What's new

Four wheel camper caboverlanding

Ahhfawk

Member Number
Loc
Orangevale,CA
Recently got a 96’ four wheel camper grandby for my single cab 2500. Has all the basics I need for now. Upgrades down the line are gunna be larger water tank moved forward and lower for better weight distribution and some kind of hot water heater for outside showers. For now I’m just looking to get out and use this thing and hot springs are on my mind. Any recommendations within about 4 hrs of Sacramento area? Thinking of heading up to mono lake beginning of March in search of a good hotspring campsite. Everyone has stories of spots in Nevada but trying to get a location out of people is like pulling teeth.
105C2E55-4FFB-494F-984D-247A20B145B9.jpeg

The dog is digging the camper so far

F1DB818B-CE32-4DCE-BDA2-094E474639D6.jpeg

Stopped in Barstow at pizza hut on the way back from hammers. Ranger ain’t mine. Somehow got talked into towing this jalopy back to to sac for a buddy.

Is this your first camper?

I had a standard ~8' camper and want to try a pop up. Hopefully better mileage and a little better offroad are what I'm after. I'm curious to hear what you think.

I dig the pop up. I certainly love our Palomino 2902 but it is HUGE. Its over 12' tall when on the truck. Have told the wife that when we get a motorhome one day, I want to trade our 2902 in for a pop up for the truck.

Is this your first camper?

I had a standard ~8' camper and want to try a pop up. Hopefully better mileage and a little better offroad are what I'm after. I'm curious to hear what you think.
Yeah first camper. Didn’t want a big hard side camper with the coil springs that come on the 2500s then throw some kind of rock crawler on a trailer and hope it was stable. The tag on the camper says it’s only 750 lbs I don’t know how much I believe that. The drive to and from hammers was plush. Wind didn’t give me an issue and got about 14-15 mpgs round trip towing. Going to more remote places to camp is a big selling point with the pop up.

I'm no help for your original post, but neither has any other replay so :flipoff2:

I've got a granby sitting in the shop for when/if I ever get my truck put back together. I agree, I wanted a pop-up for the ability to get into more places offroad. Not that I'm going to be wheeling my tow rig, but I could see myself sticking a branch though the front of a regular pickup camper. Plus the weight difference is huge. Some of those big fancy campers are 5500lbs or more. I think how mine is optioned out is supposed to be 1600lbs (or maybe it was 1200, I'd have to look now) That's with the biggest fridge they offer, sink and stove, no toilet. Plenty light to still be able to pull the trailer with the jeep or whatever on it. And it doesn't overhang the rear, so no scary extended hitch setup.

I went with FWC because they seemed to hold up the best out of the popup campers. Most you saw on the used market were in really good shape, even the ones that were 20 or more years old.

They offer an outdoor shower in the newer ones, would you be able to retrofit the heater and shower parts into yours? Might be cheaper to do it with stuff you source yourself though.

They offer an outdoor shower in the newer ones, would you be able to retrofit the heater and shower parts into yours? Might be cheaper to do it with stuff you source yourself though.
I know there’s some propane tankless water heaters out there I could tie into the system. That’s probably the route I’d go. Until then bird baths in the sink are gunna have to do 😂

A standard cab and a pop up camper, I dream of being a minimalist and bringing nothing as well, you have no storage!, LOL.
I would add some water and gray tanks, but mount them outside the frame rails on the RAM to use up some of that dead space.
That's what I did on my cabover and just used a garden hose quick connect to hook up the camper water to the truck.

A standard cab and a pop up camper, I dream of being a minimalist and bringing nothing as well, you have no storage!, LOL.
I would add some water and gray tanks, but mount them outside the frame rails on the RAM to use up some of that dead space.
That's what I did on my cabover and just used a garden hose quick connect to hook up the camper water to the truck.
That's a great idea about mounting tanks under the truck bed. We had a couple different old slide in pop ups years ago, I loved how they didn't affect the truck much since they're so light and low-profile, but hated the lack of storage space. These days I'm dragging around a 35' 5th wheel toy hauler.

