What's new

Fortress clothing?

Regular poly clothing and wool also insulate when wet.

It would be nice to find some gloves that keep my Reynaud’s in check, but I’m not paying $130 for gloves without a thorough test drive :eek:

IMO, if you’re buying serious outdoor gear that you want to work rather than a fashion statement, go with Arcteryx or KUIU. Both companies make stuff for people who go places where they will die if their gear fails, not to look cool on Instagram.

If their claim to fame is that it was on that idiotic show, you know it's probably crap.

IMO, if you’re buying serious outdoor gear that you want to work rather than a fashion statement, go with Arcteryx or KUIU. Both companies make stuff for people who go places where they will die if their gear fails, not to look cool on Instagram.

I haven't met anyone personally who feels that the dollars to longevity value is there on Kuiu. Only heard it from hipatergram personalities who get a discount on it.

Thought about this again, it's probably a lot cheaper in the states. They fuck us really hard on shipping to Canada.

I have Arcteryx on IG and they push the fashion, LBGT, Green, Liberal agenda has hard as any clothing company I have seen. There are plenty of good gear companies that don't do that.

I haven't met anyone personally who feels that the dollars to longevity value is there on Kuiu. Only heard it from hipatergram personalities who get a discount on it.

Thought about this again, it's probably a lot cheaper in the states. They fuck us really hard on shipping to Canada.

I’m a fan of it, been wearing it for 3 1/2 years but it’s primarily hunting clothing. Yes, it’s designed to be lightweight, so you can’t treat everything with reckless abandon. I wouldn’t wear their gloves if my job was cutting and stacking firewood, but their stuff works well for general outdoor activities. I don’t know that I’ve paid full price for much of it, typically wait for a sale or outlet.

I have Arcteryx on IG and they push the fashion, LBGT, Green, Liberal agenda has hard as any clothing company I have seen. There are plenty of good gear companies that don't do that.

Interesting. I don’t follow any of that stuff online, but everyone I know that’s got their gear swears by it. My point was stuff like the North Face and Patagonia that used to be solid outdoor gear are now junk in most cases. Cheap ass duck down or synthetic fills, no wind stopper material in their jackets, etc.

I’m a fan of it, been wearing it for 3 1/2 years but it’s primarily hunting clothing. Yes, it’s designed to be lightweight, so you can’t treat everything with reckless abandon. I wouldn’t wear their gloves if my job was cutting and stacking firewood, but their stuff works well for general outdoor activities. I don’t know that I’ve paid full price for much of it, typically wait for a sale or outlet.

Gear that won't take abuse doesn't pass muster for me or my hunting partner. Different applications, as with everything. To get pants and a jacket here is pushing $1500, so if I have to worry about it surviving, I'll pass.

Gear that won't take abuse doesn't pass muster for me or my hunting partner. Different applications, as with everything. To get pants and a jacket here is pushing $1500, so if I have to worry about it surviving, I'll pass.

Yea, I think I paid about $80 for a pair of pants and $150 for a jacket, so like $500 Canadian :flipoff2:.

We are typically backpack hunting for a week carrying everything but water, so a 3 lb jacket ain’t coming with.

Yea, I think I paid about $80 for a pair of pants and $150 for a jacket, so like $500 Canadian :flipoff2:.

We are typically backpack hunting for a week carrying everything but water, so a 3 lb jacket ain’t coming with.

Yeah we do at least one trip like that every year...Except we do it in the rain, so the outer layer is straight up rubber, like so:laughing:

photo42295.jpg

Interesting. I don’t follow any of that stuff online, but everyone I know that’s got their gear swears by it. My point was stuff like the North Face and Patagonia that used to be solid outdoor gear are now junk in most cases. Cheap ass duck down or synthetic fills, no wind stopper material in their jackets, etc.

I have a few pieces of thier kit but was getting them through the LEAF program which they have now discontinued. I also stick with made in US or Canada and most of their line is overseas now. I can't say I've had any issues with my stuff and it works. Just quite a few other vendors that line up better for me, similar prices point, and quality is the same.

Follow up: Got the storm coat /bib combo and had them out this weekend on a camping/wheeling trip. It works! Windproof, waterproof, and warm to the point you didn't need a fire. Wore them over some rocky polys with a pair of mickey mouse boots. Temps were in the low teens with single-digit windchill.

I’ve never seen these fortress clothes but I wear Columbia Titanium base layer and it works for me. If it gets super cold I wear my batman pajamas.

Anyone have experience or own any fortressclothing.com? Snakeoil? TIA
I've gotten a few pieces come into my shop for repair. The pieces I got seemed a bit weak, but that also might be the point. No bulk = lighter weight material. I ended up lining the base wear with a micro fleece to keep warmth in better. They were being used in upstate NY for hunting mid-winter and my client liked them just fine, but needed to layer more as they seemed too light weight. They did say that it didn't soak up the snow as much when used as a layer. I imagine these would be great for some less active uses in less harsh climate.

I don't remember seeing any camo/hunting apparel on fortressclothing.com.

Are you referring to this line?
What I got in were a pair of bibs, a vest and a storm jacket. They were using these as layers under their regular camo gear. They were hoping to not have to use anything else except these things as a layer under their gear, but (according to them), they still needed a bit more. The jacket was already lightly lined, but just needed repair along some seams. The vest needed lined better and the bibs needed straps fixed as they didn't hold. Again, I can't say HOW they were using them, except that they stated it was for week long camping/hunting during winter months. I do know this couple is very active outdoors (based on what they bring me). I thought the quality was fine for regular use like hiking or fishing or camping in less extreme weather as it seemed to be a material that would hold body heat well. For these people, it wasn't enough. That's my only experience with the product

Top Back Refresh