What's new

First Gen Rear Disc Brake Conversion

GBG8201

Yota Newb
Member Number
Loc
Iowa
Howdy. Question for the disc brake conversion Yota people: What the fuck do you do for caliper mounts on a narrow (1982) rear axle?
There isn't shit for room between the calipers and the leaf springs, along with the u-bolt plates. For my current situation I have Montero rotors and if I remember right, Toyota calipers (identical to the fronts).

I'll add pics in a min, I should mention the truck in question is running rear TG springs and has a u-bolt flip. It seems like my best options are mounting the caliper low on either the front or rear side of the rotor. The calipers clear the springs, but the slide bolts won't be able to come out without removing the caliper in the event of servicing them. Minor inconvenience I know, but if there's a better way I'm all ears.

I'll add whatever we figure out here to the new bible since I didn't see anything there on this yet. Lets hear it.

Last edited:
If you can’t figure out how to make a caliper mount out of steel plate you might want to buy Trail Gears rear disc kit. This is literally junior high shit. Cardboard is your friend for making templates.

If you can’t figure out how to make a caliper mount out of steel plate you might want to buy Trail Gears rear disc kit. This is literally junior high shit. Cardboard is your friend for making templates.
Bracket I can make, thats not the question. I'm wondering how more experienced Toyota people have handled the lack of clearance on the narrow axle. A later wide axle would net another 1.5" on each side, eliminating the issue. Junior high shit? Really? Any middle schooler can check their messages in a timely manner, which you can't/don't/won't.

Its possible there are better rotor options I am unaware of. Something shallower perhaps. Let's see if a pic helps...
IMG_20220215_191058.jpg

Mount them underneath the spring. Bleed the calipers off, then once full install them. They don't really care about angle and ideally will be cover by the wheel.

I've been digging through the old bible as well. So much info on brake conversions, many of them utilizing GM setups. I'm not married to that rotor choice, so something a little shallower might be ok. The linked ones look like yota rotors, I'll see if I can dig up some dimensions. Thank you.

I have access to an IFS axle if I have to go that route, but that'll mean changing things on my front as well. Freshly rebuilt so doable but not ideal.

Mounting the calipers really low would probably work, but then they're hanging down there a bit more vulnerable than normal. I appreciate the thoughts guys.

At one point I had planned on using some chev 1/2 front rotors, but the centre bore was too small, so they had to be machined.

I will be resurrecting that project in a bit, so I am interested in what you come up with. I am going to be adding disc brakes, ideally with a parking brake set-up that works with the factory cables on my FJ60. I have a pile of calipers and rotors to try. Ford Mustang cobra calipers and front rotors from a 2013 4runner, a rear RX7 set of rotors and calipers.

I've been digging through the old bible as well. So much info on brake conversions, many of them utilizing GM setups. I'm not married to that rotor choice, so something a little shallower might be ok. The linked ones look like yota rotors, I'll see if I can dig up some dimensions. Thank you.

I have access to an IFS axle if I have to go that route, but that'll mean changing things on my front as well. Freshly rebuilt so doable but not ideal.

Mounting the calipers really low would probably work, but then they're hanging down there a bit more vulnerable than normal. I appreciate the thoughts guys.
Change what on the front axle? Throw some 1 1/2" spacers on there like everyone else on rock that shit:flipoff2:
Edit.. do you really need dual calipers? How big of tires do you run? Or those just mocked up for the pic?

Did they hide the toyota bible at the old place?
There's yer spoon:flipoff2:
Slight derail:

Don’t discourage people from creating the new, improved IBB brake bible by sending them to the pit of misery :flipoff2:

Edit: I can’t say I don’t lurk for information over there, it’s such a miserable slog to find it now I’d rather it be repeated here.

Change what on the front axle? Throw some 1 1/2" spacers on there like everyone else on rock that shit:flipoff2:
Edit.. do you really need dual calipers? How big of tires do you run? Or those just mocked up for the pic?
Oh hell no, I don't need dual calipers, that pic is just showing interference in both places depending on it I choose to mount the calipers to the front or rear. So yeah, mocked up for the pic. They happen to be hanging off the spring plate actually. I can definitely get some spacers, which its probably the smart option for now. A buddy gave me a set of ifs hubs but I don't want to tear down the front I just rebuilt to rebuild these hubs and install them. Hate to do the same job twice ya know.

Fuck it, do the duals! Post a build thread and drive with a dash cam so we can witness the fun of all the rockfords you do!

The update nobody cares about: I'm converting to a later housing and shafts, so I'll be swapping axles and continuing with the other parts I already have.

I think the solution for a narrow housing and disc brakes is to use smaller calipers from a Tracker, and shallower rotors from something other than the Montero.

The update nobody cares about: I'm converting to a later housing and shafts, so I'll be swapping axles and continuing with the other parts I already have.

I think the solution for a narrow housing and disc brakes is to use smaller calipers from a Tracker, and shallower rotors from something other than the Montero.
I care. I have a literal pile of narrow axles that may get used in non-toy stuff that may have clearance issues.
Someday in the far future when I get to one of those projects I’ll try the suggestions:beer:

I have the 2000 mustang GT calipers with the e-brake on Montero rotors. The calipers are shorter than those, but wider to accommodate for the e-brake hardware. My junk is linked, but I'm using a narrow toy rear axle.

Great, do you have a way to tell if your setup would clear the leaf springs/ubolt plates if you had them?

You'd have to run them under the leaf, but might still work.

Attachments

• IMG_20171114_160746.jpg
    IMG_20171114_160746.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Top Back Refresh