What's new

Fun with trick shots how about 700+ yds offhand with iron sights?

One would think that the "low frequency, high amplitude vibration" from your own heartbeat would make it virtually impossible, or a pure stroke of luck, to strike a such a small target, offhand, at that range with any rifle. I can hit an eight-inch gong consistently at ~300yds with my M1A but that is from a rock-solid rest with NM sights. I cannot hit that gong, offhand with that rifle, at only a hundred yards simply because of my heartbeat (I've tried). I have done it ONCE with my 686 revolver, however. The top video (700+ yds) I call bullshit...

One would think that the "low frequency, high amplitude vibration" from your own heartbeat would make it virtually impossible, or a pure stroke of luck, to strike a such a small target, offhand, at that range with any rifle. I can hit an eight-inch gong consistently at ~300yds with my M1A but that is from a rock-solid rest with NM sights. I cannot hit that gong, offhand with that rifle, at only a hundred yards simply because of my heartbeat (I've tried). I have done it ONCE with my 686 revolver, however. The top video (700+ yds) I call bullshit...

Learned a long time ago, that just because I cant do it doesnt mean its impossible:homer:

I'm sure there were more than a couple shots before he got it dialed in and a hit, But I dont doubt that it is doable.

Learned a long time ago, that just because I cant do it doesnt mean its impossible:homer:

I'm sure there were more than a couple shots before he got it dialed in and a hit, But I dont doubt that it is doable.
I understand Never say Never... I will, however, remain extremely skeptical. From the top video he is not shooting at a bucket but, what appears to me, as a large plate of steel at a reported 782 yds. At 700+ yds a human simply could not adequately discern a bucket-sized item visually unaided, let alone hold still, physiologically, to remain on target. And that was what I was addressing. Additionally, the thesis of the top video is misleading, he is trying replicate the "Quigley" shot but without the hinderance of the bucket. Given the same size steel plate I have no doubt I could hit it at least once offhand if given enough opportunities. I stand by my statement. On the lower video, that guy is a damn fine shot...:laughing:

You really haven't tried much have you?

Im 72 and can do 100 easily with my ML loaded w/RB, it and 200yd are common distances in 'vous shooting walks. I do 200 with my Sharps when doing silhouette because the 1st targets (chickens) requires offhand. In fact a fair number of old school competitions are at long ranges both offhand and either sitting or prone in the dirt using cross sticks (not a bipod attached to barrel).

Brits and open sights at 1000 yds.

Creedmore 2009 long range and both BPCR and ML

B Powder Schuetzen matches (200 yd off hand) those rifles run in the 10 lb range...

So what do I use? One at the left is my competition piece. 36" #2 barrel either 70 or 90 gr 2f. Right is for hunting...

1708978899955.jpeg

Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 using a 535 gr Postell and 70 gr 1.5f. Sling is for hunting as ya cant use it in competitions.
1708979051814.jpeg

And I'm not that good...in comparison to some folks shooting what I compete in.

I understand Never say Never... I will, however, remain extremely skeptical. From the top video he is not shooting at a bucket but, what appears to me, as a large plate of steel at a reported 782 yds. At 700+ yds a human simply could not adequately discern a bucket-sized item visually unaided, let alone hold still, physiologically, to remain on target. And that was what I was addressing. Additionally, the thesis of the top video is misleading, he is trying replicate the "Quigley" shot but without the hinderance of the bucket. Given the same size steel plate I have no doubt I could hit it at least once offhand if given enough opportunities. I stand by my statement. On the lower video, that guy is a damn fine shot...:laughing:

All depends on the background and what the colors are. Been a while since I watched the movie but seems like they set the bucket down on the top of a hump in the road. Woulda been skylined more or less.

We had a spot we used to shoot. Was the edge of an old granite pit. They dumped all the oversize and waste over the edge into the canyon. We were shooting into that at about 800yrds. If you knew where they were at, you could see 1lb propane bottles. Shot a bunch of them with scoped rifles. And had a ball trying to hit them with a open sighted cz527 223. It never happened, but we had a good time, an got alot closer than a guy might think

You really haven't tried much have you?

Im 72 and can do 100 easily with my ML loaded w/RB, it and 200yd are common distances in 'vous shooting walks. I do 200 with my Sharps when doing silhouette because the 1st targets (chickens) requires offhand. In fact a fair number of old school competitions are at long ranges both offhand and either sitting or prone in the dirt using cross sticks (not a bipod attached to barrel).

Brits and open sights at 1000 yds.

Creedmore 2009 long range and both BPCR and ML

B Powder Schuetzen matches (200 yd off hand) those rifles run in the 10 lb range...

So what do I use? One at the left is my competition piece. 36" #2 barrel either 70 or 90 gr 2f. Right is for hunting...

Shiloh Sharps in .45-70 using a 535 gr Postell and 70 gr 1.5f. Sling is for hunting as ya cant use it in competitions.

And I'm not that good...in comparison to some folks shooting what I compete in.
I didn't say you couldn't hit a target at 100 - 200 yds offhand with a rifle consistently, I said I couldn't (given a small target). :beer:

The last one I tried was the iron sights at 200 on a paper plate. The only rifle I had at the time with irons was an AK47, it was a waste of ammo. :laughing:
Needs more drum mag :homer:

We have a gong at 200 yds at the clubs rimfire range...after playing a bit and learning hold overs, I can pretty consistantly get it will all my iron sight 22s.
I have had a guy with a scoped 10/22 pack up and leave after I started plunking away at the 200 and he was having trouble with the 75 yd gongs...:lmao:

Needs more drum mag :homer:

We have a gong at 200 yds at the clubs rimfire range...after playing a bit and learning hold overs, I can pretty consistantly get it will all my iron sight 22s.
I have had a guy with a scoped 10/22 pack up and leave after I started plunking away at the 200 and he was having trouble with the 75 yd gongs...:lmao:

A 22/45 off of sandbags @ 200yrds will flat out offend some people:laughing:

Top Back Refresh