What's new

Fixing a busted car battery. Bad idea?

Lil'John

Former #278
Member Number
Loc
Walking to the Rubicon
I ordered a new battery. Due to bad packing and FedEx doing FedEx things, the ground on the case was "busted":
DeadBattery_cut.jpg

You can see the cracking around the red 'line'. A volt meter says the battery has a charge.:idea:

So the simple question, can I do JB weld to seal it up and run it? If not JB weld, anything better? Intended use is for the trailer winch.

FWIW, I was told to keep it so the other option is to the dump with the rest of the batteries.:shaking:

I would use a soldering iron and seal it back up and run it.
Wouldn't hurt to put a high current load (trail welder) on the battery to ensure the negative terminal is not broken / damaged internally.

I would use a soldering iron and seal it back up and run it.
Wouldn't hurt to put a high current load (trail welder) on the battery to ensure the negative terminal is not broken / damaged internally.
I'll check if I have a spare solder tip. Sounds like it is worth a try.

FWIW, nothing in the box was messed up so nothing leaked.

Clb I was somewhat shocked with how easy the refund was:
Me: "Battery is busted. Box was damaged but not enough to refuse it. Here is picture of battery."
Auto company in about twelve hours: "We're sorry. Keep the battery. Expect a refund in about three days."

Good point.
At what temp does the hydrogen go boom?
The old plasti welder used hot air.
Soldering irons temp varies.
This could be an issue.

Op glad to see an easy return/ damage situation :usa:

Good point.
At what temp does the hydrogen go boom?
The old plasti welder used hot air.
Soldering irons temp varies.
This could be an issue.

Op glad to see an easy return/ damage situation :usa:
According to this:

650C/1202F

Any epoxy you'd recommend? I'm lightly concerned over the acid part of it. But, I'm going to use it as a trailer winch battery so excessive "abuse" isn't a concern.
Shooting from the hip, jb weld or cold weld.

Had a buddy whose H8 got chewed on by the alternator fan a little bit on the bottom. He sealed it back up with JB Weld and as far as I saw it never showed any side effects afterward. Whatever works.

Top Back Refresh