What's new

Do I need a trailer dolly?

montrose818

Banned
Member Number
Loc
SoCal
Bought five trailers and hes got some dollies. Air ride. 500 bucks.

I am thinking I need one?

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_160921.jpg
    IMG_20210805_160921.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 77
Do you pull doubles? Certain Sysco yards are looking for transport contractors right now. You hook up to their trailers and go but use their dolly.

I used to be able to buy them at $250 a pop and I couldn’t find a use for them other than pulling a trailer around the yard with my pickup lol. The axle could be used for a project I guess

I dont pull anything now but have a '15 cascadia daycab coming. How well does Sysco pay? Their recruiter reached out to us a while back.

Most Id do is same as you, I have a gooseneck that Id like to be able to pull with a truck that is too tall for a GN or 5er hitch.

Do you pull doubles? Certain Sysco yards are looking for transport contractors right now. You hook up to their trailers and go but use their dolly.

I used to be able to buy them at $250 a pop and I couldn’t find a use for them other than pulling a trailer around the yard with my pickup lol. The axle could be used for a project I guess

I turned one into a cart of sorts for my farmer buddy. I removed the 5th wheel hitch and plated across the frame just in front of the axle with 3/4" steel. Put a goose neck ball in the center of the new plate and unlocked the brake cans.

He uses it to gather round bales by himself. Pulls the 40' goose and dolly behind his tractor and drops the combo using the 3 point and a quick release pintle hitch he had laying around. I made a leg for the dolly that's short enough to not need to be put up/down but long enough for the hitch to be able to fit under the ring. He loads the trailer full of bales, hooks back up and then drives back to the storage area and unloads. Before I came up with this idea it required either 2 people a tractor and truck/trailer or 1 guy with a tractor on each each end to load & unload the truck/trailer. It was super simple to build and it made my buddies life waaaay easier.

Last edited:
If you have the trailers and the cash I would buy atleast 1, they are super handy if you ever need to move a trailer with anything other than a full semi tractor.

You just bought 5 trailers from the dude...... Tell that guy you will be taking two dollies for $500 along with the 5 trailers and see what he says.

I could write a whole post on this dude. Supposedly his dad owns a company, but he is sketchy as hell to deal with. Tells me to meet him 4.30am then shows up at 8. Says 3 of the trailers some guy paid him top dollar for months ago and just waiting to pick them up, next day asks me when I am picking them up :confused: two weeks of thus.

but I got the titles today, at the business, in the name of the business, all legit and signed off fresh.

He aint doing 500 for two. He said hell ask his dad about 500 for one :homer:

Iron planet has those also once in a while as well as richie brothers.

Air ride dolly for $500 seems like a pretty good deal. Leaf sprung dollys go $500-1k around here.

I'd buy it simply because it will be super handy one day when you need to move a trailer and all your tractors are out doing shit with their own trailers but you have a straight truck in the yard.

Air ride dolly for $500 seems like a pretty good deal. Leaf sprung dollys go $500-1k around here.

I'd buy it simply because it will be super handy one day when you need to move a trailer and all your tractors are out doing shit with their own trailers but you have a straight truck in the yard.
Those are pretty useless IMO. I have one single wheel dolly and I hate it. I have a bunch of tandem dollys and they work a ton better.

With everything that montrose wants to move will need air to release the brakes. That means no pulling it around with any old straight truck or a piece of equipment like a loader.

All my shit doesn’t have spring park brakes. I use the old style air parking brakes. I drain the air tank and they roll around. In this case dollys are worth their weight In Gold.

That is unless the op is going into business to pull doubles then buy away.

Those are pretty useless IMO. I have one single wheel dolly and I hate it. I have a bunch of tandem dollys and they work a ton better.

With everything that montrose wants to move will need air to release the brakes. That means no pulling it around with any old straight truck or a piece of equipment like a loader.

All my shit doesn’t have spring park brakes. I use the old style air parking brakes. I drain the air tank and they roll around. In this case dollys are worth their weight In Gold.

That is unless the op is going into business to pull doubles then buy away.
I figured he had some straight trucks with air brakes.

Why are they so useless? Stability and loading/unloading the tongue?

The
I figured he had some straight trucks with air brakes.

Why are they so useless? Stability and loading/unloading the tongue?
tounge blows. It’s never at the right height. Need to use a stupid usually broken jack to get it to the right height. Depending on the load they are pretty heavy to lift because you need to roll the tire a bit.

I have had some cases where the hitch was too high sitting there naturally. Then you have to get a skidsteer or the like to push it down. Pretty much a pain in the ass.

I use mine to pull my crushers, screeners, feeders in places where a truck won’t drive. Sand pits are bad for getting the otr trucks stuck. Hook a dolly to a 40t loader and you can go anywhere. Then when you get in a bind you always have the stomp the brakes and curl the bucket move.

You don’t realize how powerful the curl is on a loader. You try pulling it out on 1st gear it doesn’t move and tires just spin. You stomp the brakes and curl something is gonna move or break lol.

I use mine to pull my crushers, screeners, feeders in places where a truck won’t drive. Sand pits are bad for getting the otr trucks stuck. Hook a dolly to a 40t loader and you can go anywhere. Then when you get in a bind you always have the stomp the brakes and curl the bucket move.

You don’t realize how powerful the curl is on a loader. You try pulling it out on 1st gear it doesn’t move and tires just spin. You stomp the brakes and curl something is gonna move or break lol.
One curl at a time is exactly how I park my bald solid tired 2wd open diff POS behind my garage. :laughing:

Can I buy one of these and tow a 5th wheel or a gooseneck trailer; if I wanted to?
With what? Your Bronco?

A small trailer? Sure, probably. But you'd save 1k of weight building your own dolly.

A big trailer? It would probably move it but it would be "around the yard" type use only and even then you should probably have a flat yard.

Can I buy one of these and tow a 5th wheel or a gooseneck trailer; if I wanted to?
img_20210805_160921-jpg.jpg

this is one of the reasons i want it. I have a 40 foot gooseneck, but the new trucks are too tall and trailer tongue isnt high enough to clear. Its either lift the trailer, or a dolly. I thought about building one as well, because I dont need 20k capacity on the dolly, but thats yet another project :homer:

I looked at those safety hitch systems that you guys posted last time I asled, but they are pretty expensive

Top Back Refresh