What's new

Early Dakota Quadcab trucks any good?

Funny thing is I have a 14 Ram 2500 tradesman cummins quad cab truck right now. Its bitchin. Hauls the family and the 4runner on a trailer really well. Plenty of room and comfort for all our crap. I actually started building a popup camper for it and really need to get it finished. It is amazing how capable the ram chassis and the power wagons are, and the desert is pretty wide open for them.

Having said that though, I'd really rather not wheel my ram. It is the nicest thing I own vehicle wise and its actually worth something. I'd like to keep it that way. I've also wheeled a similar 14 ram on fins and things in moab, a beginner trail, and it was nerve racking. Visibility out the pass side is the worst of any vehicle I've ever driven and wheeling on top of the sand stone out there at times, it just looks like your in low flying plane since you can't see any of the ground on the right.

I think of trips we've done in the past and think about what we could have done different and how that applies to what I'm looking to do vehicle wise. We went to death valley two year ago and it was great. We towed my 4runner out there and drove around offroad in that. The 4runner is small and light and will go anywhere out there. We covered a lot of ground and it was hot. On the third day the AC quit and the truck wasn't the most comfortable to drive all those miles on the highway or offroad. I think about where we went and there was only one day going up to the salt tram where I wouldn't have wanted to drive the ram. We could have done most of that trip in the ram with no issues and been totally comfortable. Except we wouldn't have gotten to see the salt tram. Sure we could have found something else to do, but it sucks being limited on where you can go. I'd like to go back out and hit lippincot road too, and thats another place I'm not sure I'd take the ram.

Have you ever wheeled in the sierras? If not you should make it a point to sometime. Good times! Its tight though in spots. Rubicon is actually pretty open to fullsizes now I feel like. Other spots like dusy will just crumple all your door panels. The trees are barely wide enough for my 4runner in spots. Jeeps work because while the axles are essentially full width, the body is not and that tends to save them. The tires sticking out tends to help save the body. A fullsize doesn't really have that option. I'm going wheeling this weekend on a trail we try to hit every year for the boys. Its got a few tight spots and I'm going to try to photo a few spots with my 4runner in them so people can get an idea of how tight it is. I've long contemplated building a chevy tahoe, but its body width keeps me from doing that. Otherwise they have the power, wheelbase, comfy seating and cargo space I'm looking for. The dakota is appealing since its in between my 4runner size and a tahoe size, plus V8, and cheapish. A set of fullwidth tons, coilovers in the front, something in the back, 37"+ tires and I'm sure it would be plenty capable for my needs offroad. I'm not sure it has the reliability I want though, and it could use more power. Ideally 300hp-300tq I think would be ideal, and that lead into my questions comparing it to a chevy colorado, which makes those power numbers.

I like the idea of a jeep body on a ram chassis. I thought of that before and things actually line up really well. I have cad models of a JK frame and 4th gen ram chassis to compare too. Problem is though, in cali you wind up registering it as a ram 2500 and get hit with the registration weight penalties on top of a wrangler having less cargo space than my 4runner and I'm trying to move away from a cludged together vehicle. I'm trying to find something with a motor-drivetrain combo in a descent sized body that has a factory integrated wiring harness and AC system. That way its all factory and works seamlessly together, at least in theory. Keep in mind my 4runner has a swapped in engine and trans and while I did the best I can, its not perfect and the systems don't all integrate happily. I really like my 4runner on the trail, but the not seamlessly integrated stuff, lack of highway power for distance driving, and the want for more space for family and all our crap has me looking at alternatives.

Most of this has become a mental exercise for me. I will probably never part with my 4runner, but its fun to think about what fits. I know if I changed my use case, split them up, or just gave up on part of it, I'd have no problem finding many vehicles that fit the bill, but what fun is that? My kids are 8 right now, and I expect in 10yrs this won't be an issue anymore anyways.

Sorry for the wall of text.:flipoff2:
Kevin

How bad are the autos? A quick search was saying you sniffed at one with a V8 and it littered the freeway. Is it 700r4 legendary status?

My friend had a 5.2L quad cab and liked it. But that sucker was super long in the middle and would hang up on shit my 99 xtra cab Tacoma walked through.

I'm doing a little research on an extra cab 4wd of that era but I'm not sure on 4.7L, 5.2L, or 5.9L.
One of the companies I worked for had a 97 extra cab four-wheel-drive. In the two years I worked there we put in three transmissions under warranty. The next owner was also associated with us and he put in two or three. The truck might have 200,000 miles on it now. We had it brand new.

It’s essentially the same as a CJ trans but it didn’t hold up for shit in a Dakota. After the second one we added a cooler and a gauge.

Given what you want to do and what work it sounds like your willing to do, you could almost start with anything and end up where you want as long as its not too big for trails or too small for family.
I don't think anyone answered you about the whole sequoia\tundra width being different, the sheet metal on a tundra reg cab & access cab are different than a double cab tundra or sequoia. It sounds goofy but its true, even the windshield and bed interior is taller in the DC vs RC \ AC. So in short both widths you have are pretty close the RC \ AC is 75.2" and DC \ SQ is 76.6" both without mirrors. But dont forget that all of them can tuck full width superduty axles under the factory flares width wise on stock SD wheels. Also again if a tacoma 2nd gen (74.6" wide) or 3rd gen (75.2" wide) fits down the trail than 99% chance any of the 1st gen tundra's \ sequoia will.

