What's new

E450 cutaway van box truck sound deadening

707offroad

Bro-tastic
Member Number
I've got a e450 cutaway van with a fiberglass box with a roll up door on the back that has terrible road noise in the cab. This is a work truck/ delivery truck.
My googlfu skills must be lacking as I'm nut finding anything online except for camper conversions.

I'm thinking about insulating the bulkhead behind the seats with some sound deadening and possibly the roof and walls of the box.
Amazon has 200mil 50 sq ft sound deadening material for about $50. Is this worth a damn?

I've seen some delivery trucks have what look like plastic plates attached to the walls of the box. What are these called? link to buy?

Thanks

On my step van I put a cheap dynamat (kilmat?) on the walls and roof didn’t cover them maybe 30-40% coverage. You are just looking for enough to take out the tin can effect in the walls/roof. I also make sure that whoever is driving it has ear plugs because even with the sound deadening it’s a big aluminum box so it’s always loud as hell.

In my opinion, me ... personally.... earplugs.

BUT if I was going to take this on, I would build a wall behind the driver's seat and sound deaden the shit out of it. ... Dynamat, carpet, whatever. But trying to deaden the whole thing, including the cargo area, I think will become a lesson in futility.

There is some roof covering material that is the same exact shit as dynamat, but marketed to cover houses before you lay shingles.

Dynamat buys this by the metric fuckton and adds their logo and jacks up the price.

There is some roof covering material that is the same exact shit as dynamat, but marketed to cover houses before you lay shingles.

Dynamat buys this by the metric fuckton and adds their logo and jacks up the price.
Is his what you are talking about? I've always seen it called "Protecto wrap" but I think it's the same thing.

Last edited:
Do not try to noise cancel the whole box. Maybe look into the door rollers and latch if they are making a bunch of noise. Partitioning off and insulating the bulkhead seems reasonable. Ours was just 3/4" plywood or something.

Worst thing was when someone forgot to secure the pallet jack and the first stoplight you would hear it hauling ass for the cab and SMASH:lmao: Man I was hard on that poor truck.:homer:

Is his what you are talking about? I've always seen it called "Protecto wrap" but I think it's the same thing.

That's the stuff

$400 for a roll! :eek:

I'll try the $50 sound deadening first

Along with the divider dampining mentioned, On my express, some 2" flexable foam sheet cut to fit the bit of body side sheet metal beside/behind the drivers seat and the divider makes a big difference in road noise. Also helps with temperature extremes, especially in summer by insulating the hot sheet metal next to your head.

That's the stuff
That roofing shit is going to stink like hell when it's hot.

It isn't the same thing as Dynamat or other off brands.

OP, I have used a lot of Dynamat over the years and its pricey but really good. Saying that, when making my ghey vanlife interior deadened, I opted to use the Amazon branded stuff by the roll after reading up on a few different brands.

There are some spray on alternatives that may be the way to go with that large of an area.

Do your search on motorhomes.
I put the Amazon stuff in my E450 motorhome and it helped a lot.

dynomat.jpg

Grace Ice and Water shield, cheap and works great. Has a bit of smell for a short time but it fades away.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh