What's new

Econoline Drip rail repair

YJLOPES

Red Skull Member
Member Number
I have this 95 E250 that was my LAX crash pad for 11 years. I'm moving to a new base and I'd like to take this so I have wheels and a place to take a nap if I end up stuck for a night. It only has 170K and runs great and is overall pretty sound, but 11 years sitting under the LAX approach path and being covered with jet exhaust has rotted the drip rail in a few places. Is there a clean way to patch these drip rails? I suspect I just need to cut to clean metal and then add back metal shaped like a drip rail, but I'm not sure this old beater is worth it. I think I may be trying to convince myself to just leave it...

Maybe it doesn't matter. Anyone fixed this before? Do I want to fight this or ignore it?
IMG_5113.jpeg
IMG_5595.jpeg
IMG_5596.jpeg
IMG_5597.jpeg
IMG_5598.jpeg

Do you need to live near the airport in a van, or did you just like the LAX strip clubs?

I'd say it is worth cutting out and putting in new metal, or cut it out and reshape with some...of the....metal epoxy filler stuff. 2 part putty. Not bondo, but like bondo.

However, bondo would work as well.

No point in making it too nice, but the rust will eventually stain everything below it

Do you need to live near the airport in a van, or did you just like the LAX strip clubs?
Yes
If it’s not rusted through, I would grind it down and paint it.
Probably need to do more investigation to see how bad it really is. Up till now I don't think I really wanted to know.
I'd say it is worth cutting out and putting in new metal, or cut it out and reshape with some...of the....metal epoxy filler stuff. 2 part putty. Not bondo, but like bondo.

However, bondo would work as well.

No point in making it too nice, but the rust will eventually stain everything below it
I'll probably do some digging to see how bad it is. Not sure about the putty you're referring to though.

Top Back Refresh