What's new

FTC bans non compete agreements

Nobody offers a non compete for a shitty job with shitty pay. But if you want a nice job and nice pay, yeah you better fucking sign it, or fuck off and keep looking.

Small amount of time and energy is bullshit. If I teach you how to make the best pie in the world, thats my knowledge and I dont want some piece of shit to go make it at some other comoany just because they offer a dollar more.

Sounds like people for non competes are business owners, and those against it are worker bees.
Many jobs with shit pay at shit places require non competes

Sales is a massive one "so you don't take your clients" and it's violated everyday, because it is really unenforceable.

In general, it's a scare tactic used by business owners who think intimidation is vital. If you aren't willing to trust anybody with your pie recipe, grow to you own capacity and close your doors when you get tired.

If you want to be effective, hire good people, work to retain them and teach them to make excellent pie. No need for a noncompete

Just the other day, I was astounded that the Oxygen installer was bitching about his non-compete.

He literally runs a twisted pair cable and a rubber oxygen rated PEX to every room in the house. I could train any of you to do this in about 3 minutes.

He was bitching because he can't get a raise, as they're only paying him $17/hr, but the plumbers are paying apprentices $28/hr to start as a first year pulling PEX. :lmao:

He is scared to leave because his employer made him sign a 5 year no-compete. And they made sure to include that he was pulling cable and PEX therefore electrical or plumbing is competition. :laughing:

It's a total bullshit move. I informed him that it was a bullshit contract and not enforceable unless they were paying him for 5 years (Montana). Offered to hire him to start as a first year electricians apprentice. He refused because he's scared to get sued :homer:.

Company he works for also sells $1500 Oxygen generators for $10000 to rich idiots, and charges about what I do to wire the whole house. I'm there for a few months, he's there for a few days.

They're making boat loads of money of a handful of idiots and threatening the shit out of them while paying them peanuts for a low skill job.
That employee deserves where he's at then :laughing:

hmmm, so a company brings a person in that knows nothing about the industry, teaches them everything about how it works, and that employee promptly leaves to start a competing business and that is fine with you?

Don't want a non-compete, don't take a job that comes with one.

Holy shit you are a liberal fuck
Happens every day.

What's it take for you to ward off another competitor? Does it matter if it is somebody who moved in from out of state or somebody who worked for you and thought they could do it better?

End of the day, no it doesn't matter. You've still got a problem if you get somebody trained and they instantly leave. Most of the time, it means they will not do as well as they thing. The rest of the time, you really are running a fucked up program

fuck you asshole. If I take you in and teach you secrets of my business, the fuck you will go work for someone else sharing my trade.
How this work out for you? I maybe wrong but didn’t you post how slam piece F you over and stole you business?

hmmm, so a company brings a person in that knows nothing about the industry, teaches them everything about how it works, and that employee promptly leaves to start a competing business and that is fine with you?

I just like free markets. Liberal? :lmao:

Lots of talk about leaving with your widget(or wtf ever you and they did together) and selling it to the new employer. And I think I side on the employee side. You shouldnt be blocked from moving on, if your widget or talent or wtf was so valuable that you should block me from using it, then pay me to stay.

But----what about building a client base then leaving and taking them with you? Membership style business, you build 1,000 paying members. the owner balks on the agreement you had to pay you for each member. says theres a cap now. so you have no incentive to build it higher. But if you leave....those clients are now yours and you can build it as high as it will grow. except for that pesky non-compete.

Are you willing to compensate them to not compete with you? Otherwise that's just indentured servitude or authoritarianism.

On the non-compete would you be upset if when presented they wrote on it: xxx company will compensate the signee at or above FMV for the entirety of said agreement not to be less than the undersigneds total compensation package at the termination of employment. This section shall be in effect until xxx company or any future iteration of xxx company releases said employee from the conditions of signed document in there entirety and makes a good faith effort to contact the signee to let them know of the release. The company agrees to pay all legal expenses for the signee and the company related to disputes or arbitration regarding this section up to an amount not to exceed $1 billion US.

Work for the same company for many years. Started as a piss ant and now a director of piss ants. I would say good luck enforcing the original 20 year old agreement.

Lots of talk about leaving with your widget(or wtf ever you and they did together) and selling it to the new employer. And I think I side on the employee side. You shouldnt be blocked from moving on, if your widget or talent or wtf was so valuable that you should block me from using it, then pay me to stay.

But----what about building a client base then leaving and taking them with you? Membership style business, you build 1,000 paying members. the owner balks on the agreement you had to pay you for each member. says theres a cap now. so you have no incentive to build it higher. But if you leave....those clients are now yours and you can build it as high as it will grow. except for that pesky non-compete.
This is why hair dressers rent a chair

The business owner/storefront owner in that client based sales model has recognized how little value a non compete has and has made a structure change to the business design instead.

