What's new

duplex designs

gunracer1

Collector of fine junk
Member Number
Loc
azle tx, aguilar co.
I plan on pulling a trailer off some land I own and building a duplex. I have decided to do 1 bedroom on either side. this simple plan has me interested. this is about what I had in my head. anyone have some wrenches to throw in my mix? I figured I would put up a one car car port on either side. And have the rent a bit higher, trying to get a retired person to be interested.

il_794xN.2674160002_i9hj.jpg

From cheap building standpoint, you've got it(ie all plumbing in a center wall)

If you are "threatening" a garage, putting the garage between the two units will be nice to contain neighbor noise.

Single room is a mixed issue. Kind of like a two bedroom house. Finding someone who wants one will be a challenge.

purfect duplex plan
single bedrooms mean no kids

thats the plan, trying to keep myself away from the sad stories. I figured I could get a retired person/couple my head aches would be way less. and i did think about the garage, but have decided on just a double fire wall.

I have owned a duplex for 23 years now
agree about the utilities as stated above,
Keep in mind you want s building nice enough to draw a middle class that has enough investment in life that they actually have something to loose.
I'd reconsider the one bedroom, cheap rent brings cheap people, and the lifestyle that comes with them

If you hate kids, screen those people out. I have a unit, single guy owns his own business, uses the other bedroom as an office. He is never home

Looks good. I'd consider building an enclosed hallway/enclosed chaseway even if extremely narrow between the two and run all the utilities you can inside it and stubbed out through the chase wall. It would give you killer access for repaira and to dampen sound between the 2 units

Last edited:
Looks good. I'd consider building an enclosed hallway/enclosed chaseway even if extremely narrow between the two and run all the utilities you can inside it and stubbed out through the chase wall. It would give you killer access for repaira and to dampen sound between the 2 units

Good idea

I like it, keep it simple and cheap. I would opt for a single car garage just to step it up a notch. Per sq foot, garages bring good returns. Let’s say add $75 a month rent, that’s 900 yr, on a 10k-15k upgrade. A small fenced yard for a small dog is a home run for single retirees. Old people like pets but pay rent on time, it’s a trade off for sure.

Rent a bit higher for a 1 bedroom? I think you are really limiting your renters, maybe I'm a little too concerned about space but even when it was just the wife and I we didn't see any point in a single bedroom for the same amount of money. The second bedroom usually became a study/computer room or used to store stuff like camping gear or Christmas tree. You better have garage/outside storage if you stick to a 1 bedroom.

post #7 at min...quiet and a chaseway for back yard access.
One car garage next post #9, storage in a small duplex is critical.
2 bedroom next (as above, storage,office) home office (no closet perhaps)

Last edited:
Just don't rent to 20yr old me and my other 2 buddies... we always payed rent on time but Wednesday 3am keg parties in the front yard with cars wrapped around the block was a little excessive. Along with Banshee blasts up and down the street. And me doing a CBR600 brakestand on the walkway at the front door. And all the syphilis and herpes we left all over the walls and ceiling.

Hell yeah, you can have peepholes into both units that way. 😆

I’d do the double wall between units too. I’d also enclose the washer dryer somehow, even just doors. A tankless water heater and fau in the attic frees up that closet.

I think a big value in the double wall is a bit of storage, touch up paint, a toolbox, bucket, plunger, even a place to stash tools or supplies for a come back tomorrow repair

I'm not sure what your big picture is, but maybe build some personal storage into your expenses there, maybe you don't need a detached single car garage in your life, but if you did, make it a write off

A retired person/couple is going to want two bedrooms and a carport or garage. I'd build it that way and weed out the renters you don't want.

It’s illegal to “weed out” renters. Granted a credit check will get rid of many.

Credit check, proof of employment and income, references, etc. There's ways to keep the worst of the worst out.

Credit check, proof of employment and income, references, etc. There's ways to keep the worst of the worst out.

Yes, I always do a couple of showings, take applications in person, do the standard background checks, and call their previous landlord. Calling their previous landlord is solid gold most of the time. Weeding out PIA tenants is 90% of the battle. Get that part right and it’s not that bad of a gig.

ok I have warmed up to the 3 or 4' equipment room/hall between them. just to help with the sound and plumbing. ill insulate the shit out of both and rock/firewall both walls well. and put an access door on the back.

ok I have warmed up to the 3 or 4' equipment room/hall between them. just to help with the sound and plumbing. ill insulate the shit out of both and rock/firewall both walls well. and put an access door on the back.

Could you also have this be your access to the cold water heater closest. It would eliminate the 2 doors and keep the tenants out of areas they dont need to be.

not really, but I figure I will build a duplex the exact size of the trailer I am pulling out and hope the tax man doesn't notice. and its a great neighborhood so renting it out should not be a problem.

Top Back Refresh