What's new

Durometers

BlackfishFab

Member Number
Anyone have recent durometers for current tires?
This goes deeper than you'll want to go and it'll make your head hurt, so let's just stick with this:

I'm trying to find the durometer of a Creepy Crawler. I'm also hearing murmurs of several different compounds, but none are true sticky.

The answers I am finding are literally all over the damn place, from softer than a Red to harder than a Baja Claw.
Maxxis doesn't answer emails, and those who don't know reply with "I run blah blah blah and they're awesome, bro."

Currently running 43 SXs and 40" KR3s.

For reference Incase someone wants to assume I'm a JK.

Attachments

• IMG_20221026_110527_258.jpg
    IMG_20221026_110527_258.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 244
  • FB_IMG_1662523393285.jpg
    FB_IMG_1662523393285.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 118
Worthless reply here, but my recollection is that Maxxis used to make a competition compound Creepy Crawler that was still labeled as a DOT and did not have "Not For Highway Use" admonishments on it at one point before Treps really took over. I believe that is where the crazy soft numbers came from. The current ones that are street compound only seemed fairly soft the last time I gave a set the squeeze test.

Of course durometer values aren't completely definitive due to all the variables unless you can compare between tires in the same condition, in the same place, and at the same time.

Worthless reply here, but my recollection is that Maxxis used to make a competition compound Creepy Crawler that was still labeled as a DOT and did not have "Not For Highway Use" admonishments on it at one point before Treps really took over. I believe that is where the crazy soft numbers came from. The current ones that are street compound only seemed fairly soft the last time I gave a set the squeeze test.

Of course durometer values aren't completely definitive due to all the variables unless you can compare between tires in the same condition, in the same place, and at the same time.
That reply actually seems right on par with what I'm digging up.
I actually emailed Maxxis a while back and pretty much bitched em out for choosing the wrong tire to make their Golden Child. Fuck I hate directional tires.

Ran into a Maxxis Rep at SEMA a few years back and kinda gave him the same response and he recalled the email, lol... But gave no reason why they ran with the Trep.

They could seriously have a tire that would give a Red a run for it's money and have a better sidewall than the notoriously shit BFGs. They've had crap sidewalls since the very first MT was released.
The joke was always "get em wet and they self ventilate."
Now they do it in the dry, too.

Maxis did indeed make a creepy that was a sticky. There’s a set on my sons rig in the back yard as we speak.😜

Maxis did indeed make a creepy that was a sticky. There’s a set on my sons rig in the back yard as we speak.😜
They were playing with a lot of compounds BITD, but trying to figure out what they currently release them in. I would trade "moar stickay" for "still holds air" at the end of a long trip with multiple stops.
I ain't about the patch life...

i went out and looked, because I couldn’t remember if they did say off-road only. Nope. I’m not sure how sticky they are. I did the bend over a lug deal. That test came out close to the reds sticky at 40 degrees outside.🤣

I had notes on durometer's for a while, unsure where I buried them.....Maxxis did 3 or 4 different durometers on the Treps depending on when they were manufactured. And yes, the Creepy Crawlers were even what the "insider enthusiasts" were pushing for their comp tire (and later, the newer RaZR) and Maxxis shot them all down. Same group shot pushed for the 20" wheel and Maxxis went with the 17.

Yes they made a comp Creepy and a comp Trep. They dropped the comp compound because I don’t know why. I know that a comp Trep duros softer than a Red. There are a run of comp compound Creepys, no you can’t buy them, don’t ask. There are some new tires/compounds coming down the pipeline. Dont ask, I won’t tell give any more details than I already have.

The head bean counters for the past couple of years didn’t really care about off road. It’s the smallest segment of Maxxis. They don’t want to make 2 different tires in a competition compound when they only sell a handful of units a year is what it boils down to.

Yeah I heard about some stuff in the works, but that we(the normals who actually pay for stuff versus sponsored)may not see it.