The non compete in your second example would simply be violated, maybe send a letter, maybe threaten court. Legal process is too slow, too long and too expensive to do anything

That employee deserves where he's at then :laughing:

Yes. He's a complete idiot, but a hard worker. I'd be paying him 3x his current wage in a couple years just for pulling Romex, but he really believes he can't work for anyone else unless he leaves the state. :laughing:

What kind of business is this?

Think I can get 10000 people to pay me $1/month to be in a cool exclusive members only club? :laughing:

How this work out for you? I maybe wrong but didn’t you post how slam piece F you over and stole you business?

I gave it to her. Thought shes a good woman deserving a good thing, convinced her to let me help and gave it to her on a silver platter, then she did a 180 and I apparently am a nauve kind hearted fool.

People that actually work for me, signed NDA/NCAs, she didnt, because the intention was to help her start her own.

I just like free markets. Liberal? :lmao:

Yes free markets, yes you think like a liberal. Dont want to deal with it? Dont sign it and dont work for a company that wants you to sign one. If you do, then be prepared to work in a different sector later. Dont want to? Dont sign it. Dont sign something if youre not willing to oblige by it

This is gigantic and most of you dont see it. You are essentially saying that your signature and an agreement on paper means nothing. If thats the case, theres 100 other contracts Id like to be non enforcable. Customer signed off on a quote but doesnt want to pay at the end of the job? Too fucking bad, quote was iverpriced to begin with and the contract means nothing.

Contracts are the fabric of business. You make them unenforcable, and a lot of things break.

I gave it to her. Thought shes a good woman deserving a good thing, convinced her to let me help and gave it to her on a silver platter, then she did a 180 and I apparently am a nauve kind hearted fool.

People that actually work for me, signed NDA/NCAs, she didnt, because the intention was to help her start her own.

Yes free markets, yes you think like a liberal. Dont want to deal with it? Dont sign it and dont work for a company that wants you to sign one. If you do, then be prepared to work in a different sector later. Dont want to? Dont sign it. Dont sign something if youre not willing to oblige by it

This is gigantic and most of you dont see it. You are essentially saying that your signature and an agreement on paper means nothing. If thats the case, theres 100 other contracts Id like to be non enforcable. Customer signed off on a quote but doesnt want to pay at the end of the job? Too fucking bad, quote was iverpriced to begin with and the contract means nothing.

Contracts are the fabric of business. You make them unenforcable, and a lot of things break.

Virtually all contracts are unenforceable if you have more money than the other side to throw at lawyers to fight it.

That's why contract law amd support is important to free markets.

The contracts are junk because the system is junk because thing like the FTC and the judicial system are junk

If east beast doesn't want an NC or NDA, he won't take that job. If you want east beast, you will get somebody else if you won't drop the NC. No big deal

Working for auto dealerships and auto groups, I have been asked to sign a NCA twice. I have refused each time and still got both jobs. It's usually a scare tactic unless you work with some industry secrets or something. But yeah, fuck NCAs. You want me to keep my knowledge with your company? Pay me for it.

Ah yes, the old free market where the government tells people they aren't able to contractual agreements regarding employment.
It's not a contractual agreement about employment. It's a contractual agreement about what that person can do after their employment ends. It'd be like a landlord making a tenant sign a contract that they can't lease any other property in this zip code in order to sign this lease. Sounds fucked up, right? That's because it is. It's the same principle.

lol. So if you hire me, and I sign your nda/nca, and your business hits a slow period and you have to lay me off, you’re saying you’d take me to court if I got a different job in the same market?

It's not a contractual agreement about employment. It's a contractual agreement about what that person can do after their employment ends. It'd be like a landlord making a tenant sign a contract that they can't lease any other property in this zip code in order to sign this lease. Sounds fucked up, right? That's because it is. It's the same principle.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel good rooting for the government's involvement in private business.

Whatever you have to tell yourself to make you feel good rooting for the government's involvement in private business.

Well hell, let's just go ahead and bring back slavery then. Why are we actually PAYING these employees? That shit's bad for the bottom line. :laughing:

You want me to keep my knowledge with your company? Pay me for it.

What if its about keeping MY knowledge in MY company? If you dont think I should have a right to that, then its liberal commie mentality.

If I am going to teach you something, it is to be used at MY company only. You want to leave, fine, but you leave the knowledge with me when you walk out that door.

What if its about keeping MY knowledge in MY company? If you dont think I should have a right to that, then its liberal commie mentality.

If I am going to teach you something, it is to be used at MY company only. You want to leave, fine, but you leave the knowledge with me when you walk out that door.
Then you better pay me enough to keep that knowledge at your company. What's in my head is mine.

Top Back Refresh