wanting to fly up on its own once released. 3 full turns over recommended seems like a lot.

Ill check them again, that would make sense. It comes flying down once you get it moving and its pretty quiet, so I think they're moving freely.

2, equally wound

Are you sure the pulleys are synchronized correctly and not jamming? When it's 1/2" from being closed is the gap equal across the bottom and square to the tracks?

Is it an insulated door and you're using the spec's for un insulated?

Are you sure the pulleys are synchronized correctly and not jamming? When it's 1/2" from being closed is the gap equal across the bottom and square to the tracks?

Is it an insulated door and you're using the spec's for un insulated?

Yea, insulated and with struts, I verified that twice now. I have another similar door and its springs are about 12" longer, but not as large of a diameter, so my seat of the pants tell me they should be about right.
Ill check the pulleys again, both doors come down pretty evenly, but ill check again.

I just re read the OP, those are some big doors to be opening by hand. Is it realistic to be able to open them by hand? Also, the springs want to kill you if they haven't told you already.

Yea, insulated and with struts, I verified that twice now. I have another similar door and its springs are about 12" longer, but not as large of a diameter, so my seat of the pants tell me they should be about right.
Ill check the pulleys again, both doors come down pretty evenly, but ill check again.

longer springs will work better for your issue, longer springs are better for taller doors

I just re read the OP, those are some big doors to be opening by hand. Is it realistic to be able to open them by hand? Also, the springs want to kill you if they haven't told you already.

I have the same size door in my other shop that I can open by hand much easier than these 2.

Update- Door Co fucked up and gave me the wrong springs, gave me the correct set and they work awesome now.
Wasted a solid month and lots of hours, probably shouldnt DIY a garage door again.

Update- Door Co fucked up and gave me the wrong springs, gave me the correct set and they work awesome now.
Wasted a solid month and lots of hours, probably shouldnt DIY a garage door again.

My door spring broke last month. I had planned on fixing it myself until I noticed it was one of those lame Wayne Dalton door with the internal spring. I said fuck it and called an installer to change it out. He replaced it with a proper spring. When the damn spring broke I knew immediately what it was. I walked back over to the door and looked up. I felt like a fucking retard not seeing a traditional spring there. :homer::homer:

Be real careful when winding the springs up, those rods fly out and can go thru a wall.

Search about the jack shaft openers before you buy one. I was pretty sure I wanted one until I read about them and how many issues they have.

I have a good local residential door installer that is privately owned and has a small crew. They know their shit and I don't have to risk my life on those dangerous springs.

But for jackshaft openers, that's getting into commercial territory and I would call in one of the bigger companies to install and support that system. I've dealt with them on industrial sites and they're great when they work, but absolutely fucked when they fail.

Top Back Refresh