I wish my moms tacoma was long bed so it would be more apples to apples but its still a good example. The trucks are on slight hill with the tundra being on the higher side but it's not off by much. Now I will concede that you can find a dakota cheaper than a tundra but they can be found for decent price and sequoia seems to be in between the two value wise.
52278279919_df27f6f6ff_c.jpg
52277037637_ea0d2babf0_c.jpg
52278280269_53e6d4e6c3_w.jpg 52278033218_7b0249dd03.jpg

I think the option that has the least amount of 'build time' (= time away from family, etc) is a Ram 2500 quadcab (or megacab) on 37s or 40s. Most everything will bolt on (very little fab time). Simple, big, strong, and reliable.

I like my Ram, but body panels on trails scare me. I’d love to flatbed mine and shorten it a foot…that would be the ticket. The 2019+ has the 8 speed with a 5:1 first, gets close to a 60:1, not bad for a factory truck with auto. But….not exactly cheap for an off-road rig.

Here is the spot I always think of when I think of actually attempting to wheel a fullsize truck in the Sierra's. There are many more, this is just one of the ones I remember.
20220811-141114.jpg
20220811-141122.jpg
20220811-141152.jpg
20220811-141200.jpg

Its pretty tight as you can see. As you pull through the large, undercut boulder in front of the pass side forces you to turn left. The rock under the drivers rear tire leans the body over into the tree on the pass side, but as you come off of it you wind up flopping back into the rock on the drivers side. I know full width axles will make it through here without an issue, and I would imagine you could shove a full size truck through here, but at what cost?

I guess I'm not really telling the whole story though, as I haven't shown the bypass around this that people have made off the trail because they simply can't drive, don't actually want to wheel the hard spots, or don't fit. I don't recall the bypass being there last year. Kinda bums me out in a way, but thats yet another tangent.

Sorry for bringing toyota pics into the dodge forum.

no that's exceptionally good intel for anyone wanting to plan out those kind of treks, regardless of 'make and model' 👍 . My big truck is 8 feet wide from bulge to bulge - do you know how wide it is between the tree and rock? My truck is big enough that...in that particular situation...I'd be tempted to get my drivers side up on that rock and 'sliders' down the other side, but that's me. For the record, is the bypass legal?, or is it considered 'off trail'?

- Sam

Last edited:
I don't know how wide it is. It is at least 84" wide and probably more like 90". If it was all flat, level, and you could drive straight through it, I'm sure you could get a fullsize through it with no damage.

I don't know if its legal or not. I tend to feel like its not, but there may be an easement I'm unaware of. I don't know how the clubs that caretake these trails feel about these situations. Past comments from an old club member about previous similar issues at the gatekeeper supports my thoughts that they are not legal, but who knows? It bums me out because I know the reason is the popularity of these trails is what is driving the bypass situations and will likely result in major changes to the trail or closure. Plenty of dirt roads in the forest. I don't get why you would come on a hard trail to only try to drive around the hard obstacles?

There are other spots going between trees that are super narrow also. Some of those also have bypasses, some new, some old. There were more than a few spots where I was cringing because the body was getting super close to a tree. I don't mind a few dents, its all part of the game, but I'm trying to limit the amount I get. Most of the trees next to the trail have scars on them from vehicles rubbing against them. I also really don't want to break the rear side glass and I am overprotective of that. Happy to report no new dents, broken glass, or even broken taillights from this trip!

Not trying to hijack but what about the earlier Dakotas?

they are even 'simpler' - still had V8s, and IIRC all body on frame so plenty good for wheelin' etc., but no 4-door, so really any of them are 'good enough' and most any of them will require voodoo to take 'em real deep into the rocks, at least IMO. If I didn't need a 4-door I'd have very likely built an earlier clubcab Dak vs my 02.

- Sam

Bench building is one of my favorite things to do lately, especially since I have played this game many times since selling my Mountaineer. One thing you may not be considering is how the lack of glass in the back of the trucks makes it a little "easier' to sneak them around things. I was often afraid of (and often did) blow out the rear glass on the Mercury (Similar dimensions to your 4 runner). It is a bit easier to sneak around things in a full size if you don't have acres of glass behind you to worry about.

they are even 'simpler' - still had V8s, and IIRC all body on frame so plenty good for wheelin' etc., but no 4-door, so really any of them are 'good enough' and most any of them will require voodoo to take 'em real deep into the rocks, at least IMO. If I didn't need a 4-door I'd have very likely built an earlier clubcab Dak vs my 02.

- Sam
Have you ever eye balled the frames for low slung sas setup? I’ve never looked one over in person, but also haven’t done an SAS yet so don’t know what I don’t know when I do look. Just trying to bench build right now too

...do you mean how much clearance is under them after a SAS? Either way, here are a couple pics of mine - to recap, 02 Dakota QC, ~4" leaf springs, ~140" wheelbase, 40" tires - there's about 25 inches between the belly and ground bow to stern - Homer bucket for reference -

NjkUzid.jpg

oOzSGTq.jpg

ZXBBpOd.jpg

37qP2hf.jpg

Top Back Refresh