• 5 Topics

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
When we fired this place up it was a joint decision to not push the legal envelope and use a script to copy all the posts over. It was pointed out that ½ the good tech was probably dated to begin with, and that we should start over.

So, let’s get to it already. Let’s build some tech bibles…

This thread....is intended to build a list of topics for those threads. Post your ideas for a topic(s) and which forum it falls under here. We’ll add them to list in this first post and remove your post.

I’m not talking about fitting 35s BS, real shit, the kind of tech and detail that drew you to the old site. There was a shitload of tech there and on other lost forums, it all came from our heads. Let’s get that shit documented and updated before we get senile and forget it. These particular threads will be heavily moderated to keep topics on point and general chit-chat out if them.

Same for this topic, general chit-chat will be removed.

The vote…. Is to decide how many new, tech heavy, topics we could/should fire up each week. We want to allow plenty of time for thought, data and reference collection. We don’t want to dilute members time with too many. We’ll start X amount until we can knock out this list out. It by no means the topics will be closed the following week, we're just aiming for solid jumpstarts on the topics....

If you want to be alerted when a topic starts or think somebody should be in on a topic you can post that as well.

Topics by Forum:
  • Chevy / GMC / Hummer
  • Dodge
  • Ford
  • International Harvester
  • Isuzu
  • Jeep
  • Land Rover
  • Mercedes
  • Mitsubishi
  • Nissan
  • Suzuki
  • Toyota
  • General Tech
    • Wheels
    • Coilovers
    • Spring Selection
    • Metal Properties and usage
    • Carrier bearings
    • Engine/transmission mounts
    • Link suspension (needs to be broke down)
    • Bump stop and limit straps
    • Venting tech
    • Batteries
  • Racing Rigs
  • General 4x4
  • Newb 4x4
  • Other Builds
  • Shop and Tools
  • SxS
  • Tow Rigs and Trailers
  • Wiring & Electrical

Great idea
I feel that letting one topic at at time fill up, get all input, manifest itself would work also (say 1 month?)

It's not like we are goin anywhere...
So I voted 1 a week.

​​​​

I just went over to pbb last night to find the Toyota bible. Looking for the fuel injection swap info. That bible was tits

respect.gif

yes grand poobah!

i gotta grab some more pics and i can make a 1st gen 4runner tailgate troubleshoot thread

What I'd really love to see is some RV/travel trailer tech. I'm not sure if that would be better suited to a subforum than a bible though.

Sheit, actually Java's F450 build thread is pretty much already just that, the bible on how RV stuff works.

WHEELS!

FREAKIN WHEELS!!

And more specific suspension components.

I know we all already know everything we need to know about this stuff:flipoff2:

But sometime we need to know more.

That is all.

Don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but the last time I searched here it seemed like the only way to move a thread over here would be to do it all 100% manually - copy/paste all text and image links post by post. Obviously if you have a thread that is 20 or 30 pages, that's not really doable. I feel like I saw somewhere that there might be a solution in the works that would make it more feasible - anything new there? I have a couple build threads I'd be stoked to move over here, and I'm sure others would jump on that opportunity as well...

With the whole photobucket fiasco, I printed each page of a few build threads to PDF so that when I eventually quit paying for photobucket and my threads become useless, I've got a copy. If there was a way to upload PDF files to posts here, that might be a viable solution to retaining old content? I just tried to upload 1 page, but the PDF was 18mb so too large... I'll have to look and see if I can make that file size small enough to be able to upload here:homer:

would be nice to have some way to copy a thread that is multiple pages long. Printing 30 pages to pdf is cumbersome.

Hey fellows. Long time lurker.

How can I fit 35s on my stock Subaru and what are the most environentally friendly 35s in both dirt destruction and production?

I voted one so full deep dive could be accomplished.

I'd love to see a shock tech bible especially for coilovers and picking correct springs.

Don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but the last time I searched here it seemed like the only way to move a thread over here would be to do it all 100% manually - copy/paste all text and image links post by post. Obviously if you have a thread that is 20 or 30 pages, that's not really doable. I feel like I saw somewhere that there might be a solution in the works that would make it more feasible - anything new there? I have a couple build threads I'd be stoked to move over here, and I'm sure others would jump on that opportunity as well...

With the whole photobucket fiasco, I printed each page of a few build threads to PDF so that when I eventually quit paying for photobucket and my threads become useless, I've got a copy. If there was a way to upload PDF files to posts here, that might be a viable solution to retaining old content? I just tried to upload 1 page, but the PDF was 18mb so too large... I'll have to look and see if I can make that file size small enough to be able to upload here:homer:

I have no solution that will make it easier for you to bring threads over. But I will say that many of us will appreciate you taking the time to do it. I moved my build thread over here. It was close to 40 pages of copy/past and it took many hours. I'm glad I did it though.

