What's new

Fj80 bench build - will this work?

Projectjunkie

Whatever
Member Number
Loc
Tucson Az
My friend, a welder fabricator by trade, overland wheeler... bought a clean 97ish fj80 yesterday with a popped motor, no lift, no lockers. He's gonna want to run 35s or 37s and tow a small camp trailer.

The 4l60e-toy tcase adaptor is $1400, to keep the stock, unlocked axles that still need a suspension lift

We're thinking 6.0 4l60or80e np241 sd60/elocker sterling combo, this is a driver side diff, and the 241 is fairly wide

I did 15min of searching on 'mud and came up empty

I haven't seen the truck yet, or crawled under one with a tape, is there any reason you can't run a driver drop?

I haven't seen the truck yet, or crawled under one with a tape, is there any reason you can't run a driver drop?

wouldn't matter if you're changing the whole driveline.

that being said, a centered output would work fine with the offset rear, weak point will be the front third.

The e locker Sterling, drivers drop super duty 60and a bolt up np241 have the most bang for the buck, will these components fit in an fj80 chassis?

The e locker Sterling, drivers drop super duty 60and a bolt up np241 have the most bang for the buck, will these components fit in an fj80 chassis?

Absolutely

But for what he wants, the stock axles and suspension are pretty good. You can fit 37s with the ome lift, which is good stuff.

What would be the plan for suspension if he goes with the SD axles?

If you want answers to your questions, ih8mud is going to be your best bet

I'm going to say no... since you don't know the difference between an FJ80 and FzJ80. :flipoff2::flipoff2:
Well, since all the differences between the two will wind up in the swap meet pile, I don't think it matters:flipoff2:
Absolutely

But for what he wants, the stock axles and suspension are pretty good. You can fit 37s with the ome lift, which is good stuff.

What would be the plan for suspension if he goes with the SD axles?

If you want answers to your questions, ih8mud is going to be your best bet
Probably a builder kit 3 link and coils for the front, likely leaves and bags for the back.
The factory axles are alright, but since it isn't already lifted and locked, and keeping them may require the factory t case, and $1400 adaptor, may as well spend some of that money elsewhere and get tons and e locker :homer:

Mud seemed to come up empty, ill poke around more.

Well, since all the differences between the two will wind up in the swap meet pile, I don't think it matters:flipoff2:

Probably a builder kit 3 link and coils for the front, likely leaves and bags for the back.
The factory axles are alright, but since it isn't already lifted and locked, and keeping them may require the factory t case, and $1400 adaptor, may as well spend some of that money elsewhere and get tons and e locker :homer:

Mud seemed to come up empty, ill poke around more.

Tons are necessary better if you don't need them. From what you said, it's going to be a pretty mild rig. Swapping all the axles and suspension out to "save" $1400 doesn't make much sense. Although, I do see how that $1400 is a hard pill to swallow for a stupid adapter, which is why I suggested using a different tcase. D300, atlas, 205 or pass drop 241 would all be good options allowing you to use the factory axles and suspension.

Alright, some poking around shows that a handful of guys run fj80 axles in mini truck's with no problems in trail rigs, and vibrations in highway driven rigs

I read that the 80 has a narrower frame than a 60, making a driver side t case less likely to fit

Speaking of 60s I have a fj60 for parts, the gm-fj60 t case adaptor is significantly cheaper, is it a similar offset to the fj80?

This would also eliminate some of the 80 t case gadgetry....

Top Back Refresh