What's new

Formula 1 2021

So other than the specific zones and the >1second split, and start/restart 2 lap thing, is there a limit on how much you can use DRS? It looked like Verstappen didn't use it in a couple situations, including the one where Hamilton passed him.

The DRS is only active on a car following another car by 1sec or less. It is that way to encourage passing. The lead cars DRS will not activate.

So, Verstappan was 1 second behind Bottas and Hamilton was 1 second behind Verstappan , and Verstappan wing did not open up like Hamilton’s wing did? My understanding is both Verstappan and Hamilton’s wing should open.

So, Verstappan was 1 second behind Bottas and Hamilton was 1 second behind Verstappan , and Verstappan wing did not open up like Hamilton’s wing did? My understanding is both Verstappan and Hamilton’s wing should open.
Me too. I'm sure the teabags in the booth would have been losing their shit if it had been a mistake on Max's part. I already deleted the recording and it doesn't mean that much to me anyway.

Me too. I'm sure the teabags in the booth would have been losing their shit if it had been a mistake on Max's part. I already deleted the recording and it doesn't mean that much to me anyway.
For some reason I do not think Max or his team have control, I think race control is responsible for the wing operation? Or I could be having bad luck at thinking? 🤷‍♀️

Was he inside the 1 sec at the detection point? I know he was struggling to keep up with the merc in the 3rd sector.
Ez6O-R4X0AU85KC.jpeg

What lap?

DRS is active after lap 2 depending on conditions. Then it is a couple laps after a safety car.

Drivers get an audible ding in their ear piece to say they are within the 1 second. Something seemed funky to me in this race because there were other times I saw the gap from VER to BOT where he was more than a second on the tracker but his wing opened.

What lap?

DRS is active after lap 2 depending on conditions. Then it is a couple laps after a safety car.

Drivers get an audible ding in their ear piece to say they are within the 1 second. Something seemed funky to me in this race because there were other times I saw the gap from VER to BOT where he was more than a second on the tracker but his wing opened.
I would think that the tracker would be getting real time data from the race organizers, but maybe the broadcasters have their own system and it's a bit laggy. Does that ding come from the team or from FIA?

I would think that the tracker would be getting real time data from the race organizers, but maybe the broadcasters have their own system and it's a bit laggy. Does that ding come from the team or from FIA?

The FIA dictates the timing gap. It is real time data from the race director/Michael Masi people. Same way for the VSC or blue flag setup. What you see for timing on TV is the world feed from the FIA.

I've always wondered how accurate the broadcast data is because I really only care about watching the gap between drivers. We don't get real time comms. Those are delayed. So the gap/timing could be a little bit off as well. I know for a fact the timing to broadcast was off at this race. I think that has to do with them not going to that race track all the time.

I have heard comms from the team to the driver before if they missed the DRS detection and didn't open it at the line. They want it opened immediately. I've heard drivers say they aren't hearing the beep so they didn't know if they had DRS. So I don't think it is a perfect system. I would imagine the drivers have their finger on the DRS button well before the DRS activation line every single lap whether they are within 1 sec or not. If they get DRS then it is open for the whole zone until they hit the brakes.

Speaking of... I really don't like that the leader can use a back marker/lapped driver for DRS.

From what I can tell the gaps we see on the TV coverage are updated at the end of each sector, so 3x a lap. The talking heads mentioned something about the times that show on the drivers wheel update every 10 metres. However it works exactly, the FIA/Teams are seeing far higher resolution than what we see.

Speaking of... I really don't like that the leader can use a back marker/lapped driver for DRS.
I imagine they allow that so the lead driver doesn't get hung up too long with backmarkers, but if they're leading then they should be able to pass them without DRS. The rule makes more sense at some tracks than others.

I imagine they allow that so the lead driver doesn't get hung up too long with backmarkers, but if they're leading then they should be able to pass them without DRS. The rule makes more sense at some tracks than others.

I get it. I just hate seeing 2nd place get to the DRS zone with the option to pass only to have the leader come up to a back marker.

I think blue flags are stupid too. :laughing:

Think of the alliances that would be made. Mazespin would hold up everybody.

I get it. I just hate seeing 2nd place get to the DRS zone with the option to pass only to have the leader come up to a back marker.

I think blue flags are stupid too. :laughing:

Think of the alliances that would be made. Mazespin would hold up everybody.
:lmao:

Casey Folks used to tell his racers that when they get caught, let the guy by...he's already proved he's faster than you. Not that Robby Gordon or BJ Baldwin ever listened to that.

But just think how much fun it would be to not give them DRS and make them earn it. Talk about bunching up the pack and making it tight again. Why not. This year is trash and throw away anyway. Why not do something crazy and see what happens. Hell, I would be all for a DRS system that you had X number of uses. Like the battery turbo button but without end. Say you get 3 per lap. 2 regular DRS zones and one freebie. You decide to save them and on the last 5 laps you get to leave DRS open. Would be another way to get the fastest lap point also.

Is the oil button exclusive to the ferrari and any ferrari powered cars? :lmao::flipoff2:

Is the oil button exclusive to the ferrari and any ferrari powered cars? :lmao::flipoff2:

That was new for me. :lmao:

I've been trying to think about reasons for it. Maybe it's for additional cooling when needed? So they keep the extra oil stored down low or something?

That was new for me. :lmao:

I've been trying to think about reasons for it. Maybe it's for additional cooling when needed? So they keep the extra oil stored down low or something?
Yeah no. I'm thinking that they are burning it and it's getting low. I wonder if it's just a switch that activates a pump. You get a low oil light, or the engineer sees it on the telemetry and he radio's the driver, give it 3 1 second presses? Bam back to not low. Interesting that they even have it honestly.

Yeah no. I'm thinking that they are burning it and it's getting low. I wonder if it's just a switch that activates a pump. You get a low oil light, or the engineer sees it on the telemetry and he radio's the driver, give it 3 1 second presses? Bam back to not low. Interesting that they even have it honestly.

With all the oil burning BS Ferrari have gone through I'm surprised they let that go out to the public.

Which... this is nice to see from them. I feel like more people would be interested in F1 if they knew the tech they had. Damn secretive bastids.

dang that rough for Botas, did they strip the nut?

And suprise hammy was still stuck all the way in the back, him whining abut traffic was a bit amusing though.

Top Back Refresh