What's new

Garage air filtration system

Duc

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
ABQ NM
Something I should have looked into years ago but never cross my mind till the other day. I had to use about 10-15 cut off wheels to make a ballast box for my tractor since I dont have a plasma cutter. Not a smell I enjoy nor did I want to open the garage door to get a cross breeze, dam cold outside and windy. Also had no desire to build my own for some reason. Amazon has a few smaller units for 250-500 with the large jet unit cost $800 before shipping.

RV bay = 7,056 cu ft
2 Car = 12,000 cu ft
Roughly = 17,000 cu ft

Calculations online recommend sizes the system to turn over the air in the garage about 6 times per hour. The garage would require multiple units to turn over the air 6 times if I purchased the smaller units for 300-500 each. But I was able to find a large unit in town on ebay. The seller accepted $500 with extra filters. Guess he would have taken 300 since he only sells computer stuff.

1707523918242.png

Dam thing was brand new with the remote inside the box. Tractor to rescue
1707524065907.png

I should check to see the additional cost of the bag filters
1707524544921.png

Cluster fuck since the tractor doesnt reach high enough. I should have raise the unit up on the pallet with boxes or something to get more height.
1707524228344.png

Had to get a little creative to lift the front end up.
1707524297979.png

Almost finished done with install
1707524415351.png

I have a attic fan in the wall, it was cheap
when it needs a boost, I always buy the 20" box fans that are on sale every winter

open the door and blow
or a 20x20 air filter stuck to the back of a box fan, that will work on cold days

Keep us updated on how it works. Will be interesting if it truly knocks down the dust.
Units most make a difference if a buddy bought a second unit for 2300 for another building. I will keep thread updated over time with how well it functions.

Ventilation > filtration
I enjoy keeping my garage at 65-70 when I work in there. Alot cheaper to recirculate the air then trying to heat/cool with a door open.

$500 for that thing is a steal. What's the power requirements?
Specs call for 110v@13amps when at full speed but has 3 different speed settings

I have a attic fan in the wall, it was cheap
when it needs a boost, I always buy the 20" box fans that are on sale every winter

open the door and blow
or a 20x20 air filter stuck to the back of a box fan, that will work on cold days
There is alot of websites with test data and build instructions for the home made systems. Normally I dont shy away from homemade things but hard to beat the price.

I've had a Jet one for ~15 years. It's ok, but an exhaust fan works much better.

I've been considering building something like this with one of the air door fan units I have in storage. Very interested to hear how well this works for you.

Ventilation is best sure, but it is tough to waste all the conditioned air in a hot summer, or in a cold winter.

For 500 I would have bought it too. I run dual box fans with furnace filters. They work but the single filter cuts down on flow quite a bit. Need to make box frames for them that take 5 filters each.

You know what's cheaper? A 3m 7500 series half mask respirator and 2097/2297 filters lol it's also wayyy better for you since you're breathing in practically zero of the dust compared to waiting for the filter to get it.

For 500 I would have bought it too. I run dual box fans with furnace filters. They work but the single filter cuts down on flow quite a bit. Need to make box frames for them that take 5 filters each.
Use the 4+" thick filters, there is a substantial difference in air flow of the thicker filters.

Use the 4+" thick filters, there is a substantial difference in air flow of the thicker filters.
The price makes them not worth it. The amount of pleats is way less and the filter area isn't that much greater than the thinner ones.

The price makes them not worth it. The amount of pleats is way less and the filter area isn't that much greater than the thinner ones.

Price and filtering are relative.

Hardly scientific testing but it's better than I have seen elsewhere.

Screenshot_20240212_231326_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_231416_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_231443_Firefox.jpg

Screenshot_20240212_231456_Firefox.jpg

Top Back Refresh