What's new

FJ62 Adventuremobile

so are you doing a 5.3 swap? maybe i missed it...

Yep. Blown head gasket in the 3fe and a 300k mile auto trans kicked the domino. A 6.0 would be cool but have to draw the line somewhere.

A friend had this Tahoe locally for a decent price, it cranked up drove around the neighborhood just fine. I went ahead and jumped on it vs fighting off the vultures at the salvage yards :laughing:

i just pulled a 5.3 2 weeks back to start my swap next month. i am doing th350 and atlas. cant wait to get it done not sure why i have waited so long

i just pulled a 5.3 2 weeks back to start my swap next month. i am doing th350 and atlas. cant wait to get it done not sure why i have waited so long
Nice! An atlas would be overkill for my use, I’m just going to run the split case. These trucks are great with a 5.3, you won’t regret it.

Can you hear this picture? Sounds like bald eagles.

682D0A43-1DCE-440E-AF4C-D64DBAC6196F.jpeg

A more detailed update:

Engine and trans pulled yesterday in about 3 hours from start to clean up. This Tahoe had about 160k on it and was $1500. I'm assuming it was a repossession situation. Drove it onto the trailer and it has all 4 forward gears and reverse :laughing:. Engine oil was super dark, Fram oil filter installed.

However, the missing bellhousing bolt and super fresh trans fluid make me think that the transmission may have been rebuilt

Most of the oil seems to be coming from the valve covers. It had two broken exhaust manifold bolts upon arrival that statistic remained unchanged after removing those remaining :smokin:

E846F971-52D3-4DD2-841E-741E50C8EBF3.jpeg

Driver side. The dirty side. :grinpimp::grinpimp:

D0190DAB-15B7-4390-AA0C-2EBA1410B715.jpeg

Passenger.

At this point I cracked a celebration beer for buying what is likely not a complete piece of dumpster garbage.

7BDD6612-3806-4B88-957F-57C6A9E981C7.jpeg

Plugs and wires look original. Fortunately there aren't any oil soaked outliers. Everything is mostly uniform.

86341C01-F347-448F-A6E1-3258E5CDD3BF.jpeg

Last edited:
I am conflicted on my strategy going forward. I do not want to poke the scab and cause more problems, but I also do not want to start over in a year :laughing:. What else

A probably incomplete list of what is going to happen:

-Valve cover gaskets
-Plugs/wires
-Tstat
-Water pump
-Oil pickup o-ring or gasket or whatever
-Belts/idlers/tensioners
-steam vent

Items under consideration:

-Lifter trays/intake manifold gaskets/head gaskets
-Front and rear main seals
-Knock sensors (don't even know if they will be used)

Thots?

Last edited:
so i am in this exact spot minus i have not pulled the engine apart yet, its still on the floor. but i was going to do a valve cover and intake gaskets because mine has a bunch of oil up there. the sensors yes, water pump and t stat, and pulleys, and did not want to open it up further. now that will all change if i find something that tells me other wise. my tranny fluid was quite burnt, so your kinda lucky there...

what engine management system are you going to use, so far i am set on fitech stand alone with out tranny controls because th350. but have been told to look into holly.

so i am in this exact spot minus i have not pulled the engine apart yet, its still on the floor. but i was going to do a valve cover and intake gaskets because mine has a bunch of oil up there. the sensors yes, water pump and t stat, and pulleys, and did not want to open it up further. now that will all change if i find something that tells me other wise. my tranny fluid was quite burnt, so your kinda lucky there...

what engine management system are you going to use, so far i am set on fitech stand alone with out tranny controls because th350. but have been told to look into holly.
Intake gaskets probably wouldn’t hurt either, I remember those going bad on the older 5.3s.

Management will probably be a Howell harness and a reflashed stock ECM. I have a little bit of help from some homies in that department so I’m going to do what I’m told :laughing::laughing:

Scrubbing the miles off. Gross. Making a fawkin mess.

image.jpg

Tried some paint out. Not a fan.

7709A036-351A-434A-8D96-B887521F6C0D.jpeg

Swapped over to rust oleum hammered pewter. Better color and better fuckup camoflauge. We’ll see how it looks when it dries. The lighting makes it hard to photograph but it is a little darker in person
image.jpg

A whole bunch of boring showed up

image.jpg

Last edited:
I did the exact same thing with my 2 tone silver 4runner bumper. I usually just do satin black everything, but figured I'd try to stick with the silver. Was way lighter than I thought, but oh well. That shit is way to expensive to do over :laughing:

I did the exact same thing with my 2 tone silver 4runner bumper. I usually just do satin black everything, but figured I'd try to stick with the silver. Was way lighter than I thought, but oh well. That shit is way to expensive to do over :laughing:

It was $6 for a can to paint it wrong the first time. This one was paint I found in my shed. Satin black is happening if this doesn’t work :laughing:

New grey is better than other grey. My lights still suck for pictures

Still undecided.

