What's new

Does orbital position in relation to full hydro reservoir matter?

tribal4krawler

DKA Motorsports
Member Number
Howe has been telling our team that we need to have the orbital be lower than the full hydro reservoir. They’re suggesting possibly putting the reservoir in the back of the chassis up by the rear mount radiator (or move the orbital much lower which has its own issues) to solve some of the pump killing issues we’re having. I feel like this is ridiculous as I’ve always only heard about having the reservoir be higher than the pump (which it definitely is). We only got about 20 hours on the Howe trophy truck pump and it is completely smoked and costing us over a grand to rebuild so we’re trying to figure out a solution to where we don’t have to rebuild pumps several times a year. This is on our 4400 TMR car by the way. What do you guys think?

I think that having a 6ft-10ft feed line from a rear rez to your pump is going to kill pumps a lot faster…
Right. And Howes info is confusing.

In their literature it's states never exceed 24", but when I talk to them they say at least 12" and didn't mention a max

Industrial and Ag equipment has those orbitals feet above the pump and reservoir in many applications and have no problems so the orbital positions seems meaningless.

Heat kills hydraulics. So does repeatedly trying to pump air (no lube). I'd say the problems are one or the other (and maybe both, why not?)
If you are killing pumps fast I'd lean toward heat...

We still aren’t sure why it got so hot or was cavitating. It has 2 Howe steering coolers in the system, tons of volume. One of the possibilities Howe said it could be was the PSC ram leaking internally but we didn’t see any signs of that (but we’re rebuilding that as well)

I need to temp gun it but on my shake down run a few weeks back I found a leaking fitting, which led to checking fluid level.... that resi was HOT. I had to pour a bottle of water on it.

The Howe cooler I have isn't very big so I wouldn't be surprised if they aren't working well.

Keep in mind this was just hitting trails, not racing, not bouncing, not even pushing it hard.

Over the years ive messed with hydraulic steering it seems that cavitation kills pumps fastest .. My lastest full hydro setup is a psc cbr pump with a custom aluminum reservoir hard plumbed / mounted on top of the pump.. The fluid returns to the bottom of the resi to prevent aeration and Im using a 7 psi rad cap .. Even something like how you mount your cooler can cause aeration in the system ... My orbital is about 6 " higher than the reservoir and this hasnt been an issue for me

issue has been always internal flow/pressure control in ps style pumps not the return to reservoi
it internally circulates oil and heats/aerates it.
i think they finally after decades made pumps with external control people should use them with full hydro

issue has been always internal flow/pressure control in ps style pumps not the return to reservoi
it internally circulates oil and heats/aerates it.
i think they finally after decades made pumps with external control people should use them with full hydro
if I understand correctly the downside to this is variable flow with engine rpm if you run external control.

Post in thread 'CBR Steering Pumps - OEM Applications?'
CBR Steering Pumps - OEM Applications?

Also, tribal4krawler this may be of interest to you and just another reason to reach out

From that same thread I just linked, this sounds pretty similar to your original question/problem

With proper system design, the benefits of a larger displacement flow-regulated pump far outweigh the challenges of using a non-regulated pump and as an example I will go back to Josh Blyler, 2020 KOH king. When I started getting involved with Big B, they were going through a pump per race (for a multitude of reasons). Since implementing my suggested changes and switching to my reservoir, filter, and coolers, they now only swap out their flow-regulated TT pumps once per year out of precaution.

Howe has been telling our team that we need to have the orbital be lower than the full hydro reservoir. They’re suggesting possibly putting the reservoir in the back of the chassis up by the rear mount radiator (or move the orbital much lower which has its own issues) to solve some of the pump killing issues we’re having. I feel like this is ridiculous as I’ve always only heard about having the reservoir be higher than the pump (which it definitely is). We only got about 20 hours on the Howe trophy truck pump and it is completely smoked and costing us over a grand to rebuild so we’re trying to figure out a solution to where we don’t have to rebuild pumps several times a year. This is on our 4400 TMR car by the way. What do you guys think?
Is this a billet aluminum TT pump or one of the older cast iron ones? Orbital height relative to the pump doesn't matter at all and all this talk of internal flow regulation versus non-regulated versus externally regulated does greatly impact cavitation, heat and pump life.

Trying hard not to write a novel right now... TT pumps are 20cc/rev displacement and none of the billet aluminum TT pumps out there from either Howe or PSS have any internal valving whatsoever. That means that the pump displacement multiplied by shaft RPM is the theoretical flow rate that the pump is trying to circulate THROUGH the system.

This works out to be roughly 5 GPM per 1000 RPM so if you are spinning a TT pump at 6K RPM, it is trying to move 30 GPM but can't physically pull that much in from the reservoir. Even though these billet pumps are not regulated, they will hit a max flow rate dependent on plumbing and system design. With a -16 feed hose and few PSI in the reservoir, I have found that limit tends to be around 15 GPM. This means that at 6K RPM, approximately 50% of the volume within the internal pump cavities consists of vapor bubbles from cavitation which both erodes away at the pump internals and generates massive amounts of heat for two reasons:
1) Pushing 15+ GPM through the hoses/orbital/etc. generates heat due to friction/pressure loss through valve orifices and;
2) Those cavitation bubbles in the pump collapse when they hit the high pressure side of the pump and just like how a diesel engine works by compression ignition, an imploding vapor bubble sees a huge increase in heat as the volume of the bubble is instantly compressed.

There are external flow control valves available (not to be confused with external pressure relief valves) that regulate the flow rate going to the orbital, however, they return the excess flow to the reservoir which does not help the pump cavitation issue because the pump is still ultimately limited by how much oil it can pull in from the reservoir.

The RDT pump that I introduced as my own alternative to the TT pump has the same displacement but is an all new design and does feature internal flow control. Some might argue that because I am dumping the excess flow straight back into the pump body, that it is generating heat. And to answer this honestly, it does, however we have to ultimately compare this to the alternative of a non-regulated pump of the same displacement at high RPM. When the pump has an internal flow control valve, it is limiting the max discharge flow rate to, in my case, approximately 10 GPM which the pump can easily pull enough in from the reservoir to replace. While cavitation will still be inevitable to an extent at high RPM, having the excess flow dump straight back into the pump results in a very significant net reduction in cavitation and hence, heat load.

This isn't just theory either. I have data from a race team earlier this summer that started testing out the RDT on two trucks where they had previously been using billet (non-regulated) TT pumps. Just by swapping to the internally flow controlled RDT pump, vortex reservoir, and my high flow filter/relief valve but keeping their original cooler (radiator style), they saw steering temps drop by 60 degrees F compared to the old setup while at the same time improving steering performance and feel, particularly at low rpm.

As for the ram, the only reason I would suspect a leaking seal is if you are able to turn the steering wheel without moving the tires or vice versa. Otherwise, it is very unlikely that the piston seal is failing.

Feel free to shoot me a message or call tomorrow and I'd be happy to go over your setup with you.

It is the billet TT Howe pump. At idle since we bought the TMR car it has always been difficult to turn the wheels at idle, so I suspect the pump was already burnt up when we got it. We just got it back from being rebuilt. Ken is going to call you tomorrow (he already ordered an orbital from you a week or two ago).

Top Back Refresh