What's new

Electric trailer Brakes - parking brake?

Java230

???
Member Number
Ok maybe dumb.....but it seems that you could easily rig a switch to the trailer brakes to lock the trailer in place.

Google says about 3amps per magnet. So 12 ish amps? Seems like a lot, but maybe add resistor or similar to drop the voltage. May only require 10v to hold it if not moving etc?

Dumb?

Dexter make brakes with an automotive style E brake in them.

You would need a pretty big battery to keep the electric ones working.

Dexter make brakes with an automotive style E brake in them.

You would need a pretty big battery to keep the electric ones working.
Yeah I did the math but more.....really big battery! I was thinking anti theft.

Ok it was a dumb idea. :lmao:

Not really, My little utility trailer had a truck axle under it originally. Had surge brake hooked to the stock drums. I had a E-brake handle mounted under the front. Was super handy. I have since replaced it with a regular trailer axle that is wider. I am going to replace the brakes with parking brake equipped units. I miss being able to set the brake and not worry about the thing moving around on a hill.

Not really, My little utility trailer had a truck axle under it originally. Had surge brake hooked to the stock drums. I had a E-brake handle mounted under the front. Was super handy. I have since replaced it with a regular trailer axle that is wider. I am going to replace the brakes with parking brake equipped units. I miss being able to set the brake and not worry about the thing moving around on a hill.
Yes I don't really trust chocks when a dump trailer is full ish

Ebrake in the short term, just pull the pin out of the disconnect safety. That'll lock the brakes up for as long as that little battery lasts.

Ebrake in the short term, just pull the pin out of the disconnect safety. That'll lock the brakes up for as long as that little battery lasts.
Which is nearly nothing.

New trailer came without charge wires Connected :hot: I have a project for next week.

And running lights don't work. Fooking second hand trucks.

Just chain the wheel(s) if you're worried about it.
Tiny ass holes in the wheels..... Chain wouldn't fit.

I unbolted the coupler for last night. It's just in a spot that is way to easy to pull up and take off woth it.

I've done this on accident on my camper without realizing it, and drained 2 golf cart batteries overnight. Definitely not a long term solution.

Pete

I've done this on accident on my camper without realizing it, and drained 2 golf cart batteries overnight. Definitely not a long term solution.

Pete
Yeah once I thought about it.... Stupid idea! Lol if it were surge brakes a line lock might work.

i dont just use them on my camper, they are nice to use on all trailers.

81lx--dYgtL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Top Back Refresh