Storage can be tricky but for me and the dog it’s more than enough. If a old lady and kids come along thats a different story 😂 for now the grey water just drains out of the camper into a bucked or just on the ground. If I could get a 30 gallon water tank instead of the 15 factory one I think I’d have more than enough water for a weekend trips.

I hated the lack of storage when I had my cab over. Sure you have the little cubby door to try and stash stuff in front of the wheel well, but it still sucks. With a trailer, I'd throw a toolbox on the front, but bobtailing was a pain. Had a receiver mounted box for a bit.

I love the low pro utility beds with cab overs. Or something like Richard posted :smokin:

I hated the lack of storage when I had my cab over. Sure you have the little cubby door to try and stash stuff in front of the wheel well, but it still sucks. With a trailer, I'd throw a toolbox on the front, but bobtailing was a pain. Had a receiver mounted box for a bit.

I love the low pro utility beds with cab overs. Or something like Richard posted :smokin:
I think a slide-in camper and a 20' enclosed trailer will be ideal on my wheeling trips. Camping stuff go in the camper (duh) and everything else go in the enclosed trailer (Jeep, spare parts and tools, etc.). I am not crazy about pop-ups and will prefer the hardsided ones. I think it's a moot point on pop-up vs non pop-up for MPG when towing an enclosed trailer, especially the taller ones.

Utility bed with the slide in camper will be the bomb, no storage issue if towing jeep on an open trailer or bobtailing... but dually (or SRW 19.5 wheels :barf:) will be mandatory at that point. Utility beds look way better with duallys anyhow.

I think a slide-in camper and a 20' enclosed trailer will be ideal on my wheeling trips. Camping stuff go in the camper (duh) and everything else go in the enclosed trailer (Jeep, spare parts and tools, etc.). I am not crazy about pop-ups and will prefer the hardsided ones. I think it's a moot point on pop-up vs non pop-up for MPG when towing an enclosed trailer, especially the taller ones.

Utility bed with the slide in camper will be the bomb, no storage issue if towing jeep on an open trailer or bobtailing... but dually (or SRW 19.5 wheels :barf:) will be mandatory at that point. Utility beds look way better with duallys anyhow.

Depends on the use. You guys mostly tow into private parks with parking lots? I'd like to be able to go a little more "offroad" than I could with my hard sided pop up. Enclosed would be sweet like you say, but to fragile for anything but groomed gravel.

I don't see a pop up and utility bed weighing much more than a hard side and regular bed. But, it just depends on how much wieght you pack into them I guess. The drw beds are much more useful for sure.

Down by Mono Lake, the Wild Willy’s Hot Springs are awesome. I haven’t camped onsite, but there’s rustic camping within 15 minutes of there…as well as campgrounds in Mammoth.

Depends on the use. You guys mostly tow into private parks with parking lots? I'd like to be able to go a little more "offroad" than I could with my hard sided pop up. Enclosed would be sweet like you say, but to fragile for anything but groomed gravel.

I don't see a pop up and utility bed weighing much more than a hard side and regular bed. But, it just depends on how much wieght you pack into them I guess. The drw beds are much more useful for sure.
I will avoid off roading the slide-in camper if it's more than a dirt road, access road whatever, and not plowing through trees. At most, only 'off road' if there's a mountain top to camp on. Otherwise I stop in the parklot and go off road with my jeep. I don't want my shit inside the camper thrown all over, and the uneeded wear and tear on the tow rig.

My truck's rear axle weight get close to 6,000lbs on some of my trips (camping gear, tools, toys, whatever, in the bed and a jeep on trailer). FWIW.

few years ago i picked a Palomino pop top for pretty much same reasons you did and love it. Its little more plush but very cheaply made compared to the FWC, got the 7foot long one so fits my short box and no hitch extension needed. Has a propane fridge, stove, furnace and hot water on demand, i normally get the summer out of a 20lb tank. 16g fresh water tank and no grey tank. longest trip i did was 7 days and was just myself and the dog, brought extra water but never used it and still had some in the 16g tank.

