What's new

Electricians, need advice please

makemeknowit

Kwisatz Haderach
Member Number
Loc
Memphis, TN
Sunroom is being recommissioned to pool room status. There is currently a ceiling fan/light dead center of the room, ceiling is 136" high. I want to hang a pool table light but keep the ceiling fan/light in place. I'm going to drop the chains outside the bounds of the fan blades so the table light can be hung at the proper height. Seems most pool table lights don't come switched, pretty much a cord you plug in. The ceiling fan/light have separate switches on the wall to operate each without having to mess with the chains that control each. I'd rather avoid running a cord across the ceiling and down the wall to a receptacle. There are 3 bulbs in the fan, 60W LED's. Can I somehow tap into the fan wiring to power the table light? I'm likely going to have to make my own light since I can't find one with the proper chain hanging spacing to clear the outside of the fan blades. Am I s.o.l. or can I rob power from the fan especially if I also use LED for the table light? I know exactly zero about fucking with electricity/wiring.....outside of respecting the hell out of it so I keep drawing breath.

I actually am an electrician too... :flipoff2:

s-l1000.jpg

No reason not to, the fan wires are probably overkill for running it plus a couple LEDs that only draw an amp.

Assuming you are wanting the pool table light to come on when you turn on the main light switch for the ceiling fan/light?

Just tie into the power up above the ceiling fixture, usually twist nuts up there. Then run wire down one of the chains. As stated, the circuit should be able to handle the extra lighting.

Could even hide a switch on the pool table fixture to turn it off when you have the ceiling light on.

If the current fan junction box is recessed, add an extension box, run lamp cord from fixture up the chain to box, and tie in to existing wiring. Mount fan to extension box.

I think most pool table lights come with a switch already? If not, would be easy to add one like stated above so it’s not on if you only want the fan light on.

Assuming you are wanting the pool table light to come on when you turn on the main light switch for the ceiling fan/light?

Yes

Just tie into the power up above the ceiling fixture, usually twist nuts up there. Then run wire down one of the chains. As stated, the circuit should be able to handle the extra lighting.

Could even hide a switch on the pool table fixture to turn it off when you have the ceiling light on.

Perfect idea, thanks.

Get one of these for the fan https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Progr...VYiCtBh20iQiPEAQYBCABEgI-JvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds you wire nut constant power through instead of using the existing wall switch, the remote will now let you use the ceiling fan/lights separate using only one of the old switch legs to power up the receiver. Tap into the 2nd switch leg and install a ceiling receptacle and plug your light into that, you can now use the 2nd light switch to control your pool light. Easy peasy

If the current fan junction box is recessed, add an extension box, run lamp cord from fixture up the chain to box, and tie in to existing wiring. Mount fan to extension box.

I think most pool table lights come with a switch already? If not, would be easy to add one like stated above so it’s not on if you only want the fan light on.

This is the route I would go.

Yes.

We all have this in our heads how to do it whatever he decides.
Why don’t one of ya sorry basteds draw him a wiring diagram how it is wired now and how it can be changed to work.

On my phone so no dice from me:flipoff2:

Top Back Refresh