What's new

Durometers

I had a buddy thru the shop recently on Mickey Baja Boss 40 stickies, they measured 46ish I believe.

IMO, there is a fine line for what that durometer reading should be, since (as you note) temp is a factor....but lug size/stability is another, and a smaller lug that twists 180 degrees isn't doing much for traction, since it simply folds over. Carcass rigidity, base rubber thickness, and more are all factors. Driving style, wheeling terrain, temps, weather, and more all come into play for the "best" tire, since they all have their pluses and minuses.

But if they were all built the same, then there would be no favorites :)

The open-cell rubber of the tread cap on a Red is why their durometer reading can be higher, yet still perform.

Anybody test durometer of an STT Pro? I've always heard they were really soft for a DOT tire

Agreed... and that's the plan.
My local Milestar dealer says there are 100+ 42's in a warehouse in CA right now and they will have 4 here for me in a couple weeks. Half the price of what I see reds advertised at and supposedly I can actually get my hands on them.

I've only ever been on k-specs and was disappointed in them while wheeling with guys on reds. I have wondered if it's a construction/compound thing, or the extra width of the red, or what. I hope the Milestars are at least as good as the k-spec.

My local Milestar dealer says there are 100+ 42's in a warehouse in CA right now and they will have 4 here for me in a couple weeks. Half the price of what I see reds advertised at and supposedly I can actually get my hands on them.

I've only ever been on k-specs and was disappointed in them while wheeling with guys on reds. I have wondered if it's a construction/compound thing, or the extra width of the red, or what. I hope the Milestars are at least as good as the k-spec.
There were 171 in the container. I have 20 delivering early in Sept :)

The Milestar 42 is slightly narrower than a Red (1/2" maybe), but not as narrow as the Nitto's. K-spec is designed around KOH racing, sidewalls included. I ran 8f 7-1/2r on my last outing, and am bumping to 9f 8r for the next trip to see how it compares. Car is 3950ish wet.

40 Blacks are out of stock, confirmed December delivery for those today.

The Milestar 42 is slightly narrower than a Red (1/2" maybe), but not as narrow as the Nitto's. K-spec is designed around KOH racing, sidewalls included. I ran 8f 7-1/2r on my last outing, and am bumping to 9f 8r for the next trip to see how it compares. Car is 3950ish wet.

So how does one go about trying to get a set of these 42's? :laughing: :grinpimp:

Will you be in Farmington next week for W.E.Rock? I'm REAL interested in seeing them perform.

Will you be in Farmington next week for W.E.Rock? I'm REAL interested in seeing them perform.
I won't unfortunately....triple booked, and the smartest business move for me isn't competition.

I know this is an old thread but I see some folks saying a run of red label Krawlers will be manufactured in April. Can anyone confirm this and if so, can we preorder now to get in line for a set?

I wheel with a guy running Baja x. He doesn't struggle. They all seem to be in the 40-45 range depending on temp.
New Intercos 40-45
Mickey stickies 43-46
Red label 40-45

Red label 40-45

That is way lower than I have ever measured for a Red. I consistently get low 60s, and the lug pinch test confirms their compound is stiffer than Treps, SXs, and ProXs which all consistently measure in the low 40s. What size Reds were those? I have only ever measured 42s, but I doubt they use different compounds for the smaller sizes.

Anyone have time on the sticky Mickey Baja X?

Several of the southern NM guys are running them. I hate the way the look, but they seem to work surprisingly well. They are stupid wide though in a 43" size. I watched a full body CJ-7 on them damn near crawl the Spillway waterfall in Caballo which normally requires some wheel speed and commitment from buggies.

Several of the southern NM guys are running them. I hate the way the look, but they seem to work surprisingly well. They are stupid wide though in a 43" size. I watched a full body CJ-7 on them damn near crawl the Spillway waterfall in Caballo which normally requires some wheel speed and commitment from buggies.

These guys?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240228-103034_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240228-103034_Samsung Internet.jpg
    366.7 KB · Views: 13
These guys?

D'oh :homer: I had ProX on my mind. I've been around a few sets of the Baja Boss. I wasn't super impressed; it seems like the compound is too soft for the size of the lugs and they just want to fold over.

Last edited:
These guys?
Those are the Baja Boss (X denotes sticky I believe); different tire than the Baja Pro X. I was planning the non-sticky version of the Boss for an occasionally street driven trail rig and read here about a lot of problems with the tires and M/T not standing behind them in terms of warranty. I was going to go with Nitto Trail Grapplers instead for that reason. Don't know if the issues with the Mickeys have been resolved...or if they ever applied to the stickies in the Boss X or Pro X. I'm searching to find the thread now....

Last edited:
That is way lower than I have ever measured for a Red. I consistently get low 60s, and the lug pinch test confirms their compound is stiffer than Treps, SXs, and ProXs which all consistently measure in the low 40s. What size Reds were those? I have only ever measured 42s, but I doubt they use different compounds for the smaller sizes.
Same. 55 to low 60s is what I've always seen on Reds

Last edited:
Honestly I'm just curious about the Mickey's cause last time I checked they were half the price of Treps. I like my Treps but unless I stumble upon another used set for a steal I'm not sure I'll be on them again.

read here about a lot of problems with the tires and M/T not standing behind them in terms of warranty.
Not surprised. I had a Dick Cepek (Which is/was M/T) come apart on a street truck and spoke to their tech guy at length and was basically told get fucked

You are correct,that was a typo. From my old notes here reds look like mid 60's

D'oh :homer: I had ProX on my mind. I've been around a few sets of the Baja Boss. I wasn't super impressed; it seems like the compound is too soft for the size of the lugs and they just want to fold over.
little more psi usually fixes that. the same for the Pro X. ended running 8-10 psi on last buggy and they worked really well. once you figure out the psi they won't fold over is when they work the best
diehard5.jpg

Top Back Refresh