What's new

Eaton trans tech: throwout bearing or trans?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Putting this here because big truck tech.

Does this look to be from the throwout bearig, or from the front plate/bearing on the input shaft on the transmission? Almost looks like a sleeve?

Thanks.

photo24964.jpg

Looks like the throw out has been over greased and pushed the seal spreading it's messy love all over the place like john holmes on a Friday night.

Overgreasing it pushes the seal out? The heck? I thought it just throws the extra grease around. This is a new (9 month) original eaton clutch.

Ill be more careful I guess. I was late to grease it and overcompensated, expected to see grease come out from somewhere if it was too much, but it took it all, so I called it a day.

Thanks for the feedback!

Looks to be a bushing. I don't remember anything like it on the trans side. Could be part of the release bearing or remnants of an old clutch brake?

Looks to be a bushing. I don't remember anything like it on the trans side. Could be part of the release bearing or remnants of an old clutch brake?

No clutch brake on this clutch, it is a synchrod trans.

​​​​​Guess Ill keep greasing and using the thing until theres a noticable issue with it.

It's the bushing out of the release bearing, could be from old clutch. It got shoved back into the input shaft seal that's why there's oil leaking seen that happen before.

It's the bushing out of the release bearing, could be from old clutch. It got shoved back into the input shaft seal that's why there's oil leaking seen that happen before.

Interesting. Clutch was changed about 10 months ago, due to the bellhousing breaking and jamming the clutch fork. I greased this sucker about 5 weeks ago and didnt notice this. There was some rattling coming at 2000rpm so I thought the bearing might be dry.

I will try to remove the bushing.

ill second this

Interesting. Clutch was changed about 10 months ago, due to the bellhousing breaking and jamming the clutch fork. I greased this sucker about 5 weeks ago and didnt notice this. There was some rattling coming at 2000rpm so I thought the bearing might be dry.

I will try to remove the bushing.

Grease it during a service

you can over grease everything

your bearing could be blown up and thats your rattle.

yea i know its new but had that happen a few years back. outsourced a transmission replacement (eaton 6spd) got a new clutch. Like 6 months later the throw out bearing shit the bed. I think they jammed the trans in crooked and fucked up the throw out. Found from a driver reporting a rattling sound coming from under the truck sound like a tap on a pop can. Looked up saw a fuckton of grease everywhere and the bearing partially seperated from the throw out.

Top Back Refresh