What's new

Fishing flies - what are they really worth?

AlxJ64

Rust is Paint
Member Number
Loc
Richmond / Cville - VA
If this post shouldn't be here, please feel free to delete it.

My grandfather passed away this past fall and my dad and I are helping my grandmother raise some funds by going through some things and selling them. He owned a sporting goods dealership for a few years when he retired from day job stuff and when he closed that up a bunch of stuff went into storage at home; my grandmother had no idea how much stuff actually was not sold at the close of the business.

Well, here is something that I have been tasked with getting rid of and have no idea where to start. I tried selling a few on FB marketplace and cold called some local places but nobody was really interested.

Does anyone know how to put a reasonable value on these and / or a resource for liquidating things like this. I have a listing on eBay but it doesn't get many views even as I don't think shops are looking on there for inventory to relist. Selling them 5 at a time on FB marketplace for $12 is not worth the headache because people range from crooks to dealing with the USPS losing 30% of what goes out.

Theres like 11,000 of these things... yea.

Again, just wondering if anyone on here has a friend who has a fly fishing outfit, or whatever. The people that have bought them on FB said they slay the crappie and pan fish. I'm not much into fishing myself so I am not best suited for this.

Again, please delete if this is in the wrong place.

1210201920a.jpg

1210201922.jpg

1210201859.jpg

I'm not sure those are "flies" looks like a lure for conventional bait fishing...
Hand tied flies run $2-5 +- round here.

Yeah I also agree not a fly lure, more spin cast / bait fishing. That's alot of them :eek: maybe a local or semi local fishing shop? That a tough unload.

I have no idea of worth, I hardly ever fish(ed) but...

At even $3 per that's thousands of dollars but it would take years/decades to sell them all (or I would think).

Maybe get creative, think outside the box... Offer up a raffle on FB or wherever and sell the tickets for $10, winner takes the whole shebang. Something along those lines where you're not selling these individually anyway. Maybe something else someone can conjure. Or not...

They look like good small mouth lures. Hell, I'd take a few off your hands.

Those definately arent "flies" for fly fishing theyre spinners. I would look at selling in bulk to other tackle shops. Try 100 pc lots at $2 a piece. Theyll probably sell for $3-4 in a shop. Also try selling on ebay or Amazon. Thats a lot of spinners to get rid of.

Spinners!!!!!!!!!!!!! and off brand at that.
As another suggested peddle them on ebay with a "take it off my hands/buy it now price" in lot form. Probably the best bet...

Hit up the manager at your local big box sporting goods store. Ask if they know or can find out who their purchasing agents are and see if you can swing a deal with one of them.

The annual Fishing and Boat Expo is coming up next month in Nashville. If you've got something like that local, maybe see about renting a booth. Sure, it'll take manning the booth, but you should be able to offload a lot of that stuff in a 2-3 days. You could get retail price on what you sell at the show, and find another vendor to sell the remaining lot to afterwards.

That said, I'll give you $50 for 20 of them shipped.

Yeah. Nothing against them but being home/hand packaged is not going to sell well.

Stuck may have the best idea, small lot price.

Yeah. Nothing against them but being home/hand packaged is not going to sell well.

Stuck may have the best idea, small lot price.
I dont see the home packaging being an issue. Go into most tackle shops and youll see all kinds of regional (local) lures packaged like that. They usually sell pretty well if they work.

So whats the breakdown as far as sizes and weight?

I dont see the home packaging being an issue. Go into most tackle shops and youll see all kinds of regional (local) lures packaged like that. They usually sell pretty well if they work.
Agreed. Stuff like that sells like hot cakes around here.
I’d also be interested!

Contact Green Top in Ashland.
It's kind of funny that Green Top has a better fly fishing department then the Cabelas around the corner.
Like I said in my post above, put me in for a selection.

Contact Green Top in Ashland.

They were who I went to first and they told me that they weren't interested because they weren't something name brand that had a backing. That was last year, maybe I can give it another run.

Sorry for the slow response on this regarding the requests to sell them to ya'll here; I didn;t realize I hadn't put notifications on for the thread.

They're rather tiny, I think 1/5th of a gram or so each and here is a photo of scale.

I'll extend the offer of 20 for $50 shipped or open to other offers if you want to send me a message and I'll reach out to those who have already spoken up.
Thanks everyone, my grandmother appreciates this.

FB_IMG_1607646805737.jpg

I'd take 20 for $50.

And PS we are in the process of getting rid of all my Godmothers stuff. Brand new items with price tags of $30-$50, zero takers. I am practically giving the stuff away. Americans have had life way to easy for a long time and don't understand what is is to need anything. It's all a few clicks away.

It's kind of funny that Green Top has a better fly fishing department then the Cabelas around the corner.
Like I said in my post above, put me in for a selection.
I tried to send you a message about these, but for some reason I can't start a conversation from my end.

Everyone else that said they directly were interested I have sent a message or heard from; If I missed you, please reach out. Thanks!

I'd take 20 for $50.

And PS we are in the process of getting rid of all my Godmothers stuff. Brand new items with price tags of $30-$50, zero takers. I am practically giving the stuff away. Americans have had life way to easy for a long time and don't understand what is is to need anything. It's all a few clicks away.
It kills me selling stuff. People will haggle endlessly over a $10-15 item that was a lot more. But then they will stop at starbucks/mcdonalds/walmart and drop that much on junk food or trinkets. Pass up something only to spend 4x more since its "on sale" at home depot. Advertisers know how to separate people from money without them even realizing

Top Back Refresh