What's new

Documentary: "The social dilemma"

Fishnbeer

The dude abides
Member Number
Loc
CA
Please watch this doc if you have kids using social media.

Wife and I just watched a doc on netflix - The Social Dilemma. It is about social media and its influences, and pulls back the curtain and reveals all the workings that go on behind your screen.

The doc is created by and stars former tech employees, engineers, coders etc who were employed by google, facebook, youtube etc around 2008 - 2010 when all these things were really being developed. Things started off innocent, like a way to say hi to grandma or put up a video of animals at the zoo, but morphed into a business model of making people addicted to their phone for profit.

It is well known that these companies make crazy amounts of money off selling your data for advertising, but what is disturbing is what length they go to get your attention and get you to keep your face staring at the screen. The more time you stare at the screen, the more money they get. Teams of engineers with college degrees in psychology developed algorithms and use supercomputers running AI to get you to stare at your screen. Basically the smartest people with the smartest computers with an endless amount of cash at their disposal are doing everything they possibly can to get you addicted to your phone. They can calculate your mood, your feelings and your thoughts with shocking precision and focus the next thing on your screen to feed into your emotions. Just to get you to stare at the screen longer.

A lot of people already kinda knew that, but when you pull back the curtain it reveals some disturbing statistics about childhood depression rate increasing, and increased rate of teen suicide/self harm and children now value the life of their online digital clone more than their actual self. The developing mind of a teenager is no match for these teams of psychologists and supercomputers, they are straight hooked by design.

But it goes further than that and goes into how it creates division in society and creates radical groups and gets people going down rabbit holes on conspiracy theories and vaccinations and forces people into these echo chambers of thought and the end result is a human who is incapable of understanding how someone can have a different opinion than their own.

Very disturbing. Must watch
also the director/engineer Tristan Harris did an interview on joe rogan podcast

So, we're in the matrix?

yes.

it was interesting hearing Tristin on JRE talking about the outsized impact on "developing countries". places where the Facebook Team doesn't speak all the right languages and where Facebook is nearly the only "free" way to access the internet. Talk about significant information manipulation

It's a great documentary and you should watch it with your kids/teens. My 14yr old watched it and was like meh .... so we're gonna sit and watch it again ... together

So thats what Austin's plan is for this place!!....... :lmao:
:flipoff2:

a93ae16b66d54321ae3c134d4dde93eb.jpg

Yup. I fucked with Facebook for about a year, 10 years ago. Realized that shit is not for me. Have not touched any of them since then. Except for this place and utube.

Please watch this doc if you have kids using social media.

Wife and I just watched a doc on netflix - The Social Dilemma. It is about social media and its influences, and pulls back the curtain and reveals all the workings that go on behind your screen.

The doc is created by and stars former tech employees, engineers, coders etc who were employed by google, facebook, youtube etc around 2008 - 2010 when all these things were really being developed. Things started off innocent, like a way to say hi to grandma or put up a video of animals at the zoo, but morphed into a business model of making people addicted to their phone for profit.

It is well known that these companies make crazy amounts of money off selling your data for advertising, but what is disturbing is what length they go to get your attention and get you to keep your face staring at the screen. The more time you stare at the screen, the more money they get. Teams of engineers with college degrees in psychology developed algorithms and use supercomputers running AI to get you to stare at your screen. Basically the smartest people with the smartest computers with an endless amount of cash at their disposal are doing everything they possibly can to get you addicted to your phone. They can calculate your mood, your feelings and your thoughts with shocking precision and focus the next thing on your screen to feed into your emotions. Just to get you to stare at the screen longer.

A lot of people already kinda knew that, but when you pull back the curtain it reveals some disturbing statistics about childhood depression rate increasing, and increased rate of teen suicide/self harm and children now value the life of their online digital clone more than their actual self. The developing mind of a teenager is no match for these teams of psychologists and supercomputers, they are straight hooked by design.

But it goes further than that and goes into how it creates division in society and creates radical groups and gets people going down rabbit holes on conspiracy theories and vaccinations and forces people into these echo chambers of thought and the end result is a human who is incapable of understanding how someone can have a different opinion than their own.

But would you pay monthly for an ad and data collection free facebook version?

Social media did not create conspiracy theories. There have been "banned books" being passed around since forever. Pages photocopied from somewhere describing lizard people and jews and rothshilds bla bla bla. I have like 5 of those in the cellar from the 80 to 95.

Social media simply placed this out in the open, and people are anon enough online (or so they think) to not care about real world impact.

If you teach your kids critical thinking and zero bias or preconceived bullshit, and give them a stable family and social construct, they will never fall for conspiracy shit - ever.

Just don't put them into public schooling. That would make it worse if they are "on a fence"....

A facebook banning things like "plandemic" is not disabling free speech. It's like banning posts that say drinking bleach will cure you of covid.

But I am on the fence too. Yes, I wish to protect the many from some misguided retards - just look at France and their Muslim "free speech head cutting" issue.

Last edited:
Yup. I fucked with Facebook for about a year, 10 years ago. Realized that shit is not for me. Have not touched any of them since then. Except for this place and utube.

Youtube does similar. Ever get sucked into all the recommended videos for a couple hours?

I mean, I've watched a lot of cool stuff because of it, but I get got by the youtube innerwebs all the time.

:lmao: if your standard for freedom is "things that a muslim won't kill somebody over" then you are in a much worse place than I thought

He lives in a country where it's actually AGAINST THE LAW to be a holocaust denier. Yes, you must think this way or else you get jail.
Holy shit.

Youtube does similar. Ever get sucked into all the recommended videos for a couple hours?

I mean, I've watched a lot of cool stuff because of it, but I get got by the youtube innerwebs all the time.

I think just about all of us have gotten sucked down the rabbit hole at one time or another. But I recently noticed on YT that you dont even have to select the next video, it auto loads it for you. If you kinda have it on in the background or something it will just keep rollin and always have the next one in the chamber ready to fire.

So you just now saw this?....Too late for you.:homer:

I never joined FB, IG pinterest or any of those things. I guess you could consider internet forums to be social media, but aside from that I dont participate in those kinds of things.

But regardless, I still get sucked into these youtube rabbit holes from time to time. I limit my use of forums and youtube to stuff related to my hobbies - welding/fab/4x4 stuff, model rockets, motorcycles and fishing. So I would think if you limited your usage structly to hobby type things and keep it non political and steer clear or tin foil hat type stuff you are less likely to experience the negative side affects associated with social media

I tried to watch it, but it felt like I was being preached at. it felt like a preacher judging me from the screen. Like every decision that I made was wrong. I didn’t need some Netflix show to tell me that. I’m quiet aware.

We watched this last weekend, crazy stuff. Hacked was a good one as well.

Last edited:
Top Back Refresh