So far Interco wins for number of sticky tire options.

Found a couple threads online with durometer notes...
PXL_20221219_232251536.jpg

This was a 2017 post...
PXL_20221219_231719213.jpg

I may or may not have tested a new tire today that's low 50s...

I can get you measurements off a 2010 trep and a 2020 trep as I have both and a durometer. I know Chris D. had sticky Creepies BITD. I almost ordered some before I got my Treps from Zach V. too.

I remember people saying the logo was a different color and that's how you could tell the difference. I have Treps with different color logos thougg that both say competition on them.

I like the Creepies personally and would rock them now in a sticky. A 42x13.5x17 sticky Creepy would be the cat's pajamas.

I can get you measurements off a 2010 trep and a 2020 trep as I have both and a durometer. I know Chris D. had sticky Creepies BITD. I almost ordered some before I got my Treps from Zach V. too.

I remember people saying the logo was a different color and that's how you could tell the difference. I have Treps with different color logos thougg that both say competition on them.

I like the Creepies personally and would rock them now in a sticky. A 42x13.5x17 sticky Creepy would be the cat's pajamas.
Hell, Anything non directional in a sticky compound

The Razr MT would be killer in a sticky IMHO. It's already a production tire too.

My only issue with treps is if I need my spare it's a 50/50 it's backwards. They have by far been the best tire I've run here all around and outside getting shorter they get better the more beat in they get

Reviving an old thread. Has anyone done an update on this work with some of the new stickies? Seems like it's hard to find a place that even shows all the current options available and people experience with them.

I'm not aware of any soft CC, just the treps. Would be a nice thread to have though for future reference.
edit: replied before reading the whole thread

Back in the day before sticky Treps, Maxxis had at least 2 versions of sticky Creepy Crawlers. I had one of the first iterations, the "356 compound". The next iteration was a 7 something IIRC. They were not particularly sticky IMO, but I never put a durometer to them.

I just bought sticky 42" SX2s.....right around 41 durometer.

Last edited:
Milestar MT02 40" Blacks #orangecrush come in about 53-54.

I suspect the 42 MT02 Blacks #orangecrush will be the same when they hit warehouses in Aug/Sept this year :)

Milestar MT02 40" Blacks #orangecrush come in about 53-54.

I suspect the 42 MT02 Blacks #orangecrush will be the same when they hit warehouses in Aug/Sept this year :)

woody how would you compare those traction and sidewall wise to the reds, seeing as you essentially live at SH and wheel with plenty of other setups...?

Curious to see what pricing on those 42's ends up being. With the price of reds...might be worth a try...

woody how would you compare those traction and sidewall wise to the reds, seeing as you essentially live at SH and wheel with plenty of other setups...?

Curious to see what pricing on those 42's ends up being. With the price of reds...might be worth a try...
IMO, the sidewalls are superior on the MT02 versus a Red. I have yet to do more than scar one. The past 15+ wheeling days have been Hammers (4 days) and Wolf Caves/Katemcy (TX). They are taking a beating here, but no worse than the Reds. One of the guys I was wheeling with at Hammers had NEW Reds, and the sidewalls were rough after 4 days. Obviously driver makes a big difference on this stuff too, so it's hard to tell.

TX rocks have ridiculous traction, and will bind your drivetrain hard. More traction than Sand Hollow. Hammers is slicker and everything moves around. I may spend a few days at BFE in a couple weeks during EJS too and will be seeing how my set of 40" MT02 Blacks #orangecrush work there.

My current MT02 42's are not stickys. They are NOT as good as Reds, but are still running most of the same stuff, just hunting a bit more to find the line. I still consider Reds the standard to attain, at least from a traction standpoint. Sidewalls and mud have never teen the Red's forte. SX's are still the muddy rock king. I have a buddy here on M/T Baja Boss 40 stickys, he loves them...wish I had my durometer tool along to test, they are ridiculously soft (too soft for me)...I can literally twist the smaller lugs 180 degrees.

