What's new

Dust ?

CJ503

Huh ?
Member Number
Loc
West of sanity, south of syrup
I did the search thing but did not find what I was looking for.

How do you deal with dust ?

To qualify, I have my roof, windshield, back window all in place still. With the tracks on, it will still get snow inside. Pulled the tracks, on 35's for summer and the dust is insane.

Do you wear a helmet all the time ? Goggles ?

I have both, but normally just wear foam backed safety glasses. I am talking about just running around on the property and the dirt roads up here. Big bonus ?? I wear contacts.

I could pull all the parts off and put them back on I guess. The doors have 4" gap at the bottom, so yeah, not sure that will help.

I have been out back working on the pond. Got the track hoe, skidsteer, tractor back there, water is WAY down. Good time to do maintenance, but it also is very much a part of how dry it is. Been using the RZR to go back and forth. This dust is epic.

Nut up and shut up ? Just deal with it ?

Any insight is appreciated.

Koh for instance I wear a neck gaitor and Mx or snowboarding goggles. If it’s a dirt rd. Glasse.

I have clay, bordering on bentonite. One old boy stated it pretty well;

"You cannot leave a track in it"

Muddy, you cannot find the bottom, dry, you cannot drive a nail in it.

I have gone over the clay with my blade angled, D4D HD, and my grousers don't even leave a mark.

But drive over it in the RZR, dust city.

This is my first golf cart, so I may not be in tune with what works.

..............wouldn't be the first time.

We only have a rear window/roof and its not too bad. Most of the stuff we drive is FS roads/trails. We've started wearing cheap goggles since we got the helmets/Cardo. Need to upgrade the goggles, there are some leaks. The full face helmet seems to direct airflow away also
Goggles and bandana maybe. I see alot of riders with that setup.
Losing the windshield during the dry season might help too.
I know the dirt you're talking about. Where we park, that is what shows up after the vegetation is gone. And greasy, sticky when its wet.
Anything behind the rear window is covered in the silt.
I dont know how far your driving to the pond, but I've put down a layer of wood chips and that helps around the house.

Good point.

I have some pretty fair dirt bike goggles, but it is WAY to hot for a FF helmet.

Kind of what I got it for, was to be able jump back to where ever when I got home and move some dirt. Run to the mailbox, that sort of thing.

Way dry, worse than I think I have ever seen it. I cut the side of the pond so I could build a road down into a place where I could bottom the pond. I am 20 ? ft below where the water line usually is.

It is dry !

I was using the RZR to run out to the mailbox, but at just 11 miles, the dust is killing me. Trying to use it to get to the pond and the back side of the property.

Ironiclly I run this exact route in the winter with the tack on, if I did NOT have the back window, I would need to dig myself out of the drivers compartment.

But this dust.................... ?

Wow.

I am still learning.

I have just been taking the dirt bike. BUT, that is in a FF helmet and NOT street legal. The golf cart at least has "on road" tabs.

i'm buying a fresh air helmet and pumper soon. i've been eating dust for too long.

i get mildly sick after a week out riding allot of times. fresh air is long over due for me.

What SWT said. your windshield and back glass is creating a low pressure area and it's sucking the dust in. I run no windows unless it's below 40* and raining. below 30 and I will run both to help keep the wind off. I also run MX goggles. tinted during the day and clear at night.

Good goggles and gaiter often for me. Havoc goggles have been nice since the lens is magnetic onto the frame, easy to swap colors or clean.

Full face and Pumper is nice when not extra hot, or don’t want to deal with wind burn, or gonna really be in the dust. Some of the silt beds around KOH are insane.

No windshield front or back and a good pair of goggles is about the best you can do. Having a windshield just encourages more dust to come in due to the pressure difference in the cab vs the air flowing around.
We have a windshield otherwise the dust from the gravel roads when following or meeting a vehicle is overwhelming. Also nice for when it's raining. What I've discovered over time having a few different machines, having just a windshield and no back window creates a draft that pulls the dust into the cab from the back. Also having a back window stops that. Our current machine with front and back glass and half doors isn't too dusty when riding.

If you are just going to be by yourself on your property then a completely open cab is the way to go. And good goggles as mentioned.

Top Back Refresh