What's new

eBay or other used part sources

SKULLYOTA

NOOB
Member Number
I don’t know about anyone else, going to the local junkyard for 4x4 build parts or spares feels like a thing of the past. However I’ve been scoring on getting stuff on eBay. Bought a buncha Geo parts to convert my samurai to power steering, lots of good used aftermarket/race stuff, even found open box exhaust stuff for cheap. Prices way better than I expected, but I’m always looking for cheaper.

Anywhere else I should be looking other than eBay? Local CL and FB are generally a waste of time. Anyone have luck online ordering from larger/chain salvage yards?

I bought my trans from Stricker Auto. They also list parts on Ebay. Was happy with the deal.

I've also bought a lot of NASCAR take off parts on Ebay from various sellers who go to the auctions. Some smoking deals on very expensive parts.

I generally use car-part.com autowrecking.com lkq online and whatever other yards are local with a online catalog.

I end up finding what I want and going fuck that I'm not paying that and continue hunting on eBay/fb/cl.

That's probably why I never get anything done:laughing:

I always check eBay or Amazon warehouse deals. I got a open box muffler for about 20$ on Amazon and 50$ header on eBay recently. Gonna have to look into Stricker Auto. I have sent inquiries to other junk yard websites but don’t often hear back.

I always check eBay or Amazon warehouse deals. I got a open box muffler for about 20$ on Amazon and 50$ header on eBay recently. Gonna have to look into Stricker Auto. I have sent inquiries to other junk yard websites but don’t often hear back.
I buy all my mufflers that way. :laughing:

I am shocked to hear that, I stopped selling all my crap on eBay, the fees just got way to high for me to want to tolerate it.

I am shocked to hear that, I stopped selling all my crap on eBay, the fees just got way to high for me to want to tolerate it.
Me too. Not to mention all the parts I've searched there recently are way too expensive for used and have exorbitant shipping costs.

Me too. Not to mention all the parts I've searched there recently are way too expensive for used and have exorbitant shipping costs.
I shipped some Warn Dana 44 hubs, from CA to WA, eBay quoted me $40, I said no way, I don't want to screw someone, I said pay me $30 and I will figure out it. He only wanted them shipped UPS, and sure enough, I UPS wanted $48.
Lesson learned, let people get screwed.

I shipped some Warn Dana 44 hubs, from CA to WA, eBay quoted me $40, I said no way, I don't want to screw someone, I said pay me $30 and I will figure out it. He only wanted them shipped UPS, and sure enough, I UPS wanted $48.
Lesson learned, let people get screwed.
Well, with fuel prices being what they are...makes sense that shipping is sky high. Bigger problem is the $600 private sale limit imposed by the administration on the sale of used items. We are triple, quadruple (or more) taxed on things today. Funny we fought a war over taxes on stamps and tea, lol.

Part of the problem with shipping is that UPS and FedEx just don't want to deal with the individual customer. If your company has an account, you typically get much much cheaper shipping cost. I'm sure the retail customer is more of a pain, but I just want to print a label online and drop it in a box outside the distribution center.

Part of the problem with shipping is that UPS and FedEx just don't want to deal with the individual customer. If your company has an account, you typically get much much cheaper shipping cost. I'm sure the retail customer is more of a pain, but I just want to print a label online and drop it in a box outside the distribution center.
100% true. And don't EVER go to a UPS Store vs. the UPS hub. Shipping is easily 2-3X more.

All I can say is that I’ve been finding some good deals on cheap shitbox Suzuki parts :lmao:

I guess everyone with nicer rigs is paying a premium lol

I need a good online junkyard. I never hear back when I send inquiries thru car-part.com

All I can say is that I’ve been finding some good deals on cheap shitbox Suzuki parts :lmao:

I guess everyone with nicer rigs is paying a premium lol

I need a good online junkyard. I never hear back when I send inquiries thru car-part.com
I've had decent luck with car-part.com, but I'll just call them directly once I find the yard that has what I need.

I got my first counterfeit parts off of amazon. I bought a timken unit bearing and got a chinken instead. Lasted less than an oil change. I didn't realize it was a fake until I read up on bearing reviews and got the replacement side by side.

pirateship.com make a username/password, add your CC info, done. it searches USPS, UPS and fedex. ups ends up being the best deal for me, typically about half the price of quoting on ups website. I print the label at home and drop it on the counter at ups no standing in line.

I also can't believe it's possible to find any deals on eBay anymore. Seller fees are insane.

It's hard to flush out the scammers on eBay and eBay generally makes the claims process difficult when you mistakenly buy from one, too. ebay customer service also just sucks.

I've had decent luck with car-part.com, but I'll just call them directly once I find the yard that has what I need.
Have you ever tried negotiating price with the yard directly or is the price listed pretty much what you're gonna pay?

I also can't believe it's possible to find any deals on eBay anymore. Seller fees are insane.

It's hard to flush out the scammers on eBay and eBay generally makes the claims process difficult when you mistakenly buy from one, too. ebay customer service also just sucks.
My experience as well...that, and many times when I do break down and buy from eBay, my CC info gets stolen. Super frustrating.

pirateship.com make a username/password, add your CC info, done. it searches USPS, UPS and fedex. ups ends up being the best deal for me, typically about half the price of quoting on ups website. I print the label at home and drop it on the counter at ups no standing in line.
PayPal has the same prices for USPS or UPS if you get your labels through them.
My experience as well...that, and many times when I do break down and buy from eBay, my CC info gets stolen. Super frustrating.
Odd, knock on wood I haven't had any issues with that with eBay.

Aaron Z

Have you ever tried negotiating price with the yard directly or is the price listed pretty much what you're gonna pay?
I always call the yard and ask their price. Sometimes I'll get lucky and it's lower than the website. When it's higher I tell them what the website says and they always match it.

The fuck are you talking about? The seller never sees your CC number.

The fuck are you talking about? The seller never sees your CC number.
It's getting stolen through eBay's site....never thought it was the seller as I've usually gotten the product I purchased.

My experience is the yards that have their shit together enough to list inventory on Car-Part are primarily selling to repair and body shops and don’t care about me or my cash offer. The parts are clean and they load it in the truck with a forklift for me.

If you want to haggle, you need to go to the sketchier yards, and probably speak Spanish.

This is my experience in San Jose/Moss Landing, YMMV.

If you want to haggle, you need to go to the sketchier yards, and probably speak Spanish.

This is my experience in San Jose/Moss Landing, YMMV.
Details on sketchy yards in San Jose / Moss Landing, I love cheap shit :flipoff2:

Details on sketchy yards in San Jose / Moss Landing, I love cheap shit :flipoff2:
It's been a while, to be honest. After buying my JK, I don't find myself at junk yards anymore, which makes me sad. I need another shitbox.

All the skechy places have been cleaned up in Moss Landing, only Pick N Pull is left.

San Jose, a block or so east of Monterey Highway. If you look on Google Maps, you see things that look like junkyards, but don't show up in a google search.

1709740576792.png

Local yards have moved on. The stuff I want typically is gone or the just crush. There was a time I'd just go pick up Toyota driveshafts already unbolted, now I watch eBay for parts.

Local yards have moved on. The stuff I want typically is gone or the just crush. There was a time I'd just go pick up Toyota driveshafts already unbolted, now I watch eBay for parts.
I talked to a decent sided local yard about this once. I need an obscure pigtail for a t-case harness off of a super duty. He said that real estate is so expensive, it's not worth it to keep whole vehicles. They'll get a vehicle in, strip off the big things they know they can sell (engine, trans, axles, any clean body panels and seats, stuff like that), and sell the rest of it for scrap. Common high value late model cars they'll keep a little longer. This is in California where real estate is absurd. Probably largely depends on location.

I talked to a decent sided local yard about this once. I need an obscure pigtail for a t-case harness off of a super duty. He said that real estate is so expensive, it's not worth it to keep whole vehicles. They'll get a vehicle in, strip off the big things they know they can sell (engine, trans, axles, any clean body panels and seats, stuff like that), and sell the rest of it for scrap. Common high value late model cars they'll keep a little longer. This is in California where real estate is absurd. Probably largely depends on location.
I got some info second / third hand the other day that California is also phasing out or no longer permitting (maybe?) new junkyards. Dismantler only going forward.

Which kinda makes sense and is inline with the issue you’re talking about

Top Back Refresh