I'm hoping for a price point around $750 for the 42 Black. The 42 DOT is $600. I get why competitors need the BEST tire they can find, but the current MT02 DOT does 95% of the same stuff at 50% of the price. For an enthusiast, they are hard to beat.

IMO, the sidewalls are superior on the MT02 versus a Red. I have yet to do more than scar one. The past 15+ wheeling days have been Hammers (4 days) and Wolf Caves/Katemcy (TX). They are taking a beating here, but no worse than the Reds. One of the guys I was wheeling with at Hammers had NEW Reds, and the sidewalls were rough after 4 days. Obviously driver makes a big difference on this stuff too, so it's hard to tell.

TX rocks have ridiculous traction, and will bind your drivetrain hard. More traction than Sand Hollow. Hammers is slicker and everything moves around. I may spend a few days at BFE in a couple weeks during EJS too and will be seeing how my set of 40" MT02 Blacks #orangecrush work there.

My current MT02 42's are not stickys. They are NOT as good as Reds, but are still running most of the same stuff, just hunting a bit more to find the line. I still consider Reds the standard to attain, at least from a traction standpoint. Sidewalls and mud have never teen the Red's forte. SX's are still the muddy rock king. I have a buddy here on M/T Baja Boss 40 stickys, he loves them...wish I had my durometer tool along to test, they are ridiculously soft (too soft for me)...I can literally twist the smaller lugs 180 degrees.

I'm hoping for a price point around $750 for the 42 Black. The 42 DOT is $600. I get why competitors need the BEST tire they can find, but the current MT02 DOT does 95% of the same stuff at 50% of the price. For an enthusiast, they are hard to beat.

Awesome, thanks for the insight!

My 40" MTR stickies are going to need to get replaced here in the next season or two...so playing the tire game.

I'd love some 42" reds, but the pricing on them is bonkers, as it the wait time, unless you stumble on a good deal.

At $750ish a tire, the 42" black could definitely be worth a try. :beer:

If you still have a local quality print shop they will have durometers.

I Used to use them for roller hardness / end of life testing.

40" Milestar MT02 NHS Black Labels in action, WE Rock Cedar City, Pro Trail class. Took 2nd in class (due to a rookie mistake), and would have been mid-pack with the Unlimiteds. 7psi front, 6psi rear. Fronts are top of wheel with water. Haven't weighed yet.

Towards the end you can see where the rear is turned hard, and the backsidewall of the right rear contacts the wall and pulls the tire down below the cone, and floats the driver front. That was the key maneuver.

Lots of people were talking about how they worked, especially since every other competitor was on 42's.

40" Milestar MT02 NHS Black Labels in action, WE Rock Cedar City, Pro Trail class. Took 2nd in class (due to a rookie mistake), and would have been mid-pack with the Unlimiteds. 7psi front, 6psi rear. Fronts are top of wheel with water. Haven't weighed yet.

Towards the end you can see where the rear is turned hard, and the backsidewall of the right rear contacts the wall and pulls the tire down below the cone, and floats the driver front. That was the key maneuver.

Lots of people were talking about how they worked, especially since every other competitor was on 42's.

So what's the durometer reading? :flipoff2: EDIT: I just re-read this thread and saw you teased low 50s.

A buddy of mine got a durometer recently and we've been going around poking people's tires. Temperature makes a big difference so I am hesitant to post numbers.

43" SXs and Treps are about the softest around and are usually within a point or so of eachother. We measured some USD stickies, but I forgot what they came in at. BFG reds are significantly harder than other sticky tires, so there is a lot more to stickiness than just how soft the rubber compound is. I wish we had tested some K-specs. EDIT: I forgot that we measured some sticky Mickey Pro X tires too, and they were right in line with the Treps and SXs.

My radial Rockers are the softest DOT tires we measured.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh