What's new

Front Axle Shafts

I could believe it even if it was "paved". I blew up my IFS front end on a basket ball size rock 100ft after crawling through a garden of toyota truck size boulders. Shit fails at odd times!

Not an rcv but weak looking axle breakage story.

How often do you guys grease these things and how may pumps do you give it?

I haven't greased mine in 4 years. That was the last time I had my whole front axle tore apart. When I bought my G2 chromolys, nobody had come out with the grease zerks yet. I really wish I had them too

Sucks man.

If you dont have them, I recomend the trail gear wiper seals when you tear down the front end, they are nice!

I have the whole knuckle rebuild kit sitting on my shelf now. I go back and forth on tearing it apart enough to slap a new axle seal and repack the birf but I know I should just do it all proper. Interestingly it's only leaking gear oil out of the knuckle when it's parked on an angle.

This seems like handy knowledge for a trail repair:

I have the whole knuckle rebuild kit sitting on my shelf now. I go back and forth on tearing it apart enough to slap a new axle seal and repack the birf but I know I should just do it all proper. Interestingly it's only leaking gear oil out of the knuckle when it's parked on an angle.

This seems like handy knowledge for a trail repair:

Mine drips oil out of both knuckles. My housing is pretty shot and needs replacing haha. I have been using that method for removing axles and birfs for years :smokin: Its so much faster once you get it down. Especially if you have trunnion bearing eliminators:flipoff2:

Mine drips oil out of both knuckles. My housing is pretty shot and needs replacing haha. I have been using that method for removing axles and birfs for years :smokin: Its so much faster once you get it down. Especially if you have trunnion bearing eliminators:flipoff2:

​​​​​​Thanks a lot! I'm topping off fluids before a run this weekend and now the other side is leaking too :laughing:

​​​​

​​​​

I hate pulling birfs that way.

The real cool guy way is to run slip on rotors and then pull the spindle bolts so the hub and everything comes off like a unit bearing.

I hate pulling birfs that way.

The real cool guy way is to run slip on rotors and then pull the spindle bolts so the hub and everything comes off like a unit bearing.

Yea but Camo came up with that other method, using PBB logic, camo = godlike cool!!:flipoff2:

Really? Man I remember back in the camo 60 days, the nutswinging on him was fierce "there"!

Yup, a split window Hitler Era Beetle dork, fully blown homogheyness. That and sails boats from point A to B for clients all over. I think the wife rubber banded that sack swinging shit. He's full on domesticated now. :grinpimp: He may still do KOH setup and some Baja shit here and there. I followed him on the FB when I was still on there.

Update, for those that care.

TG said they warranty OG Longs, as long as you're the original buyer and have proof of purchase.

I guess I'll run the TG Long until it breaks and upgrade to RCVs.

Update, for those that care.

TG said they warranty OG Longs, as long as you're the original buyer and have proof of purchase.

I guess I'll run the TG Long until it breaks and upgrade to RCVs.

Their gun drilled ones still have a lifetime warranty per the site, but not the standard ones. I've got OG Longs in mine but with the new housing will be running longer inners from them. I'm thinking of getting either new TG/Longs or RCV's to run and keep my OG birfs/new inners as spares.

Top Back Refresh