I voted for two tech topics to run at a time.

I think a good fit might be a general tips and tricks section. There are tons of this kinda thing that will work on any rig, house, boat, RV etc. If you go with something like that just don't call it "hacks" I hate that with a passion.

I have no solution that will make it easier for you to bring threads over. But I will say that many of us will appreciate you taking the time to do it. I moved my build thread over here. It was close to 40 pages of copy/past and it took many hours. I'm glad I did it though.

I've got a thread in the Toyota section that is 49 pages long, and every single photo in there is a photobucket link. I can tell you right now that's not going to happen, unfortunately. Printing a full page to PDF literally only takes a few seconds, so it's actually pretty effortless in comparison. Just need to figure out how to make the file size/type postable, or host it somewhere with a link.

Seems like a decent place to bring this up...

Austin have you or anyone from your team reached out to billivista. You were talking about rewarding tech heavy posters with advertising revenue.... well he is and has always been one of the greatest sources of tech out there and I believe he pulled most of his stuff from that other place.

Voted for 2.

I think general tech will generate a lot of traffic.
"I just bought xyz, let's work on it." Type of thing.
Helpful info for the everyday joe. There always seems to be a couple threads in chit shat about it.

I just went over to pbb last night to find the Toyota bible. Looking for the fuel injection swap info. That bible was tits
One thread for all the yota tech?

I feel like I saw somewhere that there might be a solution in the works that would make it more feasible - anything new there? I have a couple build threads I'd be stoked to move over here, and I'm sure others would jump on that opportunity as well...
There was, we talked about this at the beginning. Essentially I'd have to get you a legal doc for you to sign giving me permission to rip your posts and repost them here. There was still a possibility VS might try something and they have the $$ to fight longer than I (or we) would. So we decided to start fresh. This is why people are copy/paste'n their own build threads here.

I've got a thread in the Toyota section that is 49 pages long, and every single photo in there is a photobucket link. I can tell you right now that's not going to happen, unfortunately. Printing a full page to PDF literally only takes a few seconds, so it's actually pretty effortless in comparison. Just need to figure out how to make the file size/type postable, or host it somewhere with a link.

I'm sure I can find a way to rip that PDF for you to repost YOUR own posts.

Seems like a decent place to bring this up...

Austin have you or anyone from your team reached out to billivista. You were talking about rewarding tech heavy posters with advertising revenue.... well he is and has always been one of the greatest sources of tech out there and I believe he pulled most of his stuff from that other place.

Yes I have, before we even launched IBB. He's a hard man to get ahold of. Given his hate for PBB, he loved what was about to happen. He's into some cool shit at work that is keeping him very busy and didn't have the time for updating or creating new articles. He said he'd check in at a later time. Given that IBB has taken off, I may reach back out and see if he minds us using his stuff as a base.... or me setting him up with a blue star account now and letting it run until he returns. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about building a bible and making it a sticky in the subforums? Or a new thread every week that is packed full of tech in a subforum and then move onto the next subject with a new thread in a subforum?

I vote for some trailer brake tech after reading the BDL thread. :laughing:

Can you do a sub forum for the toyota tech? The old bible was great and it was in somewhat of alphabetical order, but scrolling through it was kinda lame. Is there a better way to break it up into sections like axle specs and info (front/rear), engine specs and mods (22re, 2/3rz, 3.0, 3.4 etc), swap info, and so on. That way it's easier than scrolling through one big bible each time

Can you do a sub forum for the toyota tech? The old bible was great and it was in somewhat of alphabetical order, but scrolling through it was kinda lame. Is there a better way to break it up into sections like axle specs and info (front/rear), engine specs and mods (22re, 2/3rz, 3.0, 3.4 etc), swap info, and so on. That way it's easier than scrolling through one big bible each time

How about a thread about each thing in the toy forum? Swaps, axle, 22re, ec.

Are you talking about building a bible and making it a sticky in the subforums? Or a new thread every week that is packed full of tech in a subforum and then move onto the next subject with a new thread in a subforum?

Good questions, now is the time for us all to decide.

My $.02 ...

when I think Bible, I think D60. 1 bible on one subject.

I was never in the Toy thread so I never went through the Toyota bible. I know with how I look and search forums, if I seen a thread with 40 pages (aside form a dedicated build) I would do my search over because in my mind my answer had to have a more direct answer somewhere. So to me, breaking things down makes more sense.

AMC 304,360,390. D300, T18, D30, Rubicon 44, etc in Jeep world. We could make a dedicated subforum for 'bibles' in the forums it makes sense. Or just name the title 'Dana 300 Bible'.

I'm open to either :beer:

I think each bible should be a thread in a sub that makes sense

Those threads should get curated so that all the good tech gets quoted into the 1st post

And then those threads get a link into a sticky for that sub

Gen4x4
-Tech bibles
--kingpin60 bible
--superduty 60 bible
--dana 300 bible

Doing it this way relies pretty heavy on the mods and admins to keep everything up to date tho

Honestly yotatech has their forums pretty well segmented. Of course, that site isn't going to be the same as this one with Dana swaps and such but still......I like the organization

Good questions, now is the time for us all to decide.

My $.02 ...

when I think Bible, I think D60. 1 bible on one subject.

I was never in the Toy thread so I never went through the Toyota bible. I know with how I look and search forums, if I seen a thread with 40 pages (aside form a dedicated build) I would do my search over because in my mind my answer had to have a more direct answer somewhere. So to me, breaking things down makes more sense.

AMC 304,360,390. D300, T18, D30, Rubicon 44, etc in Jeep world. We could make a dedicated subforum for 'bibles' in the forums it makes sense. Or just name the title 'Dana 300 Bible'.

I'm open to either :beer:

I know you dont want to make so many subforums that they end up being so spread out and overly specific that it limits traffic, but if you dont segment it a little bit more now, moving threads around in the future seems like an endless task.

I would recommend maybe adding a squarebody subforum, maybe combine the gmt800/900 stuff and have an "all other chevy". Maybe I am way off target here, but when I wanna look up fullsize blazer something, the threads kinda get lost in all the GMT400/800/900 and other stuff.

However in the shop and tools section, I would definitely sub forum something for shop builds. They seem to get lost in everything, I cannot remember if the dark place had a subforum or a sticky.

Back to the issue at hand, Are the bibles going to be living documents or sealed after initial compilation? Will there be someone to administer and curate the tech in them?

Can we have the bible accessible in a sticky that links to a document or page that is not a thread? IIRC the D60 bible was like that before it got yanked.

For example, click on chevy forum, click on sticky at the top, sticky has links to the D60, 205, SBC, BBC, etc Bible.

Here's another idea I've got that is not necessarily a bible type thing, but similar. For example, I just picked up an SA200 Lincoln, have a thread where the first 10 posts are reserved for bible-like tech, and its still a thread where people can ask questions, with all the bible type tech front and center. Because the SA200 is not something everyone needs a bible on here, but I'm sure there are others that would appreciate the tech resource (without digging through a thread). Something that has the first page full of information and keeps the chit chat stuff on the second and third and so on.

If this doesn't make any sense, I took a good does of Nyquil before logging in. :laughing:

Have you considered some sort of tech post incentive/reward?

Awesome build thread - have a sticker.
Build a great tech thread - send a t-shirt.
Troll GCC - free sunroof stuffings

A few things - there are a lot of 'tech in chit-chat threads' going on. I'd advise against that, much of that information is likely valuable to people in the various subforums. Maybe it won't get as much traffic, so put a link in chit-chat and say 'hey if you know about this, go post here'. Seems like a waste to have that info go un-sorted in this mess here.

If you'd think it'd help, I'd post a 'build summary' of mine here...my problem is that the build is pretty much done and I'm just out wheeling now, so the tech contributions are minimal. I know a lot about a bunch of weird shit but to quantify that into one particular 'bible' thread is difficult. Even just 'TTB' in general...I threw away decades of old Ford tech because newer alternatives were available, but the guy trying to build up his Explorer or Bronco II is not gonna do what I did. Building an aftermarket EFI system from scratch to integrate a bunch of stuff that was never meant to be put together? Sure, I'll get on that. I'm not good at doing the same thing everyone else does :)

Willing to help where I can though, suspension geometry and shock tuning two large areas I can comment on, can't say I'm any real expert on it but I've worked with some of the best out there on a wide variety of stuff, and got mine mostly right out of the box.

I don't know what a feasible amount of threads would be but I'd say throw 1-2 out there and I'll contribute where I can.

Hey fellows. Long time lurker.

How can I fit 35s on my stock Subaru and what are the most environentally friendly 35s in both dirt destruction and production?

Only valid for the GC8 series. Otherwise, you're a noob.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh