What's new

Fire Pit Grill

Member Number
Loc
Abitibi
I finally got my crusher cone fire pit set up in the backyard. Had a few fires in it and it works well. It's sitting on a buried truck rim that lets good air flow in. It's 38 inch diameter.

Momma wants a grate to cook on, and she gave me these pics. These things are $5000 from sea island forge. :eek:

I wanna copy the grate.

I think I should be using 304 stainless. Haven't called yet to see what's available.

The grate will be 24 inch diameter.

For the outer ring, does 1.5x0.25 inch flatbar sound reasonable? I can't quite tell from the pics what size it is, might be 2 inch, might be 3/16 thick?
If it's 2x0.25 the ring will weigh ten lbs.

What thickness should the grate be? I think it's 3/4 inch flattened expanded steel. I think they stock 1/8 inch, but I've never bought stainless, so....?

Also, what do I have to do to not poison myself welding stainless, yes I'm talking to you [486] .
I'll be mig welding with whatever super secret mix gas I have from Linde.

7bb5f8852d440a879fa3b9c754729cd6.jpg
firepit grill.png
firepit grill2.png
JH1_6595+copy.jpg
JH1_6701+copy.jpg

if you would settle for 22.5" grate, you could use any number of circular grates available for really cheap to fit the traditional weber grill...

making it go up and down and swivel is another task all together

if you would settle for 22.5" grate, you could use any number of circular grates available for really cheap to fit the traditional weber grill...

making it go up and down and swivel is another task all together
Yeah, I just called, nobody has stock on stainless within 300 kms of me. I know a guy who makes stainless steel totes for explosive emulsion, might see if he's got anything. Other than that, it's probably gonna be easier to make the ring from mild and buy that 22.5 inch grate. Thanks!

That's $5000? I'm in the wrong fucking business.

No shit!

That prefab weber circle grill looks super flimsy, although easy to add some middle support.

I checked my weber bbq grill and it's 3/8 rod on a 7/8 spacing.

I just did the math, if I make a 24 inch ring like this and use 1/4 inch round on 7/8 spacing it'll take about 40 feet of round and weigh 7 lbs. Another 11 lbs for the flatbar.

Sounds reasonable to me. Stainless would be nice, oh well, fuck it.

bbq grill.png

We don't weld stainless often, but I think we use 75% argon/ 25% Co2, something in that ballpark, with stainless wire. If you don't really care about the weld points oxidizing, you can weld it with regular hardwire and gas, but it'll corrode where you weld it. Depends on what we're doing since we don't weld it often, sometimes it's not worth it to switch wire and gas out if we're just doing a plant project.

This is mine. I tossed a brake rotor inside to make the hole smaller.

It's easy to keep clean, just yank the rotor out and you can fit a spade shovel through the hole to shovel out the ash. Should be good for a bunch of fires before it needs cleaning.

P8100821.JPG
P8100822.JPG

I would put a fan downwind of the weld to suck the smoke away from your face and vent it out of the garage.

A built in style grill I’ve got has a mechanism for moving the charcoal tray up and down if you’re looking for ideas for moving the grate.
2F337076-2E06-4CFD-9181-8A44E426EC81.jpeg
7A7D12D2-8D9A-4401-B8D3-CBAE34B99253.jpeg

Got the steel delivered yesterday.

I think I'm gonna try chaining the flatbar to a wheel on my trailer then backing up to wrap it around the tire.

Weber has a 26" and 37" grates available as well.

Also, what do I have to do to not poison myself welding stainless, yes I'm talking to you [486] .
ah shit, the mention function doesn't work for my name sorry

what you do is pickle it in muriatic acid after welding, then hose it off real good
it dissolves off all the shit that isn't stainless enough after welding

don't breathe the smoke while welding, it'll have all sorts of hexavalent chrome and such in it

Got the steel delivered yesterday.

I think I'm gonna try chaining the flatbar to a wheel on my trailer then backing up to wrap it around the tire.
tack weld one end down to something nice and heavy, then chase it around with the torch an inch at a time

heat on the inside of the bend because the outside will make it get those ugly splitty cracks from stretching rather than it mushing the metal together.

tack weld one end down to something nice and heavy, then chase it around with the torch an inch at a time

heat on the inside of the bend because the outside will make it get those ugly splitty cracks from stretching rather than it mushing the metal together.
I ain't got time for all that. :flipoff2:

...and my torch is empty.

Should have kept going about 10 more inches, but it'll massage out after welding I think.

setup1.png

setup2.png

rolled on wheel.png

rolled on wheel 3.png

springback.png

Yeah, I just called, nobody has stock on stainless within 300 kms of me. I know a guy who makes stainless steel totes for explosive emulsion, might see if he's got anything. Other than that, it's probably gonna be easier to make the ring from mild and buy that 22.5 inch grate. Thanks!
What's a kms? :flipoff2::usa:

Some pics of the ratchet mechanism. If it isn't obvious, two toothy bars are needed to give a finer adjustment than a single bar, as the tooth holes would overlap leaving little to no material.

Last pic shows full height. Lowest height is right down into the pit as low as the grill would fit.

I had considered a pointy profile, but don't like the fact that it would be hooking on a sharpened edge that would probably wear away very fast. Using the round bolt shank at the top means the ratchet bars hook on regardless of their angle, which changes significantly throughout the range of motion. Hope that makes sense. I used a bolt because I think it should take longer to wear out than mild steel.

Obviously the thing isn't finished yet, just proving that it'll work before final touches.

P8240926.JPG
P8240927.JPG
P8240928.JPG
P8240929.JPG

Top Back Refresh