What's new

Flatbed gooseneck and fiver

fordguy

blah.
Member Number
Need to put a flatbed onto my f450 cab and chassis. Ideally want to use a reese or ford gooseneck prep, so I could use a B&W fifth wheel on both my f450 and f250.

Problem is, the gooseneck prep mounts frame high, and flatbed will add probably 7" overall height, which I am thinking CAN be an issue for fifth wheel clearancw?

So, will there be an issue having fifth wheel pucks be like 6 inches below flatbed? I would really like this way to work, because I can then share my fifth wheel.

Also, are the puck system dimensions standard, or manufacturer speciroc?

Last edited:
I don’t know about the pucks, but you can use a B&W fifth wheel hitch with a B&W turnover hitch, which you can recess into the bed to whatever height you want. They even make one for that purpose that’s lower or has a smaller base or something. I don’t know what notebook I wrote it all down in, but there were a lot of options for getting height where you needed it.

This. Did the same thing to my C&M flatbed 2 months ago. It had the welded in ball, apparently so newer ones already come with B&W. Mine didn’t. Cut that out. Bought the B&W weld in gooseneck base.

The well was 14”x14”. That B&W 5th hitch / base says it needs 18”x18”. Make it 20”x20”. I’m glad we did because 18 would be tight. Overall height of the hitch is shorter than normal, plus it’s recessed another 4” or so. My flatbed is at ~47” off the ground and tows the camper dang near level.

I can grab some pics tomorrow.

You guys must have missed where I said I want something to fit the puck system, so that I could also use it on my F250 that has the factory gooseneck

You guys must have missed where I said I want something to fit the puck system, so that I could also use it on my F250 that has the factory gooseneck
Can the Cab&Chassis run the pucks with the straight frame rails? I don’t think I’ve seen a single stock flatbed accommodate the pucks? There are definitely at least 2 different layouts of the pucks, further complicating anything premade. Base of the Ford B&W OEM Hitch looks to take some big recesses to reach the frame thru a flatbed. The head can be swapped between different bases though
C16E0853-90D0-40AF-A92F-A518B0E88EBB.png

Can the Cab&Chassis run the pucks with the straight frame rails? I don’t think I’ve seen a single stock flatbed accommodate the pucks? There are definitely at least 2 different layouts of the pucks, further complicating anything premade. Base of the Ford B&W OEM Hitch looks to take some big recesses to reach the frame thru a flatbed. The head can be swapped between different bases though
Looking at this picture you could use the frame as the fixture.
Buy pucks, clamp them on the base, place base at desired location, weld

I got this done, used a reese kit that was shortened, 3/8 angle iron on the frame rails, and 1" plate as spacer. Will snap some pics tomorrow.

pics

Attachments

• PXL_20231010_215152386.jpg
    PXL_20231010_215152386.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20231010_215134248.jpg
    PXL_20231010_215134248.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20231010_215145705.jpg
    PXL_20231010_215145705.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 10
Top Back Refresh