It may be just the right amount of Australian.

1D9E0571-E467-420A-8F37-3AC3978345FA.jpeg

TECK (for my notes):

The FJ62 is a goober that has a vacuum actuated 2/4wd engagement and mine has never worked correctly. There is a switch on the dash that engages one of two vacuum solenoids at a time to provide vacuum to either side of the actuator, one for 2wd and the other for 4wd. My actuators have been toast for years, so I have just been swapping the vacuum lines around to put it into party mode.

Additionally, the pre-80 series cruisers require the transfer case to be completely disassembled to remove them from the transmission. So my transfer case is currently sitting in boxes disassembled on a shelf.

There is no better time to convert this thing to a regular manual shift the way God intended.

There are two ways to do this from my research:

1)- Order this kit from Cruiser Outfitters

TCMANCONV_9__45652.jpeg

-Order these shifters from Trail Tailor

s636847883211460006_p169_i1_w1200.jpeg

2) Order a twin stick kit from Advance Adapters

0001173_lc-twin-stick-linkagev8-truck-4speeds_625.jpeg

-Also order these items to install a detent ball on the 2/4 shift rail. The vacuum actuator was originally doing that job.

Roll pin 90254-05004
Detent ball 90360-10003
Compression Spring 90501-16115
Detent cup 90341-15001

I'm going with option 2. It's cheaper and the adjustability in the twin stick system could make it easier to get the shifters back in the hole where they need to be.

so far seem like th LS is going well , good to hear. what you cleaning with?

Going pretty well. Just ordered my adapter, it should be here soon. Then it’s kind of game on.

That was just purple power and a bristle brush followed by a brake cleaner chaser

I wanted to pressure wash it before I pulled it, but I had some volunteer help show up way faster than expected and wasn’t about to jeprodize that :laughing:

Last edited:
Goal for the evening was to get the new oil pan installed, I won't ever pass up an opportunity to enjoy a beer underneath anything suspended by my HF engine hoist.. Goal achieved probably. The oil pan has to be swapped to clear the front differential. I am in a better spot because the 80 axle pushes the diff slightly outboard, the diff is slightly smaller, and I will be running some lift spring. Even with a different oil pan, the LS swapped stockish 60s I've seen can get super tight.

I'm unsurprised by the funk. At least the known mileage guess was probably correct

9BD69A6C-1001-4C04-89B4-4949FC5DA6DE.jpeg

F84F6275-4AB0-41EE-B47C-C4BECBAC59EA.jpeg

No pics of the internals but I got a "muscle car" oil pan off of Amazon. It came with new hardware, a gasket, pickup tube, windage tray, dipstick and dipstick tube. I ran the old hardware and a GM gasket that I had already ordered from Rock Auto

17B2AF21-AE18-4BCF-8AEA-54D8DFAA4934.jpeg

D2633B86-9AAD-4D32-A04B-C7B9BDBCD2ED.jpeg

I did find an oddity with my Wish.com level kit. This bellhousing --> oil pan bolt hole is all whack and in the wrong spot. It 'shouldn't' leak, as there is no pathway for the oil and the gasket is primarily clamped from the vertical bolts, so I'm going to run it. It sure is weird, but not really weird enough for me to take it off, return it, and reorder another one +$100 from a more respectable PRC reseller like Summit.

DF60BB9A-2965-4875-901B-06932A27971A.jpeg
4947F7CF-55D6-408D-9CAD-3B2B855264F6.jpeg

Last edited:
mines full of oil on the top also and it is pulled allready so i am in the same boat for sure.
Have I missed your build thread or do you just need to start one :flipoff2:

After going through your threads looking for it, we need to meet up at SMORR, RMR or Green Acres

you are correct , i do need to get some sort of a thread going, when i found irate4x4 i think i was finishing up on revision goat 3.5. our group want to get out east for sure, like TN..meet up wheel.. just have not made to commitment yet. if i had it my way i would go back to RMR next week.

i will get some sort of a thread going , if nothing else a recap and the direction forward. thanks for the push... :grinpimp::beer:

Boring stuff:

Took an hour or two tonight and got the brake hard lines done. Finally got the bolts and things to finish up the rear caliper install, I procrastinated that one a bit.

Need to measure and order some longer hoses, then the brakes are complete

68B64029-277B-46C2-890F-BC76D58F01D9.jpeg

E2639FFB-235A-4C62-B23E-6AD25A3CB39A.jpeg

85EC1427-76C7-4F4C-8688-588756687B9B.jpeg

Top Back Refresh