What's new

Dog question- she's acting drunk

1981K20

Up North
Member Number
Loc
North of MT but south of AK
7yr old lab, otherwise healthy. Was into some garbage earlier but peed her bed (she NEVER goes in the house) and is suddenly acting drunk. Came on pretty quick.

Obvious is food poisoning but she's literally acting drunk, can barely stand up and looks off into space.

Anyone ever experience this? Kinda worried :frown:

I'd reccomend calling the vet asap. I'd guess some form of metabolic imbalance, poisoning or neurological issue, and anything causing that behavior that quick is probably pretty serious.

I'm gonna give it an hour and see. Google says food poisoning will cause some of her symptoms and the vet is over an hour and a half away. I don't mind driving there by any means but if the dumbass just got into some stuff and just needs to throw up it'd be a costly overreaction.

Screenshot_20230222-192419_Chrome.jpg

You don't smoke pot do you?
Once in a while but generally no. None in the house anyway so couldn't be that. She was into garbage tho, there was everything from a cut up cucumber to parts of an old sandwich on the couch when wife got up. Was normal all day then laid down. When I got home 1/2 hr later she wasn't excited as usual and peed her bed without getting up.

She's on the couch now, responsive and breathing well but not right. Haven't tried to have her stand up in the past hour but she's still not feeling good. Eyes normal. Nose wet but her stomach is rumbling a bit if you put your hand on it.

Gonna monitor for a bit. Appreciate the responses so far btw

Once in a while but generally no. None in the house anyway so couldn't be that. She was into garbage tho, there was everything from a cut up cucumber to parts of an old sandwich on the couch when wife got up. Was normal all day then laid down. When I got home 1/2 hr later she wasn't excited as usual and peed her bed without getting up.

She's on the couch now, responsive and breathing well but not right. Haven't tried to have her stand up in the past hour but she's still not feeling good. Eyes normal. Nose wet but her stomach is rumbling a bit if you put your hand on it.

Gonna monitor for a bit. Appreciate the responses so far btw
Gotcha. You could induce vomiting maybe. My dog ate some weed and was like that for 3 days once is why I asked.

If your garbage what did you throw out? Anything natural fruit will ferment given the right conditions if in a cup with ice that was thrown out .Grapes I believe can cause kidney failure if I remember correctly.

Feed the dog some hydrogen peroxide with a turkey baster. It will make it throw up.
We did that for Mom's pomeranian after he snuck into the garage and ate part of a bait block. He lived another decade.

I probably don't need to tell you to administer the stuff outside.

If you can get your hands on activated charcoal capsuls or any activated charcoal won't hurt to give it some will absorb the toxins and shit and piss out.

Yep we did that with my sheltie after he found a bait block ,then along with the charcoal.

My 6 yo lab is acting drunk as well- but in her defense she is a few beers deep into the night!

Seriously though, prob worth double checking what was in there, and or inducing vomiting.

My brother's dog had this happen. It should clear up. It was not because of food issues. It took a couple weeks for it to straighten out. I do not know the cause, or the reason, because not my dog, but sometimes it happens. get ready to clean your dog, and give it somewhere comfortable to sleep.

My brothers dog is a 14 year old pit mix, and is as fine as an old dog can be with patience.

No, nothing weed related. I have some in the garage but she wasnt in there this week. As for the garbage I'm not sure wtf was in there but it was probably old and nasty. I'm gonna keep an eye on her, there's a 24hr vet available if it gets worse

No, nothing weed related. I have some in the garage but she wasnt in there this week. As for the garbage I'm not sure wtf was in there but it was probably old and nasty. I'm gonna keep an eye on her, there's a 24hr vet available if it gets worse
She'll probably be fine.

My lab had a couple seizures that last few months of his life. Acted sort of drunk.

First time it happened, he recovered within a day. 2nd time, took longer, and 3rd time was it. Died a week or so later.

Kept pacing, doing circles and getting stuck in weird places, like between the shitter and bathtub, in random corners, etc.

Not saying it's that. He was almost 15.

Crazy dog... really only starting being old a year or so before. I'd have to help him in the truck or on the couch, heback legs wouldn't work as well as he thought they could.

Annnnyyyway.. got my allergies going now.

I had a dod do this after eating orange peels. I did nothing and dog was fine after a bit.

I had a dod do this after eating orange peels. I did nothing and dog was fine after a bit.
That's weird. Mine eat oranges and peels quite often.
When I had 2 dogs either would spit the peels out, but then the other would steal it and gobble it down.

Avocado?

I think ours was drunk the other night, but he got into some of the fermented apples outside.

Top Back Refresh