What's new

Dollies: hard wheel vs rubber?

the floor jack with dinky little 3" wheels on the front and 1.5" on the back?
besides, a jack would push right through anything softer than steel tires

Ever see old wheelbarrows where they got a 16" steel tired wheel? they work great in everything but soft sand or mud where they do sink pretty good

any tips for using a jack in gravel? srs question. mine has a bunch of rocks stuck and basically jist gets dragged across.

Oh and I just carry it to the vehicle, but if you aren't strong enough to you can use your new pneumatic tire dolly

plywood sucks, even 3/4 just gets all cracked up
get a 2' piece of 2x12 or whatever and toss that under the front of the jack

or make up a skid that the jack can slide over the ground on, been meaning to weld a piece of plate of the bottom of one of mine just barely higher than the wheels

that is an expensive solution. anything cheaper? :flipoff2:
Ok try this table grade tomato trucks use 4x4 sheets of 1" plywood for something I see them on the side of the road all of the time and if I have an empty truck bed I pick them up.

you want good and serviceable something your grand kids can use or at least sell cause it’s not junk.

Sometimes there’s a 600+# barrel and I don’t have the dedicated barrel dolly, the mag liner doesn’t like it but it does it, 1” bearings rubberish solid plastic wheels. Too many flats on pneumatic equipped dollys.

These are good on hard surfaces but sink in anything soft. anyone wanna do the math for the psi load 2” wide 9.5” tall would carry from a8oo# drum?

what ever it is these shells don’t slow it down, they become one with the tire.
image.jpg

then there’s this pos from hf, Sure it was useful but let 3 200lb gorillas from Virginia use it and they’ll fuck it up for sure two days after it was purchased :lmao:

image.jpg
image.jpg

the floor jack with dinky little 3" wheels on the front and 1.5" on the back?
besides, a jack would push right through anything softer than steel tires

Ever see old wheelbarrows where they got a 16" steel tired wheel? they work great in everything but soft sand or mud where they do sink pretty good
And they suck, so everyone puts an actual wheel on them

I've dropped the blue HF dolly off a 6" drop with a Ford 300 longblock strapped to it and it just bent a wheel a little. And I had to bump it onto a 2x4 sided ledge in order to even get it to the 6" drop. Pretty much anything of the same specs that's a step up in quality should be more than sufficient.

Anyone comprehending a small solid tire dolly is a moron. Get the biggest diameter you can. All else being equal get pneumatic. They go over shit better. They don't make the solid tire dollys in the largest sizes so it's not really a choice, you wanna move big shit anywhere that isn't a polished smooth floor you're getting pneumatic.

Every pound spend on fancy folding bullshit is an extra pound you have to drag around.

I'm pretty sure that half the people in here haven't touched a dolly in decades and have just sat around with their thumb up their ass while someone two decades younger does that job.

Oh and I just carry it to the vehicle, but if you aren't strong enough to you can use your new pneumatic tire dolly
I'm pretty sure that half the people in here haven't touched a dolly in decades and have just sat around with their thumb up their ass while someone two decades younger does that job.
Funny, I used a Magliner handtruck to roll a floorjack up my driveway after dodging around 2 trucks and a bunch of crap carrying the jack out of the garage. :flipoff2:

And they suck, so everyone puts an actual wheel on them
little narrow pizza cutter or 5" wide tire?

been wanting to make one about 5" wide or so with a tiny bit of crown to it, the solid foam filled tire on my wheelbarrow just makes pushing anything near a full load anywhere so frickin' difficult. You can hear it squeaking and squacking as it is smooshed along.

Scored a magliner gemeni for 90 bucks off offerup, fresh posting because they seem to sell super quick. Usee but just cosmetic. Air filled tires, but i will fill with nitrogen :flipoff2:

I feex I feex

this reminds me of a hispanic handiman that worked at a company i used to work on. Quality of work was a solid 5 out of 10, but he sure got A for effort.

now i gots two dollies. sweet

So I have a made in USA appliance hand dolly, rated for like 800lb or something, but its git small hard wheels.

It seems that movers use the dollies with the bigger pneumatic tires, even for things like fridges and heavier furniture.

Should I trade my small hard plastic wheel dolly out? The only thing I like about it that it has a strap to strap in whatevee youre holding.

this is what I currently have (but bought for 116 a yer ago)

I started in the moving industry in 79 and have i am sure more time pushing dollies then any 20 of you put together , that said for lighter things ( light to medium boxes ,med size furniture etc, ) i prefer magliners with air filled tires , heavier loads an appliance dolly with 6 inch hard rubber ( not plastic) wheels . the hard rubber will go over things that the plastic ones will skid on . air tires are great for med to light loads on gravel / dirt . . extream loads ( 500 pounds and up) i have a 6 foot tall Dutro " Brute" with kick back wheels . i move safes now and use this model a dozen or so times a week and have had as much as 1800# s on mine before . i have had the same one since 2003 with the only problem was an extreamly worn strap that i just replaced 2 weeks ago !

Dana 80, bridgeport turret with head, Ford 300, I've yet to find an object small enough to be man portable that the blue HF special won't move over my unpaved driveway and broken ass concrete walkways.

If a big shitty dolly isn't enough you don't need a better dolly, you need different equipment. Like a forklift. Or ramps, rollers, a skid and a come along.

Top Back Refresh