What's new

Dude in Czech Republic going ham on Tatra

JNHEscher

Red Skull Member
Member Number
Loc
Dogwood, MO.
Saw Peter start posting his videos around electric conversion groups. Got really curious and have since watched every video he's posted. He's tearing down two Tatra 6x6 trucks to make one 4x4 to run on four Nissan Leaf motors. Hadn't seen anything about it here, yet. His channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChBiKvEZ9-k369fIA4D_naA

Bit of a back story - anyone following my bus build from PBB saw me start searching for military axles. Within the same month of me researching axle options, I came across a video of some military truck cruising down a street that appeared to have this monstrous version of VW swing axles - . Didn't really know what it was, but my curiosity was piqued. Fast forward to a few months ago and I find Peter going all the way in on one of these same Tatra drivelines. Wacky and cool stuff. I commend him for showing us something of this magnitude in the off-road world that we don't have in the U.S. I had seen videos of these running off-road courses, but had not seen the internals to explain their chassis operation.

Anyway, had to post it here just to see what kind of chatter it brings.

Last edited:
Reactions: DMG
Man I wish those were more readily available in the us. There would be some extreme builds made out of those things.

Me, too. My first thought was that it's like a bunch of gearing in a sewer pipe. Rather curious how the major changes in camber handle. Those trucks are really popular over there, so there must be something to them.

This guy is a competitor of crispins. :laughing:

Me, too. My first thought was that it's like a bunch of gearing in a sewer pipe. Rather curious how the major changes in camber handle. Those trucks are really popular over there, so there must be something to them.

The Icelandics had no small influence on the evolution of the rock bouncer and more distantly, Ultra 4. Even if it's just conceptual. A Formula Offroad guy made appearances on the old board just as rock crawling was morphing from pure crawling.

Old Worlderers get up to awesome off-road shenanigans, glad to have this added to the catalog. I like the Siberian trucks.

Not trying to de-rail, just adding color. One of my all time favs

I've been watching those Icelandic Formula racers for years. Been trying to make it to the Bikini off road park to watch them ever since they started there. Wondering how well Peter's electric conversion is going to compete with the current Tatra off-roaders.

Remembered I posted about this and had to bump it.

Peter is working on the chassis tubes again. Really cool to see how other manufacturers set up driveline components.

Have you guys never seen Tatras in action?! :smokin:

I've watched a bunch of vids of them ever since I first caught wind of Peter's build. Damn, those trucks are stout. I've I ever get to start on another crawler, I kinda want to do the torque tube chassis.

The War Rig in the Fury Road movie was built on a Tatra 815 chassis.

rig.jpg

Top Back Refresh