What's new

Dumb lateral move?

Haggard-Beard

Fuckface
Member Number
Found a clean 01 CCLB 8.1 Gmc 2500HD for sale nearish to me. I currently have a 08 CCLB SRW 6.0 3500.
The 8.1 has a couple dents but no rust, while my current truck has rust on the bedsides.
I really do miss having a gmt800, I feel like gm build quality went down in 07.
I don’t think I’ll mind going from a 6l90 back to an allison? Maybe I will?

Would it be a dumb move to buy the 8.1 and sell my current truck? Money wise it’ll be damn near a wash.

What say Irate?

Also, I never really needed the 3500, I’m usually just pulling an equipment trailer or dump trailer. My current gvw is 9900 and I believe the 8.1 will be 9600? Not a big loss in my opinion

I would take the 8.1 over the 6.0 if you tow often. Id also be surprised if the 8.1 is only 9600. My 6.0 is 9600 GVWR. I'm pretty sure the 8.1/allison has the same GCWR as the duramax trucks at 22k too while the 6.0 is 16k.

The only thing I have against the 8.1 is the heads and aftermarket being limiting factors in power but, if you arent into modifying it then that's no big deal.

Do it.

Yeah i gave up on DDing my trucks, I just use the wife’s car since she works from home :lmao:

And yeah not into heavily modding trucks, I don’t have that deep of pockets. Intake, exhaust and tune is all it will see

I've had both engines and still currently have a 2009 2500hd and 2001 2500hd with a 6.0/nv4500. My opinion the 6.0/6l90 actually tows pretty well for what it is and my needs in the 10-12k range mostly in the IN, KY, TN region, but the 8.1 did it with less rpm and shifting, 6th gear in the 6l90 is never used when I'm towing . My 09 has been reliable, I like the way the 09 handles max weight/being a bit over loaded or too much tongue weight versus the 01 truck, kind of hard to explain but it is just always feels stable. That said the 09 makes a 2nd gen dodge look like the pinnacle of automotive quality. The white paint comes off with a garden hose, the dash is all busted up, and it is rusting bad despite seeing almost zero salt in its life. I'd do the trade at similar value.

I agree that the 6.0-6l90 pulls well! It’s just the rest of the truck around it that I’m not fond of :lmao:

In my head the gmt800 are the superior truck, at least in build quality, so they’re a better platform to sink money into and make worth keeping.

Got it!

7A03D3B8-0605-4A05-8FBB-CDBA638FCE9F.jpeg

She needs a little love, but I think she’ll be pretty sexy after a good detail.

Might post some updates here? This place needs more tech anyway :flipoff2:

Anyway, like I said she needs

Most of the brake system replaced, needs an ABS module, hydroboost is leaking, and the lines are kinda rusty, not bad, but why not.

Passenger rear door, pretty dented up

A good detail

Door trim

Badges

Swap the leather interior for cloth, probably do some sound deadening while I’ve got it torn down that far.

I’ve already got a set of hummer wheels and 285 Wildpeaks. Just need to get the wheels powder coated.

Stay tuned for not-very-exciting updates :flipoff2:

Looks good, I'm an 8.1 and a GMT800 fan from my fleet days.

If you're doing the brake lines, I've done a half dozen with the ni-copper kits. Sourced mine from RockAuto, but sure they're available elsewhere as well.

Relatively cheap for preflared lines, less than $100.

I used GM lines once. Screw that, the original lines went on before the body and prebent steel lines were nearly impossible to install without kinking or straightening and rebending.

I'd do it if the 01 isn't a basket case. I doubt that an 08 is going to have that many creature comforts over the 01.

Never owned an 8.1, but people love them and should get roughly the same mileage as the 6.0, although maybe the 6 speed helps over the 4l80e behind the earlier 6.0s.

7C94B5B9-2366-47F9-9CE6-2355A1044058.jpeg

Finally towed some decent weight with the 8.1! BIL Has a bunch of pine logs he wants rid of, so I hauled some home to have milled into boards for misc projects around the house. Pulled beautifully, I love how it doesn’t have to rev to the moon to go up slight hills :lmao:

Top Back Refresh