What's new

DKA Motorsports OG Yamaha YXZ1000R

tribal4krawler

DKA Motorsports
Member Number
Just recently pulled this one out of long term storage with the intent of cleaning it up to sell, but now am debating just keeping it and using it for desert racing. (Because obviously we don’t already have too many racecars)

9334C7B5-ABD6-4AE0-8ED2-7949B15D40D8.jpeg

I first bought this car back in 2018 with the intent of racing it in Ultra4. I loved that it had a manual sequential transmission, and thought it’d be cool. (It is, but NOT in the rocks). I figured it’d be fun to talk about what I’ve done with this car over the past 3 years of ownership and racing it in TDRA, Dirt Riot, and Ultra4 for anyone who may be thinking about getting a Yamaha or already has one.

A2F3246B-3559-4197-B831-819C827E5532.jpeg
DDFB17CD-6B0C-4414-BEC5-860A0B95EF6A.jpeg

so this is where we started. The car felt really good on Kings, but was super floaty in tight turns (I rolled the car twice on the first lap of my first utv race lol) so I realized TORCS racing was probably not going to work out for me. I entered a TDRA race in the fall of 2018 where we were really happy with the performance, but nailed a basketball sized rock and destroying a wheel and tire which ended our race. After this I started planning for the Ultra4 2019 season and researching mods.

AA07A06B-F08B-4249-BD5F-8002331FD411.jpeg

Last edited:
Not knowing ANYTHING about KoH other than what I’d read on Pirate, I really didn’t know what I needed. I knew from driving the car that 1st gear was way too long and I often stalled the car just trying to load on the trailer, so I ordered a GYTR transmission kit which would lower first gear 70%, 2nd gear 30%, and I believe 3-5th gears 10%. I also had Yamaha put in a new clutch (the car was still under warranty at the time so I was trying to keep it that way). I also purchased a factory UTV 3/4 UMHV skidplate, and 30x10x14 ITP UltraCross Rs. We stocked up on spare axle shafts and tie rods (I’d already broken one rear axle shaft) and we called it good and ready to race with a fresh new wrap displaying our Texas pride. Unbeknownst to me, 30s was a TERRIBLE call, as was having Yamaha install the GYTR kit.

FA8199E4-E206-4C73-8D0C-70729CFF726C.jpeg
B621D4DE-5DC4-45EA-BACA-B7D9E8BBDB60.jpeg

King of the Hammers 2019 was CRAZY, with the start of the trip being pouring down rain and mud, turning into nice weather for a couple days for our race, and then snowing a couple days after that before being nice again. We showed up, and immediately went to go tech the car. We had a couple minor issues (fire extinguishers out of date and dzsus on the roof instead of bolts) but other than that we were good to go. Being that Lance and I had never raced there before, and didn’t know anyone else racing it was a weird feeling not knowing what to do. We did a little bit of prerunning but I was terrified of breaking the car before we got to race, so I didn’t qualify. We started the UTV race WAY in the back (I think like 3rd from last) next to a guy we met and ended up being friends with (Tony McAbee, also in a YXZ at the time). We took off, and almost immediately started passing people on the lakebed. We could see their cars bucking and bouncing and we literally couldn’t feel anything. Those King IBPs had us “floating on a cloud of titties” for real. We actually had the debate during one whoops section where we passed at least 15-20 UTVs that we might be running too fast, but the car felt great so I stayed in the throttle. We passed one of the Greaves in a YXZ coming into Cougar Buttes, which was pretty cool but then immediately got into a major traffic jam with UTVs rolled over everywhere. I made my first critical racing error by getting impatient and decided to back up a very steep vertical ledge to get over to a bypass trail. It took everything the car had, but we eventually made it up and around and we thought we were good to go until suddenly I had no clutch, no gears, nothing. We were dead in the water watching the traffic jam clear up quickly and all the people we passed earlier went cruising by. We waited about 30 minutes, and the car had clutch again, so we decided to continue on to pit 1B. About 14 miles out of Cougar, the car made a terrific clatter and we had absolutely nothing. Everything was neutral including reverse. We spent the next 7 hours waiting for the Ultra4 sweepers to come pick us up and drag us back to where our pit crew was waiting. Afterwards, I went and talked to Tubeworks (who developed the GYTR kit for Yamaha) and they said vertical reversing is almost always fatal for a YXZ transmission as it completely empties the gearbox of all transmission fluid. They were awesome enough to offer to take the transmission and rebuild it again at a greatly discounted price and with all the tubeworks goodies they could throw at it. As we suspected, the gears had let go, and the clutch was in pieces. We reinstalled the freshly rebuilt TW trans (they had it back to us in a day!!!!!) and went out exploring and spectating for the rest of Hammers week.

