What's new

Engine hoists from Amazon

Austin

Blame Canada
Member Number
Loc
St.Louis, MO
I returned a monitor and have Amazon credit, also have a new engine on the way. Are all of these hoists just the same rebranded hoist? Many have similar specs and look identical but vary in price. They look just like anything at Northerntool as well. Anybody ordered one from Amazon?

I’d love one where the ram extends with up and down stroke of the handle.

this one has a engine leveler with it and I can’t tell the difference from the ones that don’t.

I returned a monitor and have Amazon credit, also have a new engine on the way. Are all of these hoists just the same rebranded hoist? Many have similar specs and look identical but vary in price. They look just like anything at Northerntool as well. Anybody ordered one from Amazon?

I’d love one where the ram extends with up and down stroke of the handle.

this one has a engine leveler with it and I can’t tell the difference from the ones that don’t.

For half the price you can just drag your ass to Harbor Freight and get the same hoist and leveler.

Ive had the same basic lift for nearly 20 years. Nothing wrong with them. The or cyl lasted 13-14 years then i put the hf air over cyl on it. Love all of it.

I cant tell you how many times ive lifted the front/rear of trucks to swap axles.

The only other thing i did was replace the steer/rear wheels with big ass metal ones from tsc and built outer plates to keep the hieght right.

Wasn't me but another vote for the AoH ram (w/ big release knob) for a one man show. Then it becomes handy enough to use for shit you wouldn't normally use it for.

unless youre gonna use it often an air hydro cyl is a waste of money, it takes 2 minutes to pump it by hand and most people use an engine hoist maybe a few times a year

i put the air hydro cyl on the 20t press as it gets used more often and holding awkward parts in it while pumping is a pita

unless youre gonna use it often an air hydro cyl is a waste of money, it takes 2 minutes to pump it by hand and most people use an engine hoist maybe a few times a year

i put the air hydro cyl on the 20t press as it gets used more often and holding awkward parts in it while pumping is a pita

I rarely use my engine hoist to hoist an engine. I use it to lift everything's else in the shop. Yes, it is definitely worth it. It still has a manual pump on it of you're into that sorta thing. :flipoff2:

I rarely use my engine hoist to hoist an engine. I use it to lift everything's else in the shop. Yes, it is definitely worth it. It still has a manual pump on it of you're into that sorta thing. :flipoff2:

its worth it to you but my point was most people with an engine hoist barely use it so no its not worth it, if someone like you is always using it to lift crap then yes its worth it. youre not most people though :homer: :flipoff2:

I rarely use my engine hoist to hoist an engine. I use it to lift everything's else in the shop. Yes, it is definitely worth it.

So do I. Still not worth it. If your ram breaks for some reason, sure. Not worth the money initially unless you're on the internet where other people's money doesn't matter. :shaking:

Edit: If you're 300lb and smoke a pack a day it's probably worth it.

Pipe kinker and press are both much more deserving of the air ram than the engine hoist.

So do I. Still not worth it. If your ram breaks for some reason, sure. Not worth the money initially unless you're on the internet where other people's money doesn't matter. :shaking:

Edit: If you're 300lb and smoke a pack a day it's probably worth it.

Pipe kinker and press are both much more deserving of the air ram than the engine hoist.

Probably. I am a skinny fuck (6'5" 175 lbs) and don't smoke, but I still got an air over hydraulic ram. :flipoff2:

Yes, my original manual ram went bad, so the upgrade was a logical choice and I am glad I did.

I snagged a "Torin Big Red 2Ton" hoist off Amazon a couple years back for a deal, and yeah all these China made hoists are pretty much the same as a Harbor Freight unit with different paint. Get one with good reviews and you'll be fine.

And I also use it to do everything except lift an engine.

Top Back Refresh