What's new

Dual batteries?

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
I plan on running a 8,500 ramsey winch. I have a source of like new 720CCA AGM batteries for $0. I looked up specs of my alternator and it is rated at 90 Amps. Not sure how many amps the winch is going to draw. If the winch toasts the battery, I am not too concerned as I can swap it out, but I would rather not roast the alternator while out on a trail.

Should I bother goin with a dual battery setup? I have the room to mount it, and I have the cables and lugs, but do I really need it or no?

Also, the alternator has a fusible link. Should I leave the fuse link or cut that out and replace with a large blade type fuse?

A solutely go dual battery.

My 12k is 2x the winch on my dodge with 2 1100cca as it was with a old school yellow top

Your winch shouldnt draw more than 300a
With dual batts and concious use you. Ever need more alt or cook the charge wire.

You get free AGM batteries, have room to mount 2 of them and you are wondering if having 2 is a good deal? Fuck yes it is!

I'd swap out the fusable link for a replaceable fuse like this (you do not need a 400 amp fuse, that was the first pic I found).

https://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA®-...19019.h_819018

Click image for larger version Name:	th-6.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	25.2 KB ID:	165449

Click image for larger version Name:	87900_primary_225px copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.1 KB ID:	165450

fucking autocorrect

Go dual batteries. The motor on the winch will gobble up any power it needs. You aren't hooking the winch to the alternator, you are hooking it to the battery. You can run a 30 amp alternator, and you winch will still work the same, the battery would just recharge slower.
the fusible link has nothing to do with the winch, unless it is placed between winch and battery.

My Ramsey 9k winch listed in the manual as 400 amps at full load and my current Warn 10k lists 409 amps under full load, so Would imagine an 8.5k would be in the range under full load too right? I've never measured the amp draw though, I'm just going off what was in the owners manual. I put dual batteries in my vehicles that have room for it just to be safe. YMMV.

You get free AGM batteries, have room to mount 2 of them and you are wondering if having 2 is a good deal? Fuck yes it is!

I'd swap out the fusable link for a replaceable fuse like this (you do not need a 400 amp fuse, that was the first pic I found).

https://www.delcity.net/store/MEGA®-...19019.h_819018

filedata/fetch?id=165449&d=1602943928

fucking autocorrect

I would skip these.

Run dual batteries, wire the winch directly to one of them, then just make sure to let your battery charge up good. AGM batteries do not hold up well to long low draws.

Top Back Refresh