What's new

Expanded metal for headboard?

dave_dj1

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Jackson NY
I know nothing about this stuff so have no idea what to ask for at the steel yard. I order on the phone and they deliver it.
It doesn't have to be super thick but picture this truck being loaded with logs with a tractor and grapple in place of the bucket (it will get banged) I'm not opposed to having plain square grid vs diamond grid.
faEYx6Cl.jpg

I've always used 1/8" stamped for things like that. Think they call it perforated.

McNichols.com

figure out what you want a d order from there, or the supplier of your choosing
most service centers carry expanded metal. You will need a specialized supplier for perforated or mesh

discount steel ("we're now coremark metals!") had a good website with a chart on the various numbers of expanded metal both raised and flattened, they might still have it somewhere, though their site got fucked over hard with the rebrand. Got turned into a cell-phone browser accessable site, which means you can't find anything and all the most valuable charts and resources got skipped over in favor of shitty marketing popups

they might not be totally standardized, but I really think they're an ASTM thing so they should be fairly standardized

Last edited:
:laughing:

I don't think google can deliver a pic of some hot chick with diamond impressions on her forehead. But I've been wrong before. :lmao:

I was at a rodeo/drunk fest/camping trip 20+ years ago and a drink dude stumbled into my camp. I offered him a burger since I was already grilling over the expanded metal on the fire. He ate and sat by the fire. I got distracted and when I turned around his forehead was firmly placed on the grill... :laughing:. About that time his buddies came up and laughed about his predicament and took him back to their camp.

:laughing:

I don't think google can deliver a pic of some hot chick with diamond impressions on her forehead. But I've been wrong before. :lmao:

I'm betting you underestimate the depravity of the internet:laughing:

[486 said:
;n305154]discount steel ("we're now coremark metals!") had a good website with a chart on the various numbers of expanded metal both raised and flattened, they might still have it somewhere, though their site got fucked over hard with the rebrand. Got turned into a cell-phone browser accessable site, which means you can't find anything and all the most valuable charts and resources got skipped over in favor of shitty marketing popups

they might not be totally standardized, but I really think they're an ASTM thing so they should be fairly standardized

#9 is the most standard flat expanded metal around here I think. And I would assume every standard steel supplier would have that in stock.

if looking for something special (woven or perforated) check out mcnichols as posted earlier. They actually have reasonable prices and a close location to me

I'd use some rock screen, but that is because I have a butt-load of it from our gravel pit... Do you have any local gravel screening places that would let you take some worn out screens off their hands for free/cheap?

Personally I absolutely hate regular expanded metal. Other stuff is so much more interesting, like the woven screen. It's also too fragile and easy to damage if it's used in large pieces. It's also a fucking nightmare to grind off if you want to change it. Sometimes a air chisel will peel it right off, other times it's grinder hell.

I worked at a place that had giant expanded metal, like the holes were big enough to get your hand through. It was thicker metal to make up for the less structure. I liked it, but have never seen it since. It was nice since air could probably move through it easier (like if it was a trailer's ramp) and you could see through it easier.

It would definetly endure getting banged better than the standard stuff.

Metalsdepot.com is a good source for figuring what you want. Albany steel up by you has good prices.

Let me guess, you make love to Slayer and someone ends up bleeding?

Metalsdepot.com is a good source for figuring what you want. Albany steel up by you has good prices.

I get my steel from Albany steel, they are reasonable.

You fuckers bring the funnay....I can use the laughs :lmao:
I have always heard it called a headboard but I will go with headache rack from now on
To me, a headache rack is a hot young thang who likes to show the rack off and you get involved with her
Now THIS is a headache rack!
41897a5e5b56f5dd081e8082893dd5fa.jpg

Skip the expanded metal and get "bar grate" or "floor grate"

It doesn't wind up weighing that much more when you account for all the reinforcement you would need to keep expanded metal from being floppy shit and breaking your window anyway when something lets loose.

I'm pretty sure Grnd93 can weld something up for yea. :flipoff2:

3/8 expanded grating is what I've used in the past. Tough and can see through fine. Limitless tie down area too.

I have rock screen on my headache rack. It looks better than expanded metal and is way more stronger.

I bought a used sheet at the recycler for cheap. They make all different sizes, but mine has 2 1/4" (iirc) square holes in it.

May want to consider live stock panels. They are 4-5ft x 16 ft . 1/4" welded round stock galvanized. There list by cattle,hog and sheep/goat. Sheep/goat are 4" Sq opening. Have use them on deck builds before ,meets code and doesn't block your vision to much. Last time I bought them was around 40$

Top Back Refresh