What's new

Ford 260 V8 school me? Sumbeam Tiger

Sweet. If it was me I'd probably keep it fairly stock as stock cars are getting harder and harder to find. Nice car.
It is going to remain mostly stock. What I'm contemplating is a sniper FI like I have on the Bronco and Davis Unified Ignition. It just all works on the bronco and made it so much better to drive. All will be easily reversible.

I think I have almost all the original parts that were changed by the previous owner and it seems pretty minor. Still have about 10 boxes to go through. I may have to buy a shed just to house all the stuff.:laughing:

34287.jpeg

Looks awesome! Have a hell of a lot of fun in that thing.

Well, we got it in the garage. In short, I have way to much shit for a two car garage. It was a chore to get a ~13 foot long by 5 foot wide car in there. I can't believe all the spare parts. He saved the original radiator core when he upgraded:eek: behind the Cobra valve covers in one of the pictures.

I may have mentioned, it came with a spare engine. Bellhousing, gaskets, intakes, yes 2. Etc. Motor is in pieces and has some surface rust but is supposed to be a hi-po 289, balanced. I have all the specs he documented in all the literature we recieved with the car.

I am going to sell it cheap if anyone is interested. (The one on the stand is a 302 for the bronco for when it decides to do bad stuff since the bottom end is knocking.)

20221128_160610.jpg
20221128_160603.jpg
20221128_160544.jpg
20221128_160535.jpg
20221128_160525.jpg

Hmm. Not happy about this. :laughing: only pulled one, but stabbed a borescope into the hole and saw so much carbon, oh so much carbon. Will have to figure out how to get the pics from the scope here. Maybe this weekend.
20221128_170627.jpg

It's just extra compression! Modern fuel will clean it right up.

Going to throw some marvel mystery oil in all the cylinders this weekend and let it soak. Maybe start to turn it over by hand sometime next week. Repeat till after Christmas.

Hoping to give it fire while I'm off between Christmas and new years.

It's just extra compression! Modern fuel will clean it right up.
nitrous and revs will clean it up faster. :flipoff2:

Water in a squirt bottle, rev it up and spray it down the carb. Those cylinders will be clean as a whistle.

And now I sound like my grandfather......
The teeny, tinyist vacuum line you can buy shoved into a gallon jug of -20 windshield wash and drive it like normal. Between the methanol and the water everything will be squeaky clean in short order.

Pretty sure any off the shelf full treatment will do the same thing in a tank or two of fuel you fricken :homer:s

:laughing:

Pretty sure any off the shelf full treatment will do the same thing in a tank or two of fuel you fricken :homer:s

:laughing:
You ever seen the inside of an engine that's running water/methanol? Squeaky clean.

Really surprised these things don't just burn to the ground. 66 had an electric fuel pump accessed through a door in the rear what would be a seat in a larger car.

Maze of fuel lines, right above the exhaust.:homer:
20221203_212325.jpg

Got it to fire off starting fluid today, but there must be a plugged line from the tank/s to the fuel pump. Looks like it's going to be fun to get to as this thing is like 6" off the ground. Little different than working on the bronco:laughing:

So this car has been housed by a person who loved and cared about it. I'd say borderline obsessed over it. Unfortunately for the car, he placed his business and family first and let it sit, while he researched, shopped and stocked up on all the parts he wanted to fix on it. The documentation is unreal. Here's a sample. That's a 5" binder my wife was kind enough to put everything in plastic sleeves. We have two of the brochures that I plan to have framed front of one and back of the other.

20221212_192959.jpg
20221212_193255 (4).jpg

So did a bit on this yesterday after work in order to try to get it running this weekend. Fuel pump in the car is definitely shot. It had a Miles saver pressure regulator on it that had a cracked bowl so I removed that and replaced it with a rubber line for the time being. Blew out the lines from the carb to the old fuel pump and got them clear. Going to spray a bunch of carb cleaner down them to clean them out a bit more, hook up a new electric pump and see if I can get it to run off a gas can. If there is time, I may try to use a piece of thin wire cable to clear the line from the pump to the tank before I go replacing it.

Float was stuck, so we took the top off the carb and got it working, cleaned it out fairly good and got it to stop puking fuel everywhere(I had the same issues with the bronco when it was carbed). Fired it up and IT'S ALIVE. Smoked for a bit , and wouldn't idle then eventually sucked something we must have missed while cleaning out the bowl and plugged the jets. But it ran, fairly well for about 45 seconds to a minute before it died. Tomorrow is carb rebuild day and perhaps moving under it's own power.

Lastly, this is odd to me for a ford V-8. Is this a British thing that was done by Rootes, or is this some aftermarket item like the Milesmaster? My super jealous neighbor came over after we got the carb off and mentioned he had something similar on his Triumph.

12.17.22 Carb plate.jpg

The "Prefix - Base number - Suffix" part numbering scheme is Ford's deal. That spacer in particular was also found on Falcons and Mustangs. Most 2 barrel Ford stuff that era has one, some are heated some are just PCV/EGR inlet.

The "Prefix - Base number - Suffix" part numbering scheme is Ford's deal. That spacer in particular was also found on Falcons and Mustangs. Most 2 barrel Ford stuff that era has one, some are heated some are just PCV/EGR inlet.

This is heated. Those are coolant lines. It is called a carb pre heat plate I've been told on another board. The intake casting numbers indicate it was originally destined for a Fairlane, which makes sense as that is what Ian Garrard worked with Shelby to fit in the first cars in 63.

Excellent project, thanks for posting. It's a perfect survivor revival project and would be a shame to restomod it, IMHO. If the spare engine is a 289 hipo, that'd be really tempting to rebuild and swap because those little V8s sound amazing.

Excellent project, thanks for posting. It's a perfect survivor revival project and would be a shame to restomod it, IMHO. If the spare engine is a 289 hipo, that'd be really tempting to rebuild and swap because those little V8s sound amazing.
Thanks, even the stock 260 sounds amazing. We got it running today. Sounds HUGE for this tiny car :smokin: Good oil pressure and runs fairly smooth for a set of 40 year old wires, cap and rotor.

The DS muffler is partial rotted and the weld from the pipe coming off the muffler to the tailpipe is toast, completely broken muffler smashed on the bottom. Thankfully it came with a spare exhaust system bought in the late 70's :eek:.

Brakes are next. Wife is sitting next to me filling out the order form to call in tomorrow when they open. Shooting for driving by Jan 2023 now that I know it's a runner. Weather permitting:beer:

That heated carb base was intended to keep the carb from freezing up in cold damp weather.

Hmm, that's what I've gathered so far. That is a little weird. Most of these were "sold" in Sothern CA. Damp, maybe, but not cold. Who knows. Going to have it authenticated in June at an event at Sears Point(Sonoma raceway for you youngins) Hoping the last owner can come up to see it happen and enjoy the drive there from the north bay.

Oh and how can I post a vid of the engine running???

Hmm, that's what I've gathered so far. That is a little weird. Most of these were "sold" in Sothern CA. Damp, maybe, but not cold.
Latent heat of vaporization, the atomizing fuel drops a ton of heat. Carbs will ice up even in fairly warm weather given the right humidity and lack of intake/engine bay heat.

My baja bug would have frost on the carb and intake on a 65-70 degree day sometimes.

Latent heat of vaporization, the atomizing fuel drops a ton of heat. Carbs will ice up even in fairly warm weather given the right humidity and lack of intake/engine bay heat.

My baja bug would have frost on the carb and intake on a 65-70 degree day sometimes.
About 130-150 BTU per pound of gasoline per: https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy15osti/63091.pdf

Aaron Z

Top Back Refresh