What's new

Electric Corded Demo Saws - Experience?

No,
The cured cement , when ground up and
Mixed with water will cause severe chemical burns.
I got the scars to prove it .
huh interesting, wonder what the saw does to it that makes it that bad
I've been having wet cement on my hads for hours last few days and well, while they need a good oiling afterwords (clean engine oil seems to do very well at preventing them from cracking, been using it as form oil so it's even convenient) it doesn't do anything all that terrible

huh interesting, wonder what the saw does to it that makes it that bad
I've been having wet cement on my hads for hours last few days and well, while they need a good oiling afterwords (clean engine oil seems to do very well at preventing them from cracking, been using it as form oil so it's even convenient) it doesn't do anything all that terrible
A little here and there will dry them out but probably won't do long term damage. I've worked with old school concrete finishers that have been doing it their whole lives and just about every one's hands looked like a catchers mitt. Nasty shit in the long term.

Well, figure I better follow up. Those that said rent the walk behind, thank you. Seriously, worst part was my driveway is wavy in spots so the blade wanted to pinch / depth was inconsistent. If I tried that with a handheld or god forbid shitty electric I would have hated my life. Instead, was done cutting in 3-4hrs, with time in there dicking around making sure the cuts were actually deep enough before I returned the saw.

Captions, if the order follows what ImgBB is showing me.

Lines laid out. First load of concrete + the saw. Did the chalk line with clear spraypaint, worked great. Used one of those wax? marking pencils on the other area, that worked great too.
smartcapture.jpg

First cuts. Edge of the driveway was failing, planning on making a new edge for this area with a scrap board for the mold & concrete.
smartcapture.jpg

Some cuts done & testing they're deep enough
smartcapture.jpg

More cuts/tests. Shit drain pipe shows where my gutter was being extended. Either it comes across the driveway, or floods the frontyard, nowhere else to go. Its what drove this whole project.
smartcapture.jpg

Second cut site. Driveway runs downhill, water runs along the edge and is washing it out. No way to drain it anywhere else due to property layout, have to get it across the driveway to go downhill. Just need to figure out the "inlet" design for now, will extend the exit sometime in the future. Left the inlet side long for flexibility for now
smartcapture.jpg
smartcapture.jpg
smartcapture.jpg
smartcapture.jpg
mde.jpg

Shit asphalt. Either the driveway was originally 2", started to fail, and they topped it with another 2", OR they did it in 2 pours that didn't join for shit. Layers are distinctly different and have zero bond to each other. NONE
mde.jpg

final overall of the "L" shape cuts, all across the front of the garage. Digging for the trench drain & concrete tomorrow
mde.jpg

Looks good

my driveway is the same , except worse.
Asphalt that was I assume installed in 72 when the house was built , two layers that don’t stick , with plenty of crumbles and settling.

catch basin on the high side of the pipe.
done
something like this 6” drain pit is probably a better match for the drain pipe size;
4A581A18-E1D2-4255-8F00-E034DEA928BA.jpeg

It's possible this driveway is original from 1950's but I doubt it, I think it was re-poured at least once in the past. It MAY have been concrete originally. That, or they poured concrete pads at the entry of the garage for some different reason. I'll never know, but i sure am not impressed with the 2 non-bonded layers

^^^ II think something similar to the atrium, with a little bit of concrete forming will be the ticket, maybe with a 90* bend on the end to point the intake uphill. The pipe is only 3" thick PVC and 3-4" below grade, so not deep enough for a typical catch basin. I'd have to dig down another 12+" for 20-30ft, in rocky chunky soil for a traditional catch basin and pipe routing, screw that:homer:

Basically the water runs down along the edge of the driveway today and washes out the dirt, especially where the driveway bends uphill to disrupt the water flow. i made a hole to catch it, and now i need a better way to get the hole water to run into the pipe. Figuring the plan will be a shallow trench up along the edge of the driveway 10-20ft and backfill with gravel vs dirt. That trench will run into the inlet of the pipe, with final inlet "catch" design TBD.

Finishing the actual trench drains at the garage is priority, with any luck I'll get that done today.

Looks like I never came back with a finished shot. Ignore the metal grate in front of one door, for some reason the PO of the house chipped away the driveway entry and put that there. leaves and shit just sit there, I'll be redoing that section with concrete in the spring.

Drain exits at the top left, goes under the parking pad, and exits on the backside of the pad. Runs downhill from there. It's worked better than I could have hoped, the area to the right of the pad was getting washed out horribly every rainstorm as well as flooding the yard downhill to the right of the far side of the garage.

Trench Drain Finished.jpg

Save the metal grating for your next headache rack or brush guard. That shit does a real good job stopping errant tow straps and making 1" venison cubes.

Top Back Refresh