What's new

F150 Tremor Air Lift helper springs

NPKennny

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Lehi, AZ
The truck is a 2023 F150 Tremor. I have removed the rear blocks and added Air Lift 5000 helper springs with the Daystar spring cups. The truck sit very close to level now since the tremor is a bit higher up front.

This truck is my work truck and do all. I drive 30-50k per year and tow regularly. I downsized to a 1/2 ton for a better ride, lower bed height, and better

I installed the air springs to keep the truck off the bump stops while towing. The bags are tee’d together and are filled by a Schrader on the rear bumper. I did not install onboard air.

The springs are spot on while towing. Exactly what I wanted. Unloaded, they have really impacted the ride. I bleed all of the air I can through the Schrader valve, but the slight inflation in the bags is unforgiving on potholes and speed bumps.

Would an accumulator set-up help here? Pull the valve stem on the Schrader valve while unloaded? Dump the air while the trailer is still hooked-up to purge more air? Install a dump valve to leave open while unloaded? (I am concerned about dust getting inside the bags.)

Thanks for reading.

As a note, the Tremor package is a solid package for my needs. Torsen front, electronic locking rear, 3.73 gears, really nice running boards, 33” AT tires, full-size / matching wheel spare, nice cloth seats, 18+ mpg, tons of power, great bed tie-downs and lights, up-fitter switches, and zero chrome.

I recently installed OEM helper bags in my 1500 Silverado and if the bags aren't empty it rides rough. They replace the bump stops. I ran the lines the same way you did. After I drop a trailer I pull the valve stem and replace it when I get home. I tow once a month average and the bags with only 25 PSI took out all the rear end bounce with a 5,000 pound trailer.

The bags are supposed to have at least 5psi. Don't imagine a vacuum would be good.

Put a filter.

Every 1/2 ton I've rode in felt like a wobbling blob of lard from the super soft springs.

Some of the Dodge guys will suck them up manually or with a vacuum so the internal bumpstop is already engaged. Others will pull them and swap in boogie bumps when they get to the run and dumped the trailer.

The ramp rate is quick when compressing, so even empty, they get stiff as you’ve noticed. I think I’ve heard the lines/fittings don’t flow enough for the accumulator idea to be effective.

Uptravel so there is room for the bags to have more room between the cradle and bump can help too.

I’ve had the AirLift Wireless compressor, fucking nice if 5psi minimum is ok for you. Current truck, I picked up a Milwaukee M18 compressor for filling up as needed.

I put a set of Timbrens on the 5500. Instructions said to use the spacer.

I may as well have welded the axle to the frame :laughing:

The ramp rate is quick when compressing, so even empty, they get stiff as you’ve noticed.

Current truck, I picked up a Milwaukee M18 compressor for filling up as needed.
Yes, the ramp rate is what I was not expecting. <5 psi turns into what feels like 50psi instantly.

Same on the M18 inflator. Much more useful for me.

I may as well have welded the axle to the frame :laughing:

That’s what the “empty” bags feel like unloaded on a larger bump.

Off to put a trailer on to dump more air from the springs.

Last edited:
Every 1/2 ton I've rode in felt like a wobbling blob of lard from the super soft springs.

Think Lincoln Town Car with a marginally functional bed… that can also tow and function really well off-road. The ride is something I got used to VERY quickly.

And upon further investigation, my helper springs are indeed my new bump stop. Adding the weight of a trailer only bled a small additional portion of air. My down travel is limited significantly. The air springs are completely compressed at normal ride height.

I need to see if I can figure out how to gain a few inches of spring travel without putting the blocs lift blocks back in,

My 2008 1500 Silverado rides like a truck. I upgraded the struts and shocks to KYB firm rides. It wasn't very expensive and was a huge improvement. It was never soft, just unpredictable.

The helper bags came on a baby 14 bolt axle I recently swapped in to get rid of the crappy 10 bolt. I think I have a very good light duty tow rig now.

Top Back Refresh