ZiU_x9br2dSnqeEaXygiGfPd0WtQH3kJolGIu9qHRNXA=w2400.jpg

I will avoid off roading the slide-in camper if it's more than a dirt road, access road whatever, and not plowing through trees. At most, only 'off road' if there's a mountain top to camp on. Otherwise I stop in the parklot and go off road with my jeep. I don't want my shit inside the camper thrown all over, and the uneeded wear and tear on the tow rig.

My truck's rear axle weight get close to 6,000lbs on some of my trips (camping gear, tools, toys, whatever, in the bed and a jeep on trailer). FWIW.

Getting to good camping spots is the goal. I've had my hard sided camper on some rough roads and it wasn't great. :laughing: the low cog of the pop up, would be way better I'd think.

My rear axle wieght was near 8k lbs iirc with the camper loaded and 4runner on the trailer. Another reason, why I'd like to cut wieght.

Down by Mono Lake, the Wild Willy’s Hot Springs are awesome. I haven’t camped onsite, but there’s rustic camping within 15 minutes of there…as well as campgrounds in Mammoth.
Finally something hot spring related! I’ve been looking at places around mono lake. Travertine Shepherd and little hot creek. What I can find on them they’re all pretty dope spots. Planning for begging of March but we’ll see what happens with the weather between now and then. If it starts dumping snow I’ll just head to the coast and spend a few nights at usal beach. Really starting to feel like a hippy searching for hot springs and lost coast beaches… next thing you know I’ll be in Joshua tree fumbling around on peyote wondering how the f*ck I got there

Finally something hot spring related! I’ve been looking at places around mono lake. Travertine Shepherd and little hot creek. What I can find on them they’re all pretty dope spots. Planning for begging of March but we’ll see what happens with the weather between now and then. If it starts dumping snow I’ll just head to the coast and spend a few nights at usal beach. Really starting to feel like a hippy searching for hot springs and lost coast beaches… next thing you know I’ll be in Joshua tree fumbling around on peyote wondering how the f*ck I got there
Travertine, shepherd, hilltop, buckeye, they are all nice, but just the tip of the iceberg of hot springs in that area. Some nice ones in NV too. Just don't be a dick, don't camp within sight of a tub, no glass, if there are people in it, ask if they mind if you join them, and before going in, in the traditional nude, ask anyone inside if they mind. These are the basic rules of hot springs politeness. You will meet the coolest people sitting naked in hot muddy water.

Nice setup, a FWC or Palomino is my eventual goal too.

4hr from Sac? Hit the Lost Coast. Usal Road to Usal Beach and a few other campsites along the coast.
94AC708D-8913-4862-8F5A-1ECFA2B3F4CC.jpeg

66FD283A-6A1F-4AAA-935E-09FCC4DBFF8C.jpeg

38529680-AE27-4699-8766-90EB751D2AFD.jpeg

might be more than 4hr but I’d take 89 East and hit 395. There’s so much to explore out that way, pretty much pick a fire road and just go.

5FB64B94-B7A8-44D5-B4FE-9101AC7EAC52.jpeg

ACF3406C-2285-4A20-B111-0F6CEC481939.jpeg

037BB421-8E50-4AFD-8D9D-9A290EE2D01C.jpeg
4E81978D-13CA-4D0A-884D-9F662BB3775B.jpeg
3F5E6419-5F16-4205-9408-09D34881CA00.jpeg

I’ve taken my pig more places than I probably should given its size and weight. I want a pop up. On the storage note, I hung a 6” dia poo pipe under the back of mine with keyed doors on each side. I store chairs, fishing poles, etc in there.

Nice setup, a FWC or Palomino is my eventual goal too.
In a few years I want to get an Alaskan Camper due to it's full size door when the roof is up.

After three spinal surgeries I don't like hunching to get into my FWC anymore.
I want to be able to enter my camper standing upright.

In a few years I want to get an Alaskan Camper due to it's full size door when the roof is up.

After three spinal surgeries I don't like hunching to get into my FWC anymore.
I want to be able to enter my camper standing upright.
How tall is the FWC door? I think when I did the research the ceiling height was just barely enough for my height.

Top Back Refresh