What's new

Earthen greenhouse build

Thefishguy77

Part time dumbass
Member Number
Loc
U.S.S.A. (Washington St.)
So in fucking around with my
wood pile I decided it would be the best place I could build an earthen greenhouse. Earth walls will be roughly 3-4’ with dirt on big rock slab floors.

Beside the location nothing is set in stone.

I have read he roof angle is roughly your latitude plus 20 degrees. That would put me at 66 degrees. 2x6 walls too ensure good insulation We are at or bellow freezing here for 2-3 months. The multi wall polycarb roofing seems like a good option as it will be easily removable in the summer. Thinking a small solar kit to run a few fans for temperature regulation as well as in winter the ability to extend my “daylight” with some led lights. The boat and backhoe batteries would be my first batteries to use, 3 overall. Besides keeping them warm it may allow me to run enough extra light to keep veggies growing in winter We have some dwarf citrus trees and a dwarf olive tree that we would like to keep in there. If I can keep it warm enough I will toss coffee plants in there as well. I am thinking a foot print of 10x15 with a 1’ overhang up front and 6’ on the other 3 sides to the roof line at or under 200 sqft so no permit on permanent structure required. Would like a 6’ front wall but at a 65 degree roof angle thats a tall mother fucking back wall. I have heard that down to about 45 degrees on your roof line it makes little difference.

Who here has done something like this and is willing to tell me its a bad or good idea. Bacon wrapped avocados are also an option. WWID?

you should do it :smokin: and document it here :)

i'd imagine the +20* roof angle is to get full winter sun on the panels, but it seems like that would make for a steep pitch for not much reason? Can't see how/why you would need the windows to be at that angle, solar panels obviously you'd want to match to the sun azimuth, but hell, the roof could be clear to capture winter sun/heat

...We have some dwarf citrus trees and a dwarf olive tree that we would like to keep in there. If I can keep it warm enough I will toss coffee plants in there as well.

Dont forget a couple of coca bushes as well, purely for medicinal usage. It would be nice not to have any headaches for rest of life-

Why would a hoop style roof/greenhouse not work? Something on the lines of this https://offgridworld.com/how-to-buil...nhouse-for-50/.

They don’t stay warm enough when its 10-20 degrees out. Ideally I would like to grow veggies year round in it. The thermal mass insulating it dramatically increases your ability to hold the heat without needing to add a heater. Several people in town have glass greenhouses and those that want a year round growing season pay out the ass to heat it for 3-4 months. Besides 36-48” of snow on a hoop house does a number on them if they are not warm enough to keep it from sticking. Its not uncommon for us to get a 36” dumping at least once a year and about every 3-4 years we get a ton of fucking snow. There is a collapsed hoop house that was metal framed with the thick canvas cover that didnt take a wet 30” snowfall

Dwarf citrus trees dont like being below the 60’s snd coffee below 65 degrees. My coffee plants currently are indoor plants.

I am going to price the multi wall panels today.

My original inspiration came from an article I read about Chinese greenhouses. They can stay mid 60’s in the teens or lower.

Last edited:
you should do it :smokin: and document it here :)

i'd imagine the +20* roof angle is to get full winter sun on the panels, but it seems like that would make for a steep pitch for not much reason? Can't see how/why you would need the windows to be at that angle, solar panels obviously you'd want to match to the sun azimuth, but hell, the roof could be clear to capture winter sun/heat

Its getting done unless someone gives a good reason not to:grinpimp:. I think having at least a 12/12 pitch roof will also help with shedding the snow. After pricing all sorts of greenhouses I think this will be the most economical to build as well. Famous last words...

Bonus points for installing some sort of ground source heating.

Have you ever looked into the ones made out of straw bales? If not check it out.

I have thought about building one. Apparently you dig down 3-4' and that helps extend your grow season in the north, right?

why remove the roof?

Top Back Refresh