I’d quickly realized at KOH that 30s weren’t going to work and that we needed a minimum of 32s to race in the rocks, so a set of 32” Versacross tires were ordered. We’d also cracked our rear mount radiator somehow, so another eBay jeep Cherokee radiator was ordered and installed and we went racing in the Dirt Riot series. We had a lot of success racing in that series with multiple wins and podiums, but broke multiple aftermarket tierods and a couple of axle shafts. We raced 3 times at Wolf Caves, as well as St John’s in Az and Ram Offroad in Colorado and had a blast! We took a big roll at Ram Offroad, breaking a front and rear a-arm but the cage held up perfectly.
2FB0F856-20F0-486D-927D-358BD47FB4CD.jpeg
74637207-1A7D-47C2-834B-4F66680CD023.jpeg

We’d originally planned on racing multiple races with Ultra4 in 2019, but our schedules didn’t really line up well. We did manage to race the Ultra4 Crossbar ranch race which was a lot of fun. It was very muddy, and sketchy on the rocky climbs/downhills. We made an unfortunate mistake between A/B lap that caused us to have to stop for almost 30 minutes to see if we could continue or be DNF but luckily we were able to continue and finished 7th out of 22.
33606B15-7FDB-4E4C-A1E1-E353502C06B8.jpeg

7490A758-AADC-457C-AD10-1F75F7CD7E3F.jpeg

After Crossbar we raced a couple more Dirt Riot rounds, and finished up 1st in Central Division for 2019. I bought the Comanche, and started that ridiculous mad scramble to build that truck in 4 months for King of the Hammers 2020.

We let the Yamaha sit for a while while we worked on the truck, and in mid 2020, I cut the side cage off of the Yamaha with the intention of turning it into more of a prerunner/fun haver, and lowered the door bars substantially. The height of the door bars/skins was a major PITA, as we couldnt see out of the side of the car for big rocks, and changing that was a major improvement.
A17AA067-DB71-489D-A2A1-90165B0688AF.jpeg

Awesome little rig and updates.

I have a buddy that raced in the Arca Series and rented out several of his extra cars/trailers. People/Kids with a racing background looking to get into big boy stuff. With that fleet it seems you could be doing that in no time :usa:

Towards the end of 2020, my wife Alex started showing some interest in racing UTV's, and I talked her into trying a womens amateur race in the Yamaha. I threw on a set of 30" Roxzillas that I had, and sent her out.

alex racer.jpg

Watching her short shift the car at 3-4k RPM (usually shift around 10k rpm LOL) was painful, but she had a good time, the car was having some serious bogging/electrical issues so she didn't place. It was pretty clear watching the car go around the TexPlex short course that the King IBPs and KOH Spec transmission were NOT at home on a short course. Not long after this I picked up Alex's current short course car DKA Motorsports Polaris RZR Turbo XP

and we put the Yamaha back into longterm storage in our backyard

Austin Absolutely not. LOL. I might let a trusted friend borrow a car for a minimal amount and the assurance/knowledge that anything broken would be promptly repaired. We're lucky enough to be in a position that money isn't too big of a problem (other than not being able to afford a 4400, a trophy truck, helicopter etc LOL)

Austin Absolutely not. LOL. I might let a trusted friend borrow a car for a minimal amount and the assurance/knowledge that anything broken would be promptly repaired. We're lucky enough to be in a position that money isn't too big of a problem (other than not being able to afford a 4400, a trophy truck, helicopter etc LOL)

I didn't say it was cheap, there was major negotiations and attorneys involved b/c of the high dollar amounts ... but ... he more than paid for his racing season.

anyway .... All I'm saying is that you could do it and in no time you'd have a Chinook to take your 4400 rig & trailer to races. :laughing:

So, that's my recap of our racing history with the Yamaha thus far.

What have we broken: TIE RODS. ALOT OF THEM. They hold up fine until you smack a big enough rock at roughly 15mph+ and then boom. I'd rather break a tierod than a steering box, and we got to where we could change one out in 5 mins or less, but it was frustrating breaking them so often. I broke 3 front axleshafts, and 2 rear axleshafts, 3 of the breaks were due to rolling/tires still spinning and suddenly catching. 2 axleshafts broke from crawling in the rocks and getting bound up. We also bent 2 front a-arms and broke one rear trailing arm in rollovers.

Would I do it again: NO, probably not. I would have been far better off in a rubberband car, either Polaris or Can Am Turbo. Our biggest problem was we had easily 100 hp less than the turbo cars, and in the flat straights even a mild turbo built car would leave us like we were standing still. Yes, we could have gone turbo (we actually went Kraftwerks Supercharged for a while) but the yxz motors stock are not made for boost. There was definitely something amazing though about banging gears and sliding sideways, and these cars are still immensely popular in the short course series which is what they were really built for.

What's the future hold: I'm seriously considering entering this car in some desert races somewhat local to us - which would be STORR and TDRA. From what I understand, we could also enter this car in some BITD UTV Rally races which do not require aftermarket fuel cells (we did have a 22 gallon JAZ fuel cell but went back to stock fuel cell)

Love reading about your adventures in racing and all the vehicles you guys have fielded.

have an acquaintance that races the short course series in Jay OK i believe it is. he raced a YXZ last time I talked to him but that's been over a year ago now. He said he had the best luck running the 27" bighorns that everyone would take off their SXSs. Gawd all the parts he tore up though. Every race was more broken parts.. lol

Love reading about your adventures in racing and all the vehicles you guys have fielded.

have an acquaintance that races the short course series in Jay OK i believe it is. he raced a YXZ last time I talked to him but that's been over a year ago now. He said he had the best luck running the 27" bighorns that everyone would take off their SXSs. Gawd all the parts he tore up though. Every race was more broken parts.. lol
Yup story of our life too racing short course. MidAmerica (Jay) is ROUGH on cars but it’s so much fun!

Top Back Refresh