What's new

Does it exist? Temperature sender/switch combo.

The Unknown

Member Number
Loc
PNW
Does anyone know if something like this exists? After a few hours of searching and coming up with nothing, I suspect not but here goes anyways.

I am looking for a temperature sending unit that will send a signal at a preset temperature to activate a fan relay that I can also monitor with a gauge

I can find either or, but not a multi/combo unit. I am trying to avoid using two seperate sensors to monitor and control my transmission temps.

As I type this I am wondering if there is maybe a gauge that can send a signal at a desired temperature rather than relying on the temp sender to serve both purposes. Back to searching......

Any leads would be much appreciated.

Are you running an ecu? Anything with I/O should be able to output the desired signal.

I’m assuming 12v dc. I have no real answer but are you looking for a sensor that will turn on an electric rad fan that you can also hook a gauge to?

The temp measuring is an analog function and sent to a device that uses the logic to turn fan off and on. I rigged up something similar using an arduino several years ago, but I haven’t played with that stuff since then.

Easier to do 2 sensors or get a system that processes the signal and triggers the fan on its own (aka programmable ECU)

On/off fan or PWM?

Several of us are using the Widget Man FPM module to drive a pwm fan with just about any gauge sensor you want.

On/off fan or PWM?

Several of us are using the Widget Man FPM module to drive a pwm fan with just about any gauge sensor you want.
You can convert on/off fan to pwm control with a SSR, widget man includes instructions on how to do that.

This can piggy back a OEM gauge sensor or use just about any sensor you'd want to use.

Are you running an ecu? Anything with I/O should be able to output the desired signal.
Yes, I am going to be running the Terminator X. I was going to use it but I believe I will still need an additional sensor if I want to monitor the temp with a gauge rather than the 3.5 screen. A single sensor that does both just seemed like the easy set and forget solution.
I’m assuming 12v dc. I have no real answer but are you looking for a sensor that will turn on an electric rad fan that you can also hook a gauge to?
Pretty much.
Easier to do 2 sensors or get a system that processes the signal and triggers the fan on its own (aka programmable ECU)
Agreed. 2 sensors was my original plan but figured I'd see if there was a single sensor option that I was unaware of. I'd like to use the ECU but monitoring the temp with a gauge seems to require an additional sensor regardless.

Now that I think of it, I did see a post of yours a while back talking about rewiring a 3 wire temp sensor to feed a temp input to the Holley. I'll look into that option and see if I will do what I am looking for.
On/off fan or PWM?

It is a brushed fan. I was going to use the Widgetman controller but decided on just running it on'off to simplify and free up some space for other wiring and such.
You can convert on/off fan to pwm control with a SSR, widget man includes instructions on how to do that.
Yeah, his controller looks pretty neat and super simple. I actually posted another thread referencing his wiring diagram. I am trying to do the same thing (PWM an SSR) with my Holley system for my radiator fan. I am a retard when it comes to all of this so I may end up using his controller in the end anyways lol.

I was planning to do the same for my trans fan but decided against it. The fan is a small draw, even on start up and runs very quiet on full blast. In this case I am going to sacrifice the PWM control in favor of simplicity.

This will let you trigger a relay from the gauge directly.
This looks to be exactly what I am looking for. Might be the easiest route too. Thank you!

Use a canbus for your gauges and trigger the fan with the ecu. Dakota digital gauges have it figured out. Use a bim module, Bim 01-2 hlly.

Yes, I am going to be running the Terminator X.
Then there is no reason for any of this shit.

Use an input to monitor trans temp,
an output to trigger the fan
and if you're hell bent about using a gauge to monitor the temps (stupid) you can use another output to drive a ground signal mimicking a regular Autometer gauge sender.

If you're low on I/Os, you can get the expander box for cheap and it even comes with a thermistor input which means no fucking around with a pullup resistor, like I posted a while back.

Top Back Refresh