What's new

Full Hydro 50° steering 05+ SD 60

Spotty Wheeler

Member Number
Building out a 05+ SD 60 for my YJ project and I've ran into a snag. I'm going to be running full hydro, 43's on the Motobilt SD truss and TMR Weld on High Steer arms. Talking to PSC on the phone, they recommend a 2.75" Diameter ram for 43's, however they don't make one in a 10" stroke, only a 2.75x8". They make a 3x10" and a 2.5x11 or 9" set up that I could have limited. However, I'm not sure that 2.5" diameter ram will hold up to 43's and trying to fit the 3" Ram in the Motobilt Truss with skid kit might be tricky. What kit is everyone running in combination with 1550 U-joints to achieve that 50° of steering on your Super Duty Axles?

photo45463.jpg

shorter steering arms or does that not clear things? limited 2.5x11 would be easy enough. what is the shaft diameter difference between the 2.75 and the 2.5 cylinders?

I think if you go around 5.75 inches from cl of upper ball joint and cl of heim/ tie rod joint is where you need to be for an 8" stroke ram to get full lock, but I'm not sure if that will go all the way to 50°or not. I'm sure by modifying where your tie rod joint attached you can make any of those stroke rams work.

Eta; I'm also not sure if your weld on arms can change the tie rod mount location...:homer:

On my super 60, 5.5" from axis of ball joint to drag link pivot point turned 45* with a 8" cylinder. The hard stops had not much more than an air gap. The angle also depends on where you measure from due to caster and Ackermann.
The TMR and Artec have long arms so you will need a 10" to get close. JHF arms are shorter and needs a 10" to hit 50*
The more angle you add the more cylinder force you need.
High wheel offset can also require more force to throw them around.
The pump pressure and flow can set the cylinder size as well. Too large of a cylinder will slow it down and not be responsive enough.

Theoretically:
45*= 8" on 5.657"
45*= 9" on 6.364"
45*= 10 on 7.071"

50*= 8" on 5.222"
50*= 9" on 5.874"
50*= 10" on 6.527"

While we are talking 50*, what axle shafts are you running to get that much? Clearanced 1550 stock shafts, Branik shafts? I know that RCVs cant get that much.

I have a 2.5x8.75" ram on my buggy with 43s.
I wish I went bigger when I'm super bound up in the big rocks. At that time you can feel that you're forcing to turn the wheels.
But that's a fairly rare occurrence since I don't rock crawl much (I'm more a point and shoot/bouncing guys). Rest of the time it's super fine.

I am glad I don't have too big of a ram, since the pump volume that would be required to keep up with a fast steering at speed would be a problem.

Bottom line, I'd do it again, and for your particular setup, I'd get the 10" ram and limit it to your liking.

I have a 2.5x8.75" ram on my buggy with 43s.
I wish I went bigger when I'm super bound up in the big rocks. At that time you can feel that you're forcing to turn the wheels.
But that's a fairly rare occurrence since I don't rock crawl much (I'm more a point and shoot/bouncing guys). Rest of the time it's super fine.

I am glad I don't have too big of a ram, since the pump volume that would be required to keep up with a fast steering at speed would be a problem.

Bottom line, I'd do it again, and for your particular setup, I'd get the 10" ram and limit it to your liking.

any idea what pump pressure you are running at? that might be a "free" way to increase some force when you are bound up

any idea what pump pressure you are running at? that might be a "free" way to increase some force when you are bound up

The thought crossed my mind.

I am running a basic PSC P-Pump so I think the relief is set around 1400psi (maybe more ?).
I'm looking into a Radial dynamics CBX (I know they can be set at 1800PSI, maybe more ?) but right now I'm planning for a rear steer upgrade too so I'll do everything at the same time.

I really don't encounter the bound up situation too often since I don't really do any heavy rockcrawling. I think I had the buggy to a point I couldn't steer maybe 2 or 3 times in 1 year. And every time it got solved by backing up and finding another line.
I'm not a Sand Hollow canyon killer or any of that. Having a big displacement pump that can deal with a 200/230cc orbital valve and turn the wheels fast is more important to me.

If it is actually 1400 PSI, you can definitely pick up some extra force going with a higher pressure. I stock pumps up to 1800 PSI on the CB-X but I also have options to move to a higher pressure adjustable external relief valve which I have done for a few setups. Any time you want to look at making the change to rear steer and pump upgrade, I'd be happy to help out.

Top Back Refresh