What's new

Ford Excursion Questions...

FleshEater

Ordinary Average Guy
Member Number
Loc
Pennsylvania
Wife and I have been off and on looking for a new family vacation vehicle. The 2500 series Burbs was what we both wanted, but finding decent examples is few and far between over here (searching and willing to drive 500 miles from my home for one).

So I did some searching on Excursions and found that there were decent recommendations from 2000-2005. Can anyone confirm? Or is there a better set of years to look at?

Don’t want a 7.3l. Yeah, I know they’re reliable. It’s all my dad drove for over a decade and he logged well over 2 million miles on 3 or 4 of those trucks. But for what we’re doing a gasser is just fine.

I know nothing of the V10’s and spent all of my time researching the GMT800’s and own two GMT900’s. Chevys are pretty simple to work on for the most part, but I’ve read and heard some great stories about the V10’s.

Wife is also against looking at crew cab 3/4 ton trucks for a vacation vehicle (would ride okay loaded and towing, I think). But, at least I could use either of these to handle heavier tow duties than my 1/2 ton.

I have an 05. If you plan on towing with it, swap in F250 springs.

It's a Super Duty chassis so there's not much in the way of surprises, the locking hubs suck but the Warns aren't that much money. The v10's had some plug shooting issues like 2v's of that era did, but they're easy enough to fix. The later they are the better they are about that. V10 exhaust manifolds suck and they're $$$, it's actually cheaper to put headers on one than replace manifolds. The years you mentioned are the only years, production started in 99 and ended in '05 and aside from the 7.3 to 6.0 switch they really didn't change significantly in that time.

I've driven and worked on every combination, the only ones I wouldn't own are the 5.4 and the 6.0. The 5.4 isn't enough engine for a rig that heavy IMO and the 6.0 is well, a 6.0.

I don’t know how far you are from westmoreland county but I have one sitting at my shop awaiting new rockers so I can sell it. You are welcome to check it out and drive it. I suggest you get one from out west or down south so it is not rusty. The one at my shop was a friends truck for close to 10 years and was very reliable for him. It is a V10/4.30 gears which is the way to go, imho. They are solid trucks. They are huge and sprung a little softly.

We have an 02 with the v10. Love that thing. Not fast or get good mpg but we knew that going in. My wife went from a 17 dodge 3500 to this and loves it. Bought it with 96k 2 years ago and it's about 142k right now. We have a 2020 Ford crew cab 350 and would rather take the ex because it's that comfortable.

Now that my kids are grown wish I had a truck but this thing is too reliable to get rid of.
Mine's a 7.3 with 345,000+ miles but EVERYTHING on it's passed the test of time, not just the engine.

How loud are those diesels in the cab of the Excursion? In the 2000’s vans they were so loud you had to yell in the cab. But, those had the motor almost sitting in the cab.

How loud are those diesels in the cab of the Excursion? In the 2000’s vans they were so loud you had to yell in the cab. But, those had the motor almost sitting in the cab.

And no fire wall to deter noise.

Any modern pick will ride just fine loaded or empty.

My buddy has a v10 excursion with big tires and 4.30 axles. Its gutless as fuck and has to be whipped hard to tow even a med/small trailer. Not impressed at all and im pretty sure it gets worse mpg than my 88 454 crewcab chev .

I would buy one with a 7.3 if they werent 3-5x the price and im sure as shit not dealing with gasser ford motor plugs or 6.0 problems.

But otherwise rock on . Im 6'2" 275 and fit in the back seat just fin . You could even bench seat the front if you were so inclined

I have a 2000 v10, 4.30, with 285/75/16. I have the v/b code spring swap. I am also running timbrens in the rear and added a rear sway bar. Overall I like it, I dont have a ton of money in it $10k? and it does all i want it to. It pulls 10k decent enough and i have had no reliability issues

With the windows up not much noise at all, stock turbo & exhaust
But I turn it off at every drive thru

Have you never driven a diesel super duty of that era? Exact same thing.

Yeah, in a van like I said. Put many miles on them and they’re loud as fuck.

I have never driven a diesel pickup or SUV.

About half as loud as the van. I've driven all 3, and they're all clattering hpop 7.3's:flipoff2:

I was looking for an 8.1 4wd cclb 3500 for a few years. All I could find when I searched 8.1 was damn 2500 suburbans.

